Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is Buying Used Humidifier Gross?
Is Buying Used Humidifier Gross?
Hi all, totally new to this and planning to buy a Dreamstation CPAP.

I am getting a good deal on a Dreamstation where everything is brand new (it came as part of the recall) EXCEPT the humidifier, which the private seller is telling me has been used just a few months.

Given how "private" and "personal" such devices are, I wanted to know if it is gross to use a used humidifier?

Is there a chance of contamination?  I mean I will be sure to clean the humidifier thoroughly but still, is it gross?

New humidifiers run about $190, almost half the cost of what I am paying!

Thanks!! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is Buying Used Humidifier Gross?
The humidifier does not touch the user. If another person had used it, it would be the same as if you used it. I would clean it if it needs it, but it doesn't sound gross.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is nothing more than a storage tank and never comes into contact with the user. It is not like a mask that does contact with the user. I wouldn't worry about it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nohing wrong with using a used machine or humidifier, but the humidifier tub can be purchased for less than $16 on Amazon. Just get a new Dreamstation Water Chamber.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My answer isn't any different: it just holds water over which air passes to moisturize the passing air.  Nobody breathes into it.  

When you get it, if you still opt to for some reason, simply spray its interior and exterior with a tub 'n tile cleaner that has bleach and detergent, let it sit for two whole minutes, then use a toothbrush or something like it to gently scrub the surfaces you can easily reach.  Rinse well...three times.  Then fill it and insert it into the machine.  

That's it!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW...
When I got a "loner" CPAP machine while mine was in for warranty work, it had a new reservoir on the loaner.
When I went to pick up my machine and return the loaner, they gave me the reservoir that was on the loaner because, due to health reasons, they could not reuse it.

I ended up with a free reservoir.
Post Reply Post Reply
What everyone else says!  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Just clean it real good. It’s probably cleaner than the plate and silverware at your favorite restaurant for comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2022, 03:54 PM)Nightynite Wrote: Just clean it real good. It’s probably cleaner than the plate and silverware at your favorite restaurant for comparison.

Aw geez, why did you have to go and say that and remind me.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, your favourite restaurant - if it's in a sensible city - has to dunk the plates and silverware in a disinfectant solution,,, so at least the grease spots are sterile Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,526 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.