Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is it bad to tolerate over 10 in pressure?
Is it bad to tolerate over 10 in pressure?
I've read everyone has different needs when it comes to pressure, but is it bad to be tolerant to pressures way higher than the average user? Some days ago, I woke up because my machine increased the pressure to 14. 

I was diagnosed severe sleep apnea and my doctor told me I needed 10 of pressure. I though it was ok until I saw most of the people need lower levels. 

Will it be bad in the long term for me? I haven't had a bad night since then and I feel rested, but I am afraid that will cost me my health in the future. 

Thank in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it bad to tolerate over 10 in pressure?
Hi Juango

Your autoset will adjust the pressure to what is needed at a particular time. The required pressure goes up and down depending on a range of factors, but mainly if apneas or hypopneas occur, if you snore or if there are flow restrictions. So setting a single pressure of (say) 10 is a little unrealistic in my view. A lot of doctors do it, and some members here actually prefer a fixed pressure, but I couldn't live with it. My pressure starts at 9.6 and usually goes into the high teens and sometimes low 20s over the course of the night. Your nominal pressure of 10 is not particularly high, and no harm will come if the machine needs to go higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing magic about 10 cm pressure. Many of us use higher pressures. The pressure needed to keep your airway open may change during the night based on sleep position and sleep stage. This is the advantage of the auto CPAP units. Although you were prescribed a pressure of 10 cm, keep in mind that was determined over a very short period of time in a clinical setting. Very few of us use the exact pressure determined from a titration study, and many people on this forum use higher pressures, some up to 25 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 09:08 AM)juanjo Wrote: Will it be bad in the long term for me? I haven't had a bad night since then and I feel rested, but I am afraid that will cost me my health in the future. 

Having untreated apnea or even having apnea that is treated but not sufficiently is more of a health hazard than the pressure used to treat the apnea, in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 09:31 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Juango

Your autoset will adjust the pressure to what is needed at a particular time. The required pressure goes up and down depending on a range of factors, but mainly if apneas or hypopneas occur, if you snore or if there are flow restrictions. So setting a single pressure of (say) 10 is a little unrealistic in my view. A lot of doctors do it, and some members here actually prefer a fixed pressure, but I couldn't live with it. My pressure starts at 9.6 and usually goes into the high teens and sometimes low 20s over the course of the night. Your nominal pressure of 10 is not particularly high, and no harm will come if the machine needs to go higher.

Thanks! I feel relieved.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine does not make enough pressure to hurt you. I used it to help keep my right lung inflated. The doctor did not like me using the oxygen machine to blow it up. Thank goodness things have improved.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi juanjo,
Everyone is different as far as pressure gose, just because others have lower pressure, that doesn't mean that you should. It's great that you are doing so well with your therapy, keep up the good work and don't worry about the pressure hurting you. A pressure of 10CM H2O isn't really that high.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  [Treatment] Can't tolerate CPAP for more than 4h mptrs 8 1,575 10-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.