Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is my new A10 defected or is the noise normal?
Is my new A10 defected or is the noise normal?
My new Resmed AirSense A10 Autoset is much noisier than my old H&P SleepStyle 600. Is this normal or is my A10 defective?

After 9 years using an H&P 600 with heated hose and set at 13, it was time for a new CPAP as it was starting to leak at the humidifier connection?
I just received my new Resmed AirSense A10 Autoset. My recent sleep study required by my insurance company said my fixed pressure should be 8. Given my pressure of 13 for the past 9 years, my ENT wrote the prescription for a setting of 4 -18.

Except for the recent leaky humidifier, I had no problem with the H&P 600. Thought it was not noisy and after switching from FX nasal pillows to the new P10, the entire setup in very quiet and was reading reports about the S9 and the A10 about how quiet they were, so never expected an issue.

I have been using my A10 now for two nights. At the starting pressure of 4, it is indeed very quiet. But when I woke up in the night after 5 hours, the APAP was at a higher pressure (around 14) and was very noisy. First night I could not fall back asleep and actually went back to my H&P 600 for the remainder of the night. Last night I was able to go back to sleep and stayed on the A10.

The noise does not appear to be from the fan but instead is more of a whistle whose pitch and volume increases as the pressure increases. Every time I inhale and exhale I hear the whistle go up and down like a British siren. I think if it stayed a constant pitch it would not bother me as much, but this siren sound is disruptive. At the low pressure of 4, I can hear the whistle, but the pitch and volume is so low, it is hardly audible.

Is this normal?
(I looked at the settings last night thinking that EPR might be causing it, but was already off.)
Or
Is my unit defective? and thus I should return it to the DME. (which I am not looking forward to, because they are terrible...wished I had used another DME).

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my new A10 defected or is the noise normal?
Hi kepSleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Unfortunately, you will need to exchange it, your new machine shouldn't be that noisy.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and good luck to you on getting your new machine exchanged.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 is quiet. But when I tried my P10 at first, there was whistling noise. I changed pillow sizes and that stopped it.

Also check that the new machine has the setting for pillows set, (not nasal of ffm). And sometimes the seal from the humidifier tank might not be attached correctly, causing noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also check the humidifier - making sure its pushed into place. Mine will whistle when I haven't given it a solid, but not hard, shove into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll play with the humidifier tonight so that I hopefully have a good seal. Would the leak rating be any indication of a poor humidifier seal? (I don't remember what my sleep report stated)
I have been using medium p10 pillows since getting the A10. Tonight I'll try large to see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE
Tried changing the pillow from medium to large. Different sound, but still bad. Plus machine seem to have a harder time regulating the pressure. Had to change back to medium. When I woke up in the middle of the night while the machine was whistling at me, I played with the humidifer, but it had no effect (that actually was the issue on my 9 year old SleepStyle 600).
So...after 30 minutes on the phone and being switched around to 3 or 4 persons, I finally found someone at my DME that knew what they were doing. She was very compassionate and understanding. Immediately said it was the machine and arranged for a replacement. If called the local branch to make sure they had one. When I arrived at the branch, they had one waiting for me and already set up. Now I hope they do not screw up the billing. Had that issue once and they were terrible to deal with.

Last night used the new A10 and it indeed did NOT have the noise. Very quiet. I also had my doctor fax a prescription for a heated hose (had one with my old CPAP) as I experiences rainout when I set the humidifier at 6. Was hoping to pick it up when I exchanged my unit, but the prescription had not been entered into their record for me. They said they would ship it to me when they see the prescription.

All-in-all I am now happy with the unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I am having noise issues with my ResMed Airsense 10 too. It was encouraging to see that you were able to get yours replaced and that the new one does not make those -noises-.

Can you share with me who you spoke with to get this taken care of? Was it your local DME supplier, or did you have to call the main office of the chain to get someone who took you seriously?

Please PM me if you would feel more comfortable talking to me about this. I'm desperate from lack of sleep due to the noise issue.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dagmar1:
Sorry, I did not catch the name or title of the person. DME is APRIA. Seems when you first call, the persons are only trained to handle re-orders or very simple questions. Their customer service for more complex issues such as returns leaves a bit to desire. I was able to get some one who not only knew what she was doing but also called (or maybe was in my local store) so that they had the new/replacement unit ready. I am fortunate in that I live appr 30 mins from their local office, so it was not much trouble to drop by and make the swap.

Sorry I could not help much more than that. Only suggest that you stick it out until you get hold of someone with the authority to swap your unit. Thy previous one definitely had something wrong with it as this new one is very quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile
(05-28-2015, 11:58 AM)kepSleep Wrote: My new Resmed AirSense A10 Autoset is much noisier than my old H&P SleepStyle 600. Is this normal or is my A10 defective?

After 9 years using an H&P 600 with heated hose and set at 13, it was time for a new CPAP as it was starting to leak at the humidifier connection?
I just received my new Resmed AirSense A10 Autoset. My recent sleep study required by my insurance company said my fixed pressure should be 8. Given my pressure of 13 for the past 9 years, my ENT wrote the prescription for a setting of 4 -18.

Except for the recent leaky humidifier, I had no problem with the H&P 600. Thought it was not noisy and after switching from FX nasal pillows to the new P10, the entire setup in very quiet and was reading reports about the S9 and the A10 about how quiet they were, so never expected an issue.

I have been using my A10 now for two nights. At the starting pressure of 4, it is indeed very quiet. But when I woke up in the night after 5 hours, the APAP was at a higher pressure (around 14) and was very noisy. First night I could not fall back asleep and actually went back to my H&P 600 for the remainder of the night. Last night I was able to go back to sleep and stayed on the A10.

The noise does not appear to be from the fan but instead is more of a whistle whose pitch and volume increases as the pressure increases. Every time I inhale and exhale I hear the whistle go up and down like a British siren. I think if it stayed a constant pitch it would not bother me as much, but this siren sound is disruptive. At the low pressure of 4, I can hear the whistle, but the pitch and volume is so low, it is hardly audible.

Is this normal?
(I looked at the settings last night thinking that EPR might be causing it, but was already off.)
Or
Is my unit defective? and thus I should return it to the DME. (which I am not looking forward to, because they are terrible...wished I had used another DME).
I have A resmed airsense 10,I can't hear mine at all except at starting it and that soon goes silent,sounds like you should take it back,mine is totally quiet unbelievable.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have the AirSense 10. Mine makes noise at times, but I've found that it's the humidifier gasket/seal that needs adjusted. If that's not in just right, it makes a noise when I breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 110 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 331 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 242 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 578 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 329 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.