Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Keeping mask on all through the night!
Hello all.

I've been using my machine (can't remember make/model etc currently) for a few years now, but for probably the last 18 mths, having a lot of trouble sleeping through the night AND keeping the mask on.

I regularly find myself waking at some time during the night, tossing and turning and despite trying to get back to sleep, I can't without taking the mask off - at which stage I fall asleep quickly. It doesn't seem to matter how long I've been asleep for - 1 hour, or 4 - if I take the mask off, I go back to sleep.

My wife says I should 'reset' my body clock - get up, get a drink/go to the toilet, but try and break the cycle. However this wakes me up even further OR I'm worried it will wake me even more, whereas if I remove the mask, I'll go to sleep straight away.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get back to sleeping through the night with the mask on?  I'd love to have a night where I go to bed, and sleep - without waking again till morning, but I don't think it's happened for as long as I can remember.  Normal?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like you are experiencing some anxiety regarding whether you will be able to use the mask for the remainder of the night.  I think what your wife is suggesting is the best way to do it - often when you try to force sleep, or sleep in a certain manner that just makes it worse.  

I have taken my mask off a few times, and here are a few of the rules I have in place help prevent me from falling asleep without the mask: 
  • When I take the mask on I place it on the pillow, that way I have to move it to go back to sleep.  
  • If I feel "up" I will go downstairs and leave the bedroom to try and avoid frustration.  I will only come back when ready. 
  • If my head is on the pillow and the lights are off, my mask is on.  If I can't fall asleep I force myself to get up.  It makes for some very tired days, but it reinforces the goal of mask on if in bed.  

I haven't taken my mask off in a while, and most of the behaviors I mentioned above are now second nature.  

If you can't get any of these or similar tricks to work, you could always try zzzquil or other non-habit forming sleep aids to help push you by that first wake up.  As a last resort you could always speak to a doctor who could possibly prescribe something to help with the middle of the night anxiety.  

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gr8Catter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you were using software, you could post some data for others to look at , to see if there are any settings you could change to dial your therapy in to help you. Hang in there for more suggestions.
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

I've just found the SleepyHead Software, and downloaded all the data. I have no idea what I am looking at though!

A better night last night - slept from 12 till 6 ish with the mask on - about the average amount of sleep for me. I woke up but was determined not to take the mask off, so just tried to convince myself not to - and it worked!

Mind you - I did have an interrupted sleep where I had to get out of bed at 2.

If anybody is willing to have a look at my 'data' and tell me what it means, or give me a guide to what to look for, most appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, keep it up. In no time it will be second nature, and you won't want to take the mask off.

You'll need a couple more posts to send a screenshot. Follow the tutorials in my signature line, especially the one that shows how to organize your graphs. Then we can take a look and see if your therapy needs tweaking.

In the meantime, a link to the Beginners Guide to SleepyHead.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with the Air Touch F20 memory foam mask NadiaK 0 169 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NadiaK
  Last night not a good night Novello1234 15 586 06-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Last Post: DavePaulson
  keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap DariaVader 14 3,516 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Last Post: lazurm
  Taking mask off at night while sleeping doctor perscribed Nuvigil nap80 14 1,601 04-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Last Post: TurdFerguson8675
  Do I still meet the 4 hour a night compliance if my mask leaks? UKwildcatfan 4 506 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  1st night with DreamWear mask - Best night ever pwgphoto 34 6,983 08-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Last Post: HoustonMIke
  First Night using Simplus Mask SkinTone 17 1,254 08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: chill