Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
Question 
Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
Hello,

I'm new here.
I have a cpap for almost a year now.

My question.

I use oscar 1.3.1
Something I do not understand.

When I wear my mask I see that when I'm awake my breath frequency is slower then when I'm asleep.
Sleep is between 15 and 20
Awake is between 6 and 10

At the same time my total volume is much lower asleep then when awake.
Sleep is between 200 and 400
Awake is between 400 and max 1500

Is this normal?
I would have expected lower freq. during sleep.

Kind regards, JohanJo1cpap - Therapy Thread
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breath Frequency
I have the same situation and I also have the same question as you. I see my doctor next month and I was going to ask him.
I am sure that someone on the forum will have some good insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
In general, respiration rates are slower during sleep than during the day. But I too find that my RR is a little lower when I'm lying in bed waiting to fall asleep. I don't know why that is, but I haven't worried about it. However, a RR of between 6 and 10 is quite low and deserves discussion with your doctor. Be sure to explain that the rate is higher during sleep.

TV stands for tidal volume. It is the volume of air that you move in one breath (inhale + exhale). In Oscar, what we see on the TV graph is a rolling average. Normal TV will be a little higher or lower depending on your build.

MV is minute ventilation, the volume of air you move in one minute. So it's a function of RR and TV. The units of measurement for TV and MV are different, just to keep things complicated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks,

I'm really confused.
Maybe an example of last night.

Start sleep at midnight.
Was awake around 5.30 am and laying in bed awake.

Kind regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be useful to see the graph of Minute Ventilation as well as the respiration rate and tidal volume.
Minute Ventilation measures how much you breathe in a minute, so we can see how much that changes between awake and asleep. It may be that greater tidal volume (one breathe) compensates for the slower respiration rate.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Here with minute ventilation.

Thanks for helping,

Johan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
As I expected, on average, you breathe the same amount of air awake or asleep. Which makes sense, I think, and is probably normal.
Now I have to go look at my own pattern.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good observation about relative constancy of MV -- thanks. One other little observation: it's common for RR to go up some during REM sleep. In the posted charts, I can see three stretches of higher RR whose timing is about right for REM in sleep cycles.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your awake respiration rate is low, low enough to be considered bradypnea. Although you are taking fewer breaths than normal you are taking deeper breaths.

Your sleep respiration rate is more normal and you are taking smaller breaths.

As noted your ventilation stays the same whether awake or asleep as the change in tidal volume is accounted for by the change in respiration rate.

In your case I would say the abnormal part (if it is even considered abnormal) is how low your awake respiration rate is. I would be curious what your respiration rate is during normal relaxed breathing while awake and not wearing a CPAP machine. Also curious to see a full OSCAR screenshot (use F12 or view/take screenshot) so we can see what settings you are using, if you note your breathing is not as low without CPAP machine than perhaps an adjustment of settings would have an effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and thanks,

Is this with everybody like this? Higher RR during sleep then when awake?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,068 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 165 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 962 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.