Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
RE: Breath Frequency
Your AHI during that period was 0. You have to be asleep to have apnea. What did the overnight data look like? How did the new setting feel?

I see your average RR for that awake period was still low (6.8) so the setting change didn't make a noticeable difference in that regard. Choosing to stay with the setting depends on how it feels and how your sleep results were.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Geer1

I only could change the settings for the short session.
My first night with the new settings will start in a few hours.
I'm in a completely different time zone as Canada.

I didn't know until yesterday my RR and heartbeat when awake are so low.
I'm not a sportman.

kind regards,

Johan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

First night with EPR on at 1. (my pressure is 5)
Even more clear that my breathing asleep is faster then awake;

And now this is very confusing for me.
I was awake at 6 a.m and kept my mask on reading about apneu on my phone.
Breath RR slowed down again but I got so many CA (clear airway) events.
See graphs.
What is this?
This time I did not breath through my mouth. (as far as I know)

I have other questions related to my problems but that are different toppics.
Should I start a new thread for each or ask them all in this thread.

Thank you all,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You should not worry about awake events, but CA events are expected in your case as your breath slowly and sometimes you pause for more than 10s. The FOT should detect these as no obstruction, thus CA and not OA. What is your awake oxygen saturation? I think it might be worth investing into an O2ring in your case.

It seems like an ok night of sleep. You see how your flow limits go up during REM as some auxiliary muscles get hypotonic. Try higher EPR or pressure to see if REM flow limits improve.

Try to control leaks as they cause arousals. Maybe mouth tape and better control of nasal mask position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respiration like this is normal, and your range of respiration, both awake and asleep are in the normal range. Relax.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

@selfcoacher
Would upping EPR to 2 or 3 have an effect in my situation when my pressure is only 5
I read somewhere the lowest pressure possible is 4

Is it possible to recognise the difference between mask and mouth leaks in the graphs?
I thougt leakage is not severe in my case. Is it?

@Sleeprider
I have severe problems with breathing and my profession. (professional brass player)
Apneu has been discoverd by accident during tinnitus treatment.
I can't breath fast enough (read in time with the music)
Belly breathing is not really possible when sitting.
So I use all the aiding breathing muscles resulting in forced, unnatural breathing.
Fast breathing is tiring.
Doing it for a long time (biking half an hour) results in jaw, neck, chestpain.
(I have to open my mouth wide open and stick out my tongue)
I do physiotherapy for it.
Pain goes away but comes immediately back during effort.
Making fast breathing even more difficult.
I'm wondering what is the reason for my slow breathing during daytime.
This is from ENT
Uvula: long (> 1,5 cm)
Tongue:
Tonguebase: high
Macroglossie: yes
Mallampati: IV
Friedman: IV
Epiglottis: omegashaped en floppy
lymfoïdhypertrofie (mild)
Small orofarynx
Low pallatum
Chronisch rhinosinusitis
Septumcorrection

@everybody
Are there other people here with unilateral posterior cross bite with mandibular shift?

I find breathing through the nose is not possible when chin is not up and mandibular is relaxed.
(I mean when head is in natural position: tilted slightly forward, jaw is losely open with relaxed tongue)

Hope I did explain myself clear.

Kind regards, Johan
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like the EPR had minimal effect, if anything it may have depressed your awake breathing slightly. This isn't overly surprising since the EPR makes it easier to breath and being easier to breath you are taking larger and fewer breaths. You would have to use higher pressure to use higher EPR and I don't know that it would be helpful and I am tempted to recommend to just stick with you original settings (fixed 5 cm).

To me your sleep breathing and apnea treatment looks fine, your bradypnea when awake is the main thing that looks odd but it does not appear to be apnea or CPAP related so I know little about what could cause it. Your comments about difficulty breathing, exercising etc fall in line with the bradypnea being a potential issue when you are awake.

The ENT findings and mandible comments would be concerns for say obstructive apnea or restricted breathing but I don't see how they would have an affect on the slow awake breathing. To me that is not related to this slow breathing but I could be wrong.

Imo your breathing issue is more likely to be centrally driven (neurological/nervous system) rather than due to physical obstruction etc. I don't know if it is the slow respiration rate that causes deeper breaths or deep breathing that causes the slower respiration rate. To make progress on this you probably need to find a good doctor that specializes in neuropulmonology (either a pulmonologist that specializes in the neurological side or neurologist that specializes in breathing).

As for helping you further the only thing I can think of is recommending a recording oximeter to see what your oxygen levels and heart rate do during activity, rest and sleep. Your OSCAR data shows the bradypnea (and I believe you can get similar charts from Resscan which is a Resmed program the doctors would trust more) and if the recording oximeter shows a change in oxygenation during these periods then that would further support them being an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd recommend choosing an oximeter from the list of devices that can export their data into Oscar. Click on the Oximeter Wizard in Oscar for more information.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and thanks,

I know my problems are not all related to apneu.
But I don't know for the moment what is the chicken and what is the egg.
So sorry for bringing up maybe irrelevant info.

@Geer1 and Dormeo,

I have bought such a small oximeter but alas not one with memory or possibility to sync.
During the day my oxigen level is mostly between 94 and 98. I have no idea at night.
I will read about it in the wiki. Something more to learn.
My heart between 47 and 55 when reading.
Any small activity like standing up and walking in the house make it raise to 80+

My ENT, pneumologist and dentist also told me to start speech therapy.
Tomorrow I have a first contact with a speech therapist.

All advice is welcome.

Kind regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
Johan, interesting you are a professional brass player. What instrument? Have you ever had pulmonary function tests that evaluate excessive residual tidal volume or pulmonary hyperinflation? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8980982/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 153 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.