Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is Fisher & Paykel ICON AUTO considered as a good machine?
Is Fisher & Paykel ICON AUTO considered as a good machine?
I have been diagnosed to have sleep apneas since last year. My ahi is around 57 before a treatment. 

I saw a special deal for Fisher & Paykel ICON AUTO ( discounted from around usd400 to around usd200) for many websites, so I decided to try it together with Fisher & Paykel Opus 360 Nasal Pillow Mask. However, after I try it, my ahi has decreased from around 57 to around 5-15 depending on nights 

I have attached a statistic from the last night. It isn't considered as good result as per Sleepyhead stated in the program. I have to admit, It helps decrease ahi from 57 to 5, but some nights, it went up to 15-20 which we can't consider they are good results. 

Is it a problem with the machine or from the mask? Do I need to change my machine to achieve a better result? I think there are leakings so I was using tape to close my mouth when I slept. However, the result still isn't changed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is Fisher & Paykel ICON AUTO considered as a good machine?
yes they are a good machine.
there was one period where the pressure rose higher, perhaps back sleeping or such. no matter at this stage.
I would try min 9, max 18 and get some more nights on it. I would also work on the leaks.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ilovemacross. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The F&P is regarded as a good machine and should be able to treat your apnea, but you might need to tweak the settings a bit.

First, it would help if you could re-format your SleepyHead output to show some relevant data and settings. That will make it easier for us to understand what's going on. There is some good advice here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Your leaks aren't too bad for most of the night, though they have gone up between 04:00 to 06:00, when you experienced some flow limitations and the pressure went up. The leak rate never went above the red line, so that's OK but there is still room for improvement. It's possible a different type of mask would suit you better - getting the right mask is the hardest part of CPAP therapy. But let's stay with what you have for now and see if things improve.

Your pressure setting according to #SleepyHead is 6 - 14, which is quite a lot lower than the 12 - 20 shown in your profile. It looks like this machine tries to keep the pressure low, which means it's not giving you enough to avoid the flow limitations and hypopneas. I'd try increasing the minimum to 9 and the maximum to 16 - I think you'll find that will reduce your AHI considerably. Once you change it, see how you go for a few nights - don't change the settings every day, but allow your body time to adjust to the new settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, thank you for the advice. I will try to adjust it and see whether it is better. Actually, as per the prescription, it should be set at 8 cmH2O. I try to tape my mouth shut. I don't really know why there are still leaks. I will try to raise the minimum to 9 and 16 as per your advice. I always sleep in back position, I will try side position and let you know about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the F&P icon auto for about 1.5 years.  It was a good machine but it did have it's disadvantages.  
No EPR ,no smartstart and it doesn't specify if the event is either obstructive or central.  I believe the new model they just came out with does have these features.  
I use the resmed autoset 10 now and feel it is a superior machine. The price you paid for the icon is actually really good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to be a little more conservative than most here.  I was going to suggest 8 min and 20 max (your chart shows that you don't run away with pressure).  I figure you would need additional adjustments.

You have Hypopneas and Flow Limits driving your highest pressures and increasing your minimium should help with that.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ilovemacross. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Nothing much to add at this point.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ilovemacross,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
With that many hypopneas, yeah, raising the minimum should assist with that.

Make any changes slowly, waiting at least 7-10 days between. We look for trends. One or two nights doesn't mean much. So much goes into a night's quality of sleep, it is difficult to say that pressure did or did not work.

You are also tapping against the maximum that night.

I suggest a minimum of 8 and maybe a maximum of 15 or 16.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,612 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 111 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 143 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,457 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 773 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,275 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 563 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.