Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is my machine about to fail? Can I fix it?
Is my machine about to fail? Can I fix it?
Hello!

I think my machine is sort of ancient. I bought it used on eBay back when you could do that, maybe ten years ago, or more. It's a Respironics Remstar Plus LX.

(I do have a prescription, but medical equipment is not a covered benefit with my health insurance. When I found out the prices from the medical supply company, I just bought my own.)

It's starting to make a high-pitched whining noise that it didn't make before. Does that mean it's going to fail soon? I'm wondering if I could do something to fix it, or make it last a little longer. I'm handy with mechanical things.

If it's failing, I suppose I ought to get a new one while it still works.

Suggestions and ideas, please?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my machine about to fail? Can I fix it?
A machine of that age, with new technology that is out there, I would purchase another machine. It has lasted longer than I would have thought it would. You know your financial situation best of all.

BTW, I have not heard of an insurance company not covering these machines. I have heard of high deductibles that causes someone to have to buy their own. Maybe your insurance company will catch up to the current times soon............or maybe they won't. Who knows anymore.

This is JMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi winky, welcome aboard
Its cheaper to buy a new machine than spending money on repairs and beside machines have comes a long way since then
I doubt you can buy CPAP machines on ebay these days. You can get a good deal from Supplier #2 for used and new machines (both comes with a warranty). Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Read this wiki before looking for a new machines
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2014, 01:44 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi winky, welcome aboard

Thank you. Glad to be here.

(03-08-2014, 01:44 PM)zonk Wrote: I doubt you can buy CPAP machines on ebay these days.
You're right. OTOH, they are easy to find on CraigsList, if you know what to shop for. I'm counting the pennies. So many people are these days.

(03-08-2014, 01:44 PM)zonk Wrote: You can get a good deal from Supplier #2 for used and new machines (both comes with a warranty).

I'll take a look. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi winky,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you can get a new machine, you would probably be much better served. The technology has improved in the newer ones. You might try to get one now while the one you have is still working.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome fellow hosehead.

Be sure to ask questions, and get info if/when you get a new(er) machine. Mine too is fairly old, and I understand the need to count nickels...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are up to it, you might want to try looking inside your machine if you can get a copy of the service manual. This may not be for everyone, but in my case we didn't have much to lose since it wouldn't turn on consistently and was well beyond the warranty period.

My wife's REMstar plus with C-Flex 250P was having trouble turning on. Nine times out of ten, instead of turning on, it would give her an error beep (no error code) and the screen would say that it needed service. She had it visually inspected by the local supplier and they said she needed a new one. Unfortunately, it was only about 4 years into our 5 year health care replacement cycle. (This machine has the SD card slot, but no card is being used.)

Thanks to the Apnea Board Forums, I found the pdf file of the service manual in the "LINKS to Members-Only Files" area. Armed with a couple of Torx screwdriver tips and the guidance of the pdf file, I was able to carefully disassemble the machine. The REMstar manual has lots of images with all the key items pointed out so it was really straight forward. The hardest part for that model was prying off the knob on the top of the machine. Everything else came apart easily with the Torx screwdriver. I discovered that the insides were pretty dusty. There was even a spider web on the pc board. I used some compressed air to blow off all the dust, disassembled it a little more and blew the dust out of the rest of the insides. Assembly was the reverse of disassembly. I made sure that all the seals were sealing against whatever they needed to.

All the screws screw into plastic, so it's a good idea to start each screw into its hole by first slowly turning it counter-clockwise until you feel it raise up a little and then drop down into the existing thread grooves. Then you can start turning it clockwise to tighten it down. This helps to ensure you don't accidentally cross-thread the screw, which would weaken the hole.

Anyway, for my wife's machine, that's all it took to get it to fire up the first time she turns it on now.

Thanks again to the forum for putting together the manuals section.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 09:36 PM)thartley Wrote: If you are up to it, you might want to try looking inside your machine if you can get a copy of the service manual. This may not be for everyone, but in my case we didn't have much to lose since it wouldn't turn on consistently and was well beyond the warranty period.

My wife's REMstar plus with C-Flex 250P was having trouble turning on. Nine times out of ten, instead of turning on, it would give her an error beep (no error code) and the screen would say that it needed service. She had it visually inspected by the local supplier and they said she needed a new one. Unfortunately, it was only about 4 years into our 5 year health care replacement cycle. (This machine has the SD card slot, but no card is being used.)

Thanks to the Apnea Board Forums, I found the pdf file of the service manual in the "LINKS to Members-Only Files" area. Armed with a couple of Torx screwdriver tips and the guidance of the pdf file, I was able to carefully disassemble the machine. The REMstar manual has lots of images with all the key items pointed out so it was really straight forward. The hardest part for that model was prying off the knob on the top of the machine. Everything else came apart easily with the Torx screwdriver. I discovered that the insides were pretty dusty. There was even a spider web on the pc board. I used some compressed air to blow off all the dust, disassembled it a little more and blew the dust out of the rest of the insides. Assembly was the reverse of disassembly. I made sure that all the seals were sealing against whatever they needed to.

All the screws screw into plastic, so it's a good idea to start each screw into its hole by first slowly turning it counter-clockwise until you feel it raise up a little and then drop down into the existing thread grooves. Then you can start turning it clockwise to tighten it down. This helps to ensure you don't accidentally cross-thread the screw, which would weaken the hole.

Anyway, for my wife's machine, that's all it took to get it to fire up the first time she turns it on now.

Thanks again to the forum for putting together the manuals section.

that's awesome
Post Reply Post Reply
try some oil on the motor bearings, that will be the most likely source for the noise.
I use automatic transmission oil for small motor bearings, not sure being a med device if that would be a good one to use.
search the net for med grade oil for breathing devices.
if used sparingly the auto trans oil should work

(03-08-2014, 01:32 PM)winky Wrote: Hello!

I think my machine is sort of ancient. I bought it used on eBay back when you could do that, maybe ten years ago, or more. It's a Respironics Remstar Plus LX.

(I do have a prescription, but medical equipment is not a covered benefit with my health insurance. When I found out the prices from the medical supply company, I just bought my own.)

It's starting to make a high-pitched whining noise that it didn't make before. Does that mean it's going to fail soon? I'm wondering if I could do something to fix it, or make it last a little longer. I'm handy with mechanical things.

If it's failing, I suppose I ought to get a new one while it still works.

Suggestions and ideas, please?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you fix it, start searching Craigslist for a better one with full data. Depending on where you are, it may take several months to find a good deal.

Check my signature line for some suggestions of a good data capable machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,149 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  What To Do When Soft Cervical Collars Fail mawaw1992 22 2,018 10-30-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Was my sleep study designed to 'fail'? diagnosed with mild CSA, but skeptical alwaysleepy 25 2,146 12-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Last Post: alwaysleepy
  [Equipment] Fail during ramp up - Resmed paulod57 5 2,414 12-07-2021, 02:56 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.