Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all
Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all
Hello All,

I'm new, been trying to use my machine for almost a year now. I use a resmed machine with a philips amara mask. Haven't had any luck at all yet making cpap a daily part of my life, I will try it for a few days, but then the mask causes crazy acne on my face and I stop for a while. I am having a difficult time falling asleep with the mask on because it is both uncomfortable and I am doing adjustments every 5 minutes to the mask. This is weird, but I feel very self conscious when wearing the mask with my wife next to me.

So .. I was thinking of trying these 2 options

1. Go with the most minimalist mask available, which I have read is a nasal pillow style mask. After my sleep study, I was told I "have" to use a full face mask. Instead of not using the cpap at all, will the nasal pillow still be reasonably effective?

2. Go with a total face mask, the kind that covers your whole face. My reasoning for this is that it will at least have the benefit of reducing the acne around my mouth and I will only have acne around the edge of my face, which is less pronounced.

Machine: Resmed
Mask: Philips Amara full face mask
Mask Size: Large
Pressure: 14(?) 20(?) its the max setting on the resmed machine i think
Face Size: XL
Hair: Yes
Eyes: 2

Thank you for any experiences you can share with me ..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all
could try something like the airfit p10 and a chin strap
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 12:39 AM)420spin Wrote: Hello All,

I'm new, been trying to use my machine for almost a year now. I use a resmed machine with a philips amara mask. Haven't had any luck at all yet making cpap a daily part of my life, I will try it for a few days, but then the mask causes crazy acne on my face and I stop for a while. I am having a difficult time falling asleep with the mask on because it is both uncomfortable and I am doing adjustments every 5 minutes to the mask. This is weird, but I feel very self conscious when wearing the mask with my wife next to me.

1. Go with the most minimalist mask available, which I have read is a nasal pillow style mask. After my sleep study, I was told I "have" to use a full face mask. Instead of not using the cpap at all, will the nasal pillow still be reasonably effective?

2. Go with a total face mask, the kind that covers your whole face. My reasoning for this is that it will at least have the benefit of reducing the acne around my mouth and I will only have acne around the edge of my face, which is less pronounced.

Thank you for any experiences you can share with me ..

You could try making a face liner out of an old silk scarf, or even satin to place between your skin and the mask. Also, perhaps you are tightening up the mask too much? Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 420spin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You can make a mask liner out of an old TShirt by cutting it in the shape of your cushion and then cut out a hole for your nose and mouth. Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like having to adjust the mask every 5 minutes means it's not adjusted right in the first place. Also, not being consistent I treatment means you will probably never fully adjust to therapy. If I were you I'd try some nasal masks and nasal pillow masks with a chin strap if you can't stop breathing through your mouth. What Resmed machine are you using? It should be written above or under the power button. Also, are you checking your data to see how your treatment is going?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 12:39 AM)420spin Wrote: Is nasal pillow mask better than no mask at all

To answer your question which is the thread title - some/any type of mask (if you can get it to work for you) is certainly better than no mask (aka no treatment) at all.

Regarding question number 1, if you can manage to breathe only through your nose, a nasal mask or pillow should be effective. As mentioned already, you will probably need a chin strap of some sort to start out. Also practice putting your tongue against the roof of your mouth. I'm using both these methods but still getting the hang of it... I started out with a simple Ace bandage. Went to a "Ruby" chin strap last night and had a record high number of leaks - I need to fix the Ruby or go back to the Ace.

In reading a bunch of posts on here, it sounds like a sleep lab will often jump right to full face mask, sometimes just based on you answering yes to "are you a mouth breather".

About question number 2, that could be an option. It will also move the seal out of the "T zone" if you have oily skin. I wash right before bed, and still get oily under the seal again after a few hours. Again, from reading many posts on here, it sounds like a good portion of cpap users have to try several types and even brands and models of masks before they find the one that's right for them. It's been said that is one of the biggest challenges.

Good thing you clarified about the 2 eyes. Might be tough to get a total face mask to fit right if you have a cyclops thing going on... Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, in my opinion using a pillows mask is not only better than no mask at all, it's better than any mask at all. So I would not be afraid to investigate that alternative.

As to telling you that you HAVE to use a ffm following your sleep study? That's probably a concern that you breath through your mouth. Doesn't everyone? I know I do. I know I was the poster child for not being able to use a pillows mask because I breath through my mouth. I even believed that, until I tried otherwise.

A good pillows mask such as the P10, with perhaps a chinstrap to help keep the mouth airway sealed, and I'll bet most of your issues will go away. Not only that, but very often the higher pressures being used with ffm's can be lowered using pillows masks.

So yeah, you can continue with the ffm, and if you do so, try the liners that others have recommended. Or, you can join the "free and unlimited" generation by converting to a nice Resmed P10 pillows mask. You just as well do that now, because sooner or later you will do it. Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 10:48 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Actually, in my opinion using a pillows mask is not only better than no mask at all, it's better than any mask at all. So I would not be afraid to investigate that alternative.

I see that there is absolutely no bias in that statement at all. Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 11:57 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 10:48 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Actually, in my opinion using a pillows mask is not only better than no mask at all, it's better than any mask at all. So I would not be afraid to investigate that alternative.

I see that there is absolutely no bias in that statement at all. Big Grin

Payton: R_G has fallen for the P10 mafia propaganda. Now, he carries their banner. I look forward to seeing him in the 2016 Rose Parade on the P10 float Dielaughing
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Retired Guy and I will be sitting side-by-side on that float...probably drinking a beer and getting ready for the game. Our relaxed and well rested demeanor will be the envy of all FFM users. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 156 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.