Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is air supposed to come from there?
Question 
Is air supposed to come from there?
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new to the whole BiPAP thing. I've had my machine for almost 2 weeks now. Still getting used to it, but it's not so bad since it's only the nasal pillows. I've already found out (from here before I registered I think) that lanolin is the best, most amazing cream available when you have something stuck to your nose all night!

Anyway, my question might seem obvious, but why does air come out of the hose that connects to my nasal pillow? There is a rough, flat spot right at the top, and a constant stream of air comes out of that. Maybe it's because I have a BiPAP? I think it's going to be cold once Winter hits because I live in northern NY and nights are cold in the house pretty much no matter what you do. If the air isn't cold blowing on me, it will probably be cold blowing on my husband. Bigwink

Thanks for any thoughts on this. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is air supposed to come from there?
Hi Katmanndoo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you’re describing the vent, and yes, air is supposed to come out of those holes but there are other pillows masks that have vent holes in a different place on them.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you, as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
perfectly normal, it allows the change speed as needed instead of start and stop, it keeps CO2 from building up in the mask, and when you exhale that is where your breath goes out.

Many people increase the CPAP air temp in the winter, just a thought, but yep it's there all the time, has to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air only flows in one direction, from the machine to the mask. Every mask has vent holes to let out the exhaled air.

If the air gets too cold for you in the winter, you may want to get a Climate Line heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all! I do have heated tubing so I'm sure that helps a little. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airfit P10 mask is a newer model of the FX pillows mask, and uses a much finer diffuser that does not noticeably blow air through a small vent. The jet of air from the FX was disruptive to me, and I switched to the P10 last December. Now I no longer blow air on my wife, or my pillow or arms, whatever. A quiet gentle exchange of air through the P10 diffuser is the best feature of that mask. The exhaust is an essential function to prevent rebreathing of expired air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? SteveIsTired22 7 897 10-10-2022, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mandibular Advancement Devices - is your mouth supposed to be closed ? vrapche031 23 5,397 10-20-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: cbeissel
  Dreamstation vs Vauto in a supposed UARS case fejsbukpejdz 9 1,404 06-26-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: slowriter
  May I see examples of what average ASV charts are supposed to look like? Broomstick 5 1,252 09-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Broomstick
  I thought I was supposed to feel better usertc 14 4,863 12-11-2015, 02:20 AM
Last Post: CHanlon
  [Equipment] What is the VPAP supposed to respond to plasticplumber 3 2,274 02-20-2014, 03:48 AM
Last Post: plasticplumber
  Supposed to get S9 Elite, got S9 VPAP Adapt, Help with settings scottuf 15 5,389 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.