Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all
RE: Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all
Another vote for the P10. Resistance is futile.

I am seeing a trend in all these newbie journey in cpap land (mine included). Most start off with a FFM thinking they are mouth breathers. Within a few months, after battling leaks and fixing one problem after another, we realize that less moving parts and less contact area means less leaks and less problems. Then we get to nasal pillows. Then start the war b/w P10, Aloha and Nuance pro. Finally the P10 wins most of these because it has fewer moving parts and adjustments than the others.

In general, if your pressure need is modest (< 15cm), Nasal pillows w/ or w/o chinstrap is an easier battle than FFM and TFFMs.

YMMV.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I feel hopeful again about cpap, and I truly thank you for that. Will be ordering the p10 and a chin strap ASAP =). Does anyone recommend a total face mask at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 03:29 PM)420spin Wrote: Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I feel hopeful again about cpap, and I truly thank you for that. Will be ordering the p10 and a chin strap ASAP =). Does anyone recommend a total face mask at all?

We do have a few folks that like the full mask. But I think it takes special reasons for needing to use it. Like wishing to inflict pain and suffering on oneself..

Ok... Not fair. Shorter answer; yes some people like those.
Post Reply Post Reply
Despite what R_G preaches there are those of us that use and like the FFMs. I use and like the Mirage Quattro and there are a number of people who also do. It is just that we are a little quieter than the P10 users. I like the fact that I can just put on my Mirage Quattro and start up with no leaks whatsoever. Do not have to futz with it, do not have to grease my nose up, do not have to twiddle with the straps to get the right tension. Some people have reported skin irritation on their nose with the Mirage Quattro. There are several fixes for that. Some people have reported that they could not get the mask to seal. On the other hand my problem with other masks was getting them to seal at my pressure of 20 cm/H2O and the Mirage Quattro solved that problem for me.

There is also the F&P Simplus mask that a fair number of people seem to like. It seems to have a lot of range of fit but not as much as the Mirage Quattro. It seems that few people have any irritation problem with the Simplus and it has a somewhat lighter feel than the Mirage Quattro. It also has less pieces and all of the cushion sizes fit the same frame so changing sizes does not require purchasing a whole mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I never preach!

Well, that's not totally accurate either. I "preached" today at a "Lay Service" at church.

I woke up this morning at 2:00 am and mentally "rehearsed" until 5:30 before I could go back to sleep. Then the puppies got up.

The thing is, there are certain things in life that if we are afflicted with destroy our sense of good judgement. Driving drunk is one of those. So is driving sleepy. So is thinking you will drift happily off to sleep at 2:00 am when the only thing going through your brain is the repeated refrain of "Jesus Christ Superstar..."

Finally at 5:00 I was able to convince myself to get up and play a rousing game of Spider Solitaire in the buff, in a cold house. That will do it every time. Bored out of my mind, back to bed and happily drifting back to sleep.

Until the puppies got up.

Anyhow, not to ramble on or anything, but I did do what I was supposed to do, then came immediately home and had a serious power nap, with my humble, comfortable little P-10 mask, for two hours. Good to go now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 01:26 PM)AshSF Wrote: Another vote for the P10. Resistance is futile.

Not knowing any better, I started out with a Wisp nasal mask thinking that something jammed up my nostrils would bother me. After 30 days reading the P10 evangelists praise their nasal pillows, I decided to give it a try. One night and the nasal mask went into a drawer never to emerge again. I got the sleep center to change my Rx to nasal pillows and my DME sends me the spare parts periodically. I have now become yet another P10 evangelist. I think everyone should try the ResMed Airfit P10 first since it's the most unobtrusive alternative. If it doesn't work and a chinstrap doesn't solve the problem, then try other options.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal Pillow effects:
[Image: 534195636_08c85e0881.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't object to anyone who chooses the P10, but the nasal pillows make my nostrils sore. An alternative I have used is the Circadiance SleepWeaver Elan or Anew. They are cloth masks so they may help with your sensitive skin and they are much smaller and gentler then most plastic/silicon masks.
Just file this away so you can check it out if the P10 doesn't work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add my two cents...

I'm new to all of this, only having been on CPAP for a couple months. At my sleep study and appt with the RT, everyone pushed for me to try a nasal mask, and I did, but as I suspected it did not work for me at all.

I have a deviated septum, which basically limits my breathing to one nostril (and poor air flow at that). A few minutes of "breathing" with my mouth shut and I felt like I was slowly suffocating.

So, a full face mask is my only option, until I get brave and sign up for surgery.

I use the Simplus and love it. It is comfortable and I don't have to fiddle with it during the night - it stays put. I have sensitive skin but haven't had any trouble with it. I've managed to adjust the straps perfectly to prevent leaks and avoid any red marks on my face in the morning. A great mask and worth trying, in my opinion. It sounds to me like the one you've got isn't a good fit - rather than fight with it, maybe just something else.

Good luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 11:25 PM)justMongo Wrote: Nasal Pillow effects:
[Image: 534195636_08c85e0881.jpg]

I remember that episode of Twilight Zone...
The normal looking girl was considered hideous there. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.