Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is Dreamwear Nasal Mask compatible with Resmed S9 ?
Is Dreamwear Nasal Mask compatible with Resmed S9 ?
I am side sleeper and have been having difficulty with Wisp nasal mask, as the straps are hurting my neck and face and also leaving impressions on my face that remain for hours !

I recently read about Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask, it being very good and comfortable fit for side sleepers. But the machine I have bought is Remed S9. Can anyone tell me if this mask is  compatible with Resmed S9 ?

Are there any other masks designed or comfortable enough for use by side sleepers ? Does any one know an online store that offers good price on masks ?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is Dreamwear Nasal Mask compatible with Resmed S9 ?
ResMed Airfit P10 is a good mask for side sleepers. Any mask should work with the S9.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Any mask works with any machine. You just have to set it to what type of mask you have. Such as Nasal, Pillows, or Full Face.

Nearly all nasal pillow masks are good for side sleepers since they are so minimalistic. You can get any other mask to work, you just have to be creative. I got my Simplus to work with my side sleeping by using a buckwheat or down pillow then making a divot where it sat. Some people sleep on the edge of their pillow with the mask hanging over the side.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AlexBW,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your Dreamwear mask will work with your S9.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 03:15 PM)AlexBW Wrote: I recently read about Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask, it being very good and comfortable fit for side sleepers.

Are there any other masks designed or comfortable enough for use by side sleepers ? Does any one know an online store that offers good price on masks ?

Thanks.

As a side sleeper as well, my 2¢ is that the Dreamwear nasal mask is quite good, although it takes a few nights of tweaking the adjustment straps to get to the Goldilocks zone of a good fit -- not too tight as to cause soreness under your nose and not too loose as to cause leaking. Also be aware that it sometimes gives the impression it's leaking, because of the air delivery hoses coming down along your cheeks from the great headtop connector, but looking at your Sleepyhead data usually reveals very little leakage.

The P10 is also a good mask for side sleepers, IMHO, not only because of its minimal footprint, but also due to its well-designed exhale diffuser, which is quiet and limits the air blast coming out, much to not only your own comfort, but to your sleeping partner's as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all, very much appreciate the feedback.

After reading your feedback, decided to go for Dreamwear  and bought it a couple of days ago. I find it very comfortable, though I had migraines after the first use, but OK after the 2nd ! :-)

The included manual mentions washing the whole mask except the fabric parts everyday, which requires disconnecting CPAP hose from the elbow and removing the fabric strap and sleeves. ! Is that really necessary ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that unless the comorbidity of your OSA is OCD, then no. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 12:25 AM)AlexBW Wrote: The included manual mentions washing the whole mask except the fabric parts everyday, which requires disconnecting CPAP hose from the elbow and removing the fabric strap and sleeves. ! Is that really necessary ?

No.  Wash it when it looks cruddy or smells funky.  Wiping body oils off the parts that contact your nose is a good idea because it helps the seal.  

Taking the stuff apart every day is bad for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the quick hose disconnect to take the mask to the sink and gently wash just the cushion each morning to remove skin oils. Once per week, I take off the headgear and the plastic elbow so I can use a CPAP hose brush with Dial disinfectant soap to clean out the air passages in the mask "frame". It only takes a few minutes and keeps the thing from getting funky. Hanging up your hose in a "U" shape and filling it with 50-50 Vinegar/Water to soak for a couple hours is also a good thing to do weekly. Also, I recommend that you keep the mask in a dark place (drawer or under your sink) when not in use as UV light isn't good for the materials in the mask.

I've had my Dreamwear mask for seven months now. The cushions get soft and leaky after 4-6 weeks and of course the headgear stretches, but it has become my new favorite mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all again for the helpful feedback. Makes me feel good to know that only the cushion needs cleaning on daily basis ! :-)

I do have a bit of OCD but it is unrelated to the OSA or anything related to OSA ! Hehe !

I am not sure if Dreamwear will be next mask, as I sleep on side almost always and when I do the cushion loses contact with the nose and there is a bit of leak. Unlike other Masks I have used in the past, this one is too loud when there is a leak and the cool air is directed towards my eyes which wakes me up. I have found myself constantly fidgeting with the cushion to keep it in contact with nose.

For the last couple of days, I tightened the straps more than the usual, the cushion sits tight against the nostrils and there is no leak or noise, get to have a good night's sleep. But, there is a bit of pain in the area that comes in contact with the cushion, which is something that bothers me every wake cycle, but I have learned to ignore it. It waits to be seen if it is gonna get worse as the cushion gets old and stiff.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 292 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.