Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working?
RE: Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working?
Well, I've been in my first month of treatment with the machine. I have learned some tricks to make my CPAP quieter. 

1) First, you can place a towel under the machine. The material with which the towel is made absorbs a lot of noise. 

2) Always check your humidifier water level. The more water it has, the better. I always pour as much water into it as the maximun level requires. I don't know why it works better like that but it works for me. 

3) Check the humidifier seal. Close the container firmly and push it into the CPAP until you hear the click sound. If you don't hear it, pull it back and do it again. I used to do it softly, so I didn't wear out the humidifier slot components, but after a while, I learned the machine is meant for that. One needs to be extra careful but not obsessive about the machine functionalities. It will just work. 

4) Never place the machine filter near a wall or any object that can block it. Try to give it some room. Why? The air needs to enter, so any blocking object will help increase the noise. I have done some experiments by moving the machine and comparing the noises it produces. I've confirmed it. 

5) The ramp mode will give you some time for you to focus on your sleep. Once you start sleeping, the machine will increase its pressure producing a higher noise (something similar to an open faucet plus the typical Darth Vader's sound produced by inhaling) My wife doesn't notice it anyway, she agrees on the fact that anything quieter than snoring is good. She is happy to see me rested after a good night's sleep.

6) Make sure the pipe is straight, free, unblocked and well placed. If it is somehow bent, it will make the machine make "extra effort" producing higher noises. 

7) The mask you should be worn in a way the air doesn't escape. 

I hope I have helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
As of today I am on my third machine.  I picked it up from Apria this morning.  I'm hoping that this is a winner.  I have to tell you, however, that machine #2 hummed and then started to whine just like the first one.  

About 2:00 this morning I wanted to take a light saber to it.  If I did that I couldn't get a replacement so my better nature prevailed. 

I found that machines #1 and #2 were from the same batch lot.  That batch lot code is 1181912.  You can find the code on the sticker on the back of the AirSense at the bottom.  It is the same sticker that has the serial number. 

Machine #3 is from a different batch lot.  Batch lot code 1206851.

Mrs. SithLord (a.k.a. SithLady) keeps reminding me that the third time is a charm.

We hooked #3 up in the Apria office for a test run.  SithLady (who is fiercer than I am), the respiration tech and I strained to hear anything while I was breathing from the mask.  

It was quiet.  No mistaking me for that other Sith - Lord Vader.  We brought it home, SithLady went back to work and I hooked up #3.  I did another test run in the bedroom and all is still quiet.

Hopefully it will stay that way and I can finally get some sleep tonight.  I will let you all know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone through 3 ResMed A10 Elites (ie returned), I am waiting for my forth to be supplied from a different batch. No matter what I did, it sounded like an A380 compared to the Autoset loaner machines. The Autoset loaner I have now is barely noticeable, I dont want to give it back. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed a whistle on mine. It is caused by an air leak into the humidifier tank. I just squeeze it to get the seal working properly, and the whistle goes away. It will start immediately upon starting the machine, so you can address it immediately. Once you do this, it will not whistle anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things were quiet last night.  SithLady and I slept for about eight blessed hours.  I felt great and was really able to concentrate on work for a change.

So, was this a bad batch of AirSense 10 machines?  A good design badly implemented?  We will see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost three weeks now and no problem.  I'm using my AirSense for about seven or eight hours a night and it's great.  Some nights I use the humidifier but more often then not I'll run the AirSense without the humidifier. 

I don't snore any more.  SithLady loves the quiet in the room.  She says my attitude is better, too.  That's probably because I'm getting a full night's sleep.  No more waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to get back to sleep. 

The bottom line for me - the medical equipment supplier must have gotten a bad lot from ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2017, 07:22 PM)SithLord Wrote: Almost three weeks now and no problem.  I'm using my AirSense for about seven or eight hours a night and it's great.  Some nights I use the humidifier but more often then not I'll run the AirSense without the humidifier. 

I don't snore any more.  SithLady loves the quiet in the room.  She says my attitude is better, too.  That's probably because I'm getting a full night's sleep.  No more waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to get back to sleep. 

The bottom line for me - the medical equipment supplier must have gotten a bad lot from ResMed.

Well Sithlord, I'm a dyed in the wool Republic supporter myself (not to be confused with that political party in ascendancy right now on planet earth.)  Although I generally get along with most Jedis I am not one myself.  So perhaps we can converse in civil tones!

I do have to say congratulations to yourself and Juanjo on finding a machine that works properly for you and that you both don't now sound like that nefarious Lord Vader.  *Shudders*  Though even he "saw the light" eventually, didn't he?  There is still hope for you yet!!  Embrace the light!

Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
Any white noise machines recoomended or NOT recommended?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a slew of them on Amazon. I got a 'Sleep Easy' fairly inexpensively. You turn the cover to control how loud it is. It basically sounds like a fan running all the time. It covers over (masks) intermittant, less loud sounds. I'm near a pretty busy road and have set it on that side of the bed. Works great for me.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an app on my iPhone called White Noise Market.  I thought about a white noise machine but I didn't want to take up any more space on my night table. Besides when I travel and take my CPAP machine I don't have to also take a white noise machine because it's already in my phone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 369 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 252 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.