Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is this healthy sleep?
Is this healthy sleep?
Is this considered healthy sleep? AHI under 5...

My original at home sleep test gave me an AHI of 8...But I think I only got a short amount of sleep that night, definitely not a good sleep.

When I use the CPAP for 4 hours a night my AHI is always higher. I wonder if I even have obstructive sleep apnea now. Surely they would have known, or can they not differentiate between all the different sleep disturbances?

Basically is this healthy sleep or should I be aiming to get rid of those central apneas? and how would I do that?
Have had days where i've felt a lot better since cpap use but then days where I am still very anxious and down like the last couple of days (sleep screenshotted)

I'm in the UK

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this healthy sleep?
Apparently, changing your EPR from 3 to 1 did not decrease the number of CAs, which is a bit unexpected. Try to turn it off entirely; if you still have CAs, post a few magnified (3-4 minute window) ones to ensure these are real CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Yes, you are having healthy sleep,  Did you have a lot of CAs in your sleep study?  I'm guessing not, in which case your CAs are treatment-emergent and will lessen on their own as time passes.  Don't worry about them.  You are doing very well.  Smile

P.S.  Leave your EPR set at 3.  Changing EPR does not have any effect on CAs; it is used to tame flow limits and to make breathing more comfortable.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:22 PM)Deborah K. Wrote:  Changing EPR does not have any effect on CAs 

OpalRose wrote:
03-27-2018, 06:38 AM
RE: Can EPR use cause Central Apnea Events? 
"With that said, if you spend enough time on this forum, you would quickly notice that when we see a high CA count, the first thing we look at is if the person is using EPR. At that point, we most always recommended that they lower it or turn it off completely to see if that helps."

===========
Sleeprider wrote
03-27-2018, 05:00 PM

RE: Can EPR use cause Central Apnea Events?
"higher EPAP or positive end expiatory pressure (PEEP) improves oxygenation. Individuals who have a tendency towards central apnea need steady fixed pressure without pressure support or EPR." 
=====
These are just two comments among the many similar ones. 
Post Reply Post Reply
What you say is true, but unless Lucky's CAs were high in his sleep study, they are likely treatment-emergent, and there is no need to worry about them.  That is why I advised him to stay with EPR 3 since that setting is more comfortable for most folks.  If it turns out that he had a lot of CAs in his sleep study, then it's a different matter.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
G. Szabo,

You took two quotes from a different time, a different situation. What I'm saying is that the advice we may give to one member may not be the same advice we'd give to another.

There are too many variables in our sleep that cause what we see on our charts.

I have seen the use of EPR have absolutely no effect on CA's one way or another....
yet another person clearly will see relief from CA's if EPR is lowered. Also, EPR affects more than just CA's, like Flow Limitation and Hypopneas. It can also give relief to folk that suffer from Aerophagia.

The bottom line is... there is no one size fits all when advising the use of EPR,
you have to look at the total picture.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

Am I mistaken in thinking that it is a common practice that "when we see a high CA count, the first thing we look at is if the person is using EPR. At that point, we most always recommended that they lower it or turn it off completely to see if that helps"? (This is a pretty general statement without specifics mentioned. I can provide you with a few dozen similar general statements within and outside this forum, a few of them delivered by advisory members). I was precisely advised that.

I do not think it is wise to discredit someone's suggestions, which are in line with the general consensus, and deliver such a sweeping statement as "Changing EPR does not have any effect on CAs," which is clearly false, because, as you admit yourself, " yet another person clearly will see relief from CAs if EPR is lowered."

I agree with you that "The bottom line is... there is no one size fits all when advising... you have to look at the total picture." But it this case we have not seen a bit yet about the total picture. This is why some wise considerations should be made before discrediting helpful suggestions.

I understand that you feel obliged to defend your team, which I acknowledge and respect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2024, 07:37 PM)G. Szabo Wrote: OpalRose,

Am I mistaken in thinking that it is a common practice that "when we see a high CA count, the first thing we look at is if the person is using EPR. At that point, we most always recommended that they lower it or turn it off completely to see if that helps"? (This is a pretty general statement without specifics mentioned. I can provide you with a few dozen similar general statements within and outside this forum, a few of them delivered by advisory members). I was precisely advised that.  

I do not think it is wise to discredit someone's suggestions, which are in line with the general consensus, and deliver such a sweeping statement as "Changing EPR does not have any effect on CAs," which is clearly false, because, as you admit yourself, " yet another person clearly will see relief from CAs if EPR is lowered."

I agree with you that "The bottom line is... there is no one size fits all when advising... you have to look at the total picture." But it this case we have not seen a bit yet about the total picture. This is why some wise considerations should be made before discrediting helpful suggestions.

I understand that you feel obliged to defend your team, which I acknowledge and respect.

I'm not defending anyone.... you can send me a PM if you wish to discuss further.  I don't think hijacking this thread with disagreements is fair to the O.P.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 329 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 422 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 295 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 313 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,533 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 889 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,129 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.