Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
RE: Breath Frequency
In general, awake RR is higher than RR during sleep. As I mentioned, I do see that my RR is a little lower when I'm lying in bed waiting to fall asleep. I don't know how common or uncommon that is.

As several of us have noted, your RR with the machine on is unusually low, though your TV compensates and gives you a reasonable MV. In other words, you breathe slowly but more deeply, which maintains your level of air exchange over a period of a minute.

You should discuss the low RR rate with your doctor. Show him or her the chart with RR, TV and MV. There's probably no big problem, but it's good to make sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually the difference is not very noticeable when looking at the RR chart. Your RR changes significantly, at least in the example given.

As stated I would try and determine what your normal awake respiration rate is without PAP on. If you are only having this low RR while awake and using PAP it would appear that you are either consciously or unconsciously adjusting breathing because of the feel of pressure, settings etc. If that is the case an adjustment of settings may change that and potentially affect your quality of treatment. This is one of the first things I thought of because I see you are using very low pressure on a fixed pressure machine, it could be that you are taking long deep breaths because you feel you are starving for air (not an uncommon complaint at minimum pressure settings).

If this is the case I would try a slightly higher pressure (say 7 cm) and higher EPR (2 or 3, whichever feels most comfortable). This will make it easier to breath and may improve feel while awake and if the theory is right it may slow your sleep RR a bit by making it easier as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure the slower deeper breathing is necessarily a problem. Some people are belly breathers, and I think they naturally breathe deeper and slower. I am one, for example, but I don't see much difference awake or asleep.
I'm not sure how to capture the awake RR without instruments; if you are counting, you are paying attention, and that will change things.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 06:47 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I'm not sure how to capture the awake RR without instruments; if you are counting, you are paying attention, and that will change things.

Lay down, get comfortable and relaxed and breath normally with eyes closed. Have someone else count your breaths (can hold hand in front of nose if necessary to detect breath) and they can do it at a couple different times and when you aren't aware they are counting (hence eyes closed). If you are laying there focusing on relaxing and not sure when person is going to count the breathing will be normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello thanks everybody,

I'm currently in a process of finding out what is going on with my breathing.
I'm a prof. brass player 53 years but can't do my job because of breathing problems and jaw, neck, shoulder problems.
(unilateral posterior cross bite with mandbular shift)
I was on 100% teaching but even that is not possible anymore.
Before starting CPAP I slept 3 to 5 hours a night.
My AHI was +50
Without CPAP I needed 1 hour in the mornig to get some tonus in my muscels.
No with CPAP this is better but I still does not feel natural. (neck, jaw, chest)
When sitting I have the feeling belly breathing does not work anymore.
I have a feeling as I put my body in standby. 
Hart rate during sitting and reading is between 50 and 55.
As soon as doing something that brings me out of my standby I have the feeling I don't get enough oxigen.
Riding a bike or walking does make me open my mouth widely and puting my tounge out to make breathing possible.
I have a feeling my breath is al upper. (no belly breathing anymore)

I read the wiki and try to post a new screenshot of last night.
Is this better?

Kind regards,
Johna

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Johna, 
Do you have any lung issues like asthma, COPD or allergies that you know off. It sounds like you are short of breathe but you are not using that word. How long has this been happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, 

I had some tests: No indications for astma or COPD.
Also no clear indications for diaphragm dysfunction.
It feels like I put my body in standby when awake. Breathing only a bit just enough. When I need more breath I do it not natural. ( no belly anymore) Especialy sitting is difficult. (biking, playing piano) 
I have this problem for years. But since I hace my CPAP I found out it is really a big problem. 

Johan
Post Reply Post Reply
Johan,

I have similar symptoms as you but I have asthma, COPD and allergies. Have you seen a pulmonologist? They could do a lung function test. I have exercised induced asthma and high blood pressure. If I go past my normal activity level I have breathing problems. Maybe a stress test would show how your lungs work at a higher level.

Another possibility is GERDs which is acid reflux which can  back up into your lungs. It is called "silent reflux" because you are not aware of it. I recently have to give up coffee because of that condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do what Geer suggests regarding comparing awake respiratory rate with and without CPAP. If machine causes it, try the suggested settings.

As far as your screenshot. You can use your minute vent for some rough sleep staging. You fell asleep at 12. Had 3 clear REM cycles with more variable and higher minute vent. The spikes outside the REM stages are probably arousals or awakenings. The flat line minute ventilations are likely deep sleep. You might want to zoom in the 5:05-5:15 period where you transition from sleep to wake. If you were awake, nothing to see, but if that period caused you to become awake, zoom in on it as you have minute vent spikes and CA events.

Also, add flow rate, flow limits, leaks and zoom in and explore your REM stage minute vent spikes as they are probably some events as well. During your likely legitimate OA and hypopneas, your minute vent spikes crazy. In addition, put a median line and zoom y axis on your minute vent as it seems an important marker in your case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Wow the graph tips are above my knowledge.
I see I have to learn more about interpreting the graphs.

I was just baffled about the possibility of breathing faster during sleep then when awake.
I still find this very abnormal.

Just tried to count my breaths. My wife counted 10 bpm lying on my back.
My hart beat slowed down to 47 bpm.

Sometime agoI found a site with the graph details but can't find it anymore. Is it in the wiki?

Kind regards,
Johan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 67 1,180 3 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 857 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,064 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 579 Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 482 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 531 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 811 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.