Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is My Central Apnea Hopeless?
RE: Is My Central Apnea Hopeless?
We here have a solid opinion that you need the ASV. The main reason for a titration is to convince your doc. With our collective expertise you can be easily set up and optimized so no titration needed.

The LVEF ejection test became required
paraphrasing, whenn patients who badly needed an ASV and had low LVEF discontinued use of the AS, were noncompliant, and died. Preliminary reports on current studies indicate that with the current generation of ASV compliant patients with low LVEF are helped w therapy. I'll let others supply you with the specifics.

The current medical protocol is to take the LVEF test. To be clear, failing that test means that you have a really, really sick heart and you would know that. And that is extremely unlikely.

I believe many of us would say that for us the test is not needed but are hesitant to recommend skipping it since it is the current standard and I know all of us feel the standard is outdated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration protocol for ASV:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With regard to screening for ejection fraction, this is the "official" recommendation. Note if you have no risk for heart failure, we go straight to therapy:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4251]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are at least of average heart health, echocardiogram can be skipped if you so choose. Titration would be redundant and even if done we'd have to coach you on editing the settings.

If you're paying for the machine and the echocardiogram and Titration tests, skip them and pass Go get a machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and expertise.  I was able to purchase a Resmed S9 Adapt SV, which should arrive the middle of next week.  Since it is significantly lowering my AHI, I will continue to use my AirCurve 10 VAuto until the ASV arrives.

Thank you Sleeprider for supplying the titration protocol to get me started!

- Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
OK good to hear. Just wanted to mention, be certain you use data to show you're treated with ASV once you get it, so in the future, you have evidence this is your correct therapy. The plan is to use the ASV to create usage data, then share this with your doc so he'll place it in your health file.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 does not like system files from your computer, so when you pull the SD card from the ASV, lock it, read it, then unlock it before putting it back in the machine. The VPAP Adapt you purchased may or may not have an autoASV mode. It's not a problem. If it is there, that's great, but the older VPAP Adapts did not have the auto mode to adjust EPAP pressure. We will deal with it as part of the titration process. It's a great machine, and once you are dialed in, you can look forward to AHI of 2 or less, and we will work to get you below 1/hour.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2021, 11:06 PM)CasperTBird Wrote: Thank you Stacey, Dave, and Gideon!  I was not aware that ASV could be a viable option if my current AirCurve 10 VAuto doesn't work out.  I was starting to lose faith, and I now have some hope that my apnea is treatable with a different device.

It has been some time now, but the good people here helped me push through on my journey to ResMed ASV.

One of the "stumbling blocks" I had to clear was failing at Bi-Level, which I did. Only used a short term loaner, but it was a disaster. Worse (by far) than my ResMed 10 APAP.

ASV is made for this job. It is treatable.

Bill

Edit: I should have read all the way through. Congrats on the pending ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
CasperTbird, if you have not already done so, be sure to request a copy of the clinical manual for the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt with ASV. Just follow the link for Setup Manuals at the top of the page. Looking forward to you getting started.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion, Sleeprider.  I sent an email this afternoon requesting the clinician's manual.

I'll take a look at the machine when it arrives (hopefully Wednesday) and check if it has ASVauto mode.  If so, hopefully it will be a fairly simple process to adjust the settings as given in the posted Titration Protocol.  Otherwise, I'll probably ask for some help with the first settings to try.

Thank again for all of the helpful advice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,577 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 218 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,088 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 640 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.