Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working?
Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working?
I've new to this treatment, so I'm still getting used to wearing a mask and sleeping next to a CPAP machine (A Resmed air sense 10 auto set) which makes a subtle sound (like a whistle). I wonder if that's normal considering it has a powerful fun in-built. It must surely make a sound - I guess!  

When I sleep I don't even realize the machine makes a sound, but my wife says she can hear my inhalation. Nothing to worry about, just a sound similar to Darth Vader's. 

Should your cpap produce any sound? What's your experience? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Juan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working?
The sound mine makes is minimal. I have a white noise machine running which masks most of it, along with masking some of the intermittent traffic outside my window.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree with beej, a little white noise does do wonders.

Another thing you could check is to make sure your humidifier is correctly seated in the machine.  Sometimes, if you don't push it in 100% of the way it doesn't seal properly and can make a little more noise than usual.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense 10 has an all too common defect in what is called the pneumatic block.  These machines are replaced under warranty, and here is one of the more prominent examples of what it sounds like.  If your problem is anything like this, just tell your DME you got one of the lemons.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the CPAP is snoring! Laugh-a-lot
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi juanjo,

Yeah, if it sounds like THAT, and if is under warranty, do, exchange it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
"Darth vader" inhaling noise is very common on the Resmed Airsense 10 machine, and is made worse by the humidifier, particularly when it's not full.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an airsense 10. Fortunately it is very quite.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Got my Air Sense 10 about a week ago.  It whistles when its on and gets a little louder when I take a breath.  I took it back to my provider this morning and was told they all do that and it was the seal in my humidifier tank.  The tech then proceeded to reseat the tank and the seal inside the tank and the noise really diminished.

Of course when I got it home, reassembled everything and put my mask on the noise was back.  I agree with some others that the bedroom is much quieter than the office and as such I'm more sensitive there than in a room full of people also working on their CPAP machines.

The tech told me that if I didn't want or didn't need the humidifier then I could purchase the side panel and do away with the humidifier.  I just placed an order at an online CPAP supplier to get the panel.  Ought to have that in a day or two.

In the meanwhile I've seen one or two posts saying they'd tried soaking the seal inside the tank to expand it and give a better seal.  I'm going to try that tonight.  My wife doesn't hear the whistle but I'm afraid that I'm a little more sensitive on this one.  Besides, the engineer in me wants to try and solve the problem for those times when I want to pop off the side cover and use the humidifier. 

It's a real shame that ResMed doesn't have a fix for this problem. I was really resistant to go to a CPAP machine but when I tried a loaner Air Sense 10 with the side panel and no humidifier I took to it like a duck to water and was getting a great night's sleep for the first time in a while.  This whistling is really souring me to the whole CPAP thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 04:10 PM)SithLord Wrote: Got my Air Sense 10 about a week ago.  It whistles when its on and gets a little louder when I take a breath.  I took it back to my provider this morning and was told they all do that and it was the seal in my humidifier tank.  The tech then proceeded to reseat the tank and the seal inside the tank and the noise really diminished.

Of course when I got it home, reassembled everything and put my mask on the noise was back.  I agree with some others that the bedroom is much quieter than the office and as such I'm more sensitive there than in a room full of people also working on their CPAP machines.

The tech told me that if I didn't want or didn't need the humidifier then I could purchase the side panel and do away with the humidifier.  I just placed an order at an online CPAP supplier to get the panel.  Ought to have that in a day or two.

In the meanwhile I've seen one or two posts saying they'd tried soaking the seal inside the tank to expand it and give a better seal.  I'm going to try that tonight.  My wife doesn't hear the whistle but I'm afraid that I'm a little more sensitive on this one.  Besides, the engineer in me wants to try and solve the problem for those times when I want to pop off the side cover and use the humidifier. 

It's a real shame that ResMed doesn't have a fix for this problem. I was really resistant to go to a CPAP machine but when I tried a loaner Air Sense 10 with the side panel and no humidifier I took to it like a duck to water and was getting a great night's sleep for the first time in a while.  This whistling is really souring me to the whole CPAP thing.

My Airsense 10 Auto is back with Resmed for the same problems as posted. It seems as though one fixed problem creates another. However it is under warranty and I will just keep at them to provide me with an acceptable machine. I too am very conscious of slight noises at night and we do have a very quiet room.  My wife sleeps like a log though and doesn't hear a thing. Oh-jeez

James
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 316 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 141 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 192 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 242 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 2 327 01-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 478 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,639 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.