Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
RE: Breath Frequency
Hello,

@Sleeprider,

That's a heavy read for a brass player. Dielaughing 
I will try to understand it tomorrow. (night is falling here)
I play euphonium, trombone and bass. (needs big amounts of air and that's my problem)

Kind regards, Johan
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll give you a pass on the article and just suggest that if you haven't had a simple PFT (pulmonary function test), it makes a lot of sense to ask your doctor for that evaluation at your next checkup. Spirometry (blowing into a tube) measures your tidal volume and the amount of remaining air in your lungs after you finish comfortable exhaling, and how long it takes to expel it. It is an indicator of the compliance or elasticity of your lungs and chest. Considering your profession and complaints pertaining to respiration, exercise and especially expiration while playing your instruments. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/t...tion-tests
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would assume spirometry/function test has already been done (if not should find a new pulmonologist). My guess is it came back normal or above normal due to profession and lung capacity, what would be best to know is how it compares to the past or to similar musicians.

We can kind of see on the OSCAR data how he is capable of taking large breaths even when he is in a resting state. Part of me wonders how much of the change in respiration rate is because this is a person with trained high volume lungs.

One thing I don't know that has been mentioned is what your height and weight are? That will give us a better idea where your tidal volume and minute ventilation values should be.

With regards to oximetry a recording oxiemter is key and if you get one that works with OSCAR you can see how your oxygen level fluctuates with each breath. You could also record for hours and see how it changes when transitioning to sleep, if it drops if you start doing something strenuous etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

@Geer1 and Sleeprider
I called my pulmonologist and asked here about pulmonary hyperinflation.
There is no indication for it based on a lot off tests. Spiro, rx, ct scan etc.
She is really doing here best to help me.

I went to the speech therapist and she will try to find somebody who has experience in this field.

As for my cpap.
This time I put my mask off earlier. (no reading with my mask on this morning)
Ahi is now better of course.
Almost all (fake) events are registered when I'm waking up.
So I think I can't get this much better with different settings on my machine.

I would like to get more sleep. (mostly between 4 to 6 hours.)
     (This night from 00:00 till 5:30)

I don't know why I wake up so early each morning.
Many times my nose is blocked pretty severe in the morning. (gives me neck pain)
I use nasonex and use a nose shower often.
I guess wearing a FF mask will not make a blocked nose any better.

I would like to thank everybody for the help!

Kind regards,
Johan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Using a FFM may not make a blocked nose better but it allows you to breath out mouth if necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Flow rate graph
Hello,

Me trying to read my flow rate graph.
What could be the reason for such a pattern?

Thank you,

Johan

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow rate graph
I am merging your two threads since they both deal with your therapy.  I will be naming it, Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread. Keeping your posts together provides the reader a history of what you have been encountering in your sleep therapy.

Now, your flow rate graph.  This could be from chin tucking, turning over, or an arousal.  It is when they occur all night long is when you should be concerned.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Jo1cpap - Therapy Thread
The last chart closeup is an arousal and is not uncommon for awake breathing. I have brief periods like this, and I think we could find similar arousal in nearly everyone on the Apnea Board if we scan the flow rate at close zoom. This is pretty meaningless and you need to take it in context with what is around it and through the night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Just trying to learn.
Hope you don't mind.

My flow rate has often a slope I don't see in the wiki. 
Also I read in the wiki about periodic breathing.
In the screenshot I see a similar pattern. Is it?
Tidal volume is low.

I'm male, 53 years, 175cm and weight is 80kg
I read male tidal volume should be 500
Mine is mostly between 300 and 400 and sometimes very low (150)

Greetings,

Johan

Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned that was arousal breathing, to try and determine cause of arousal you would have to look at the moment just before it where normal breathing transforms into arousal breathing.

The one zoom shows what could be minor periodic style breathing or it could be minor restricted breathing (perhaps more likely imo). I was curious about trying higher pressure and higher EPR which would potentially help that but it would most likely make your bradypnea and awake breathing worse since using EPR of 1 did. Since I don't know the relevance or potential issues related to this breathing and because awake breathing appears to be more of an issue than sleep breathing I am hesitant to recommend any changes.

Before playing further with cpap settings I think you should get a recording oximeter so you can make sure the changes aren't negatively affecting your oxygenation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 65 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,001 9 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,334 10 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,517 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 592 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 491 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.