Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Keeping mask on all through the night!
Keeping mask on all through the night!
Hello all.

I've been using my machine (can't remember make/model etc currently) for a few years now, but for probably the last 18 mths, having a lot of trouble sleeping through the night AND keeping the mask on.

I regularly find myself waking at some time during the night, tossing and turning and despite trying to get back to sleep, I can't without taking the mask off - at which stage I fall asleep quickly. It doesn't seem to matter how long I've been asleep for - 1 hour, or 4 - if I take the mask off, I go back to sleep.

My wife says I should 'reset' my body clock - get up, get a drink/go to the toilet, but try and break the cycle. However this wakes me up even further OR I'm worried it will wake me even more, whereas if I remove the mask, I'll go to sleep straight away.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get back to sleeping through the night with the mask on?  I'd love to have a night where I go to bed, and sleep - without waking again till morning, but I don't think it's happened for as long as I can remember.  Normal?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Keeping mask on all through the night!
It seems like you are experiencing some anxiety regarding whether you will be able to use the mask for the remainder of the night.  I think what your wife is suggesting is the best way to do it - often when you try to force sleep, or sleep in a certain manner that just makes it worse.  

I have taken my mask off a few times, and here are a few of the rules I have in place help prevent me from falling asleep without the mask: 
  • When I take the mask on I place it on the pillow, that way I have to move it to go back to sleep.  
  • If I feel "up" I will go downstairs and leave the bedroom to try and avoid frustration.  I will only come back when ready. 
  • If my head is on the pillow and the lights are off, my mask is on.  If I can't fall asleep I force myself to get up.  It makes for some very tired days, but it reinforces the goal of mask on if in bed.  

I haven't taken my mask off in a while, and most of the behaviors I mentioned above are now second nature.  

If you can't get any of these or similar tricks to work, you could always try zzzquil or other non-habit forming sleep aids to help push you by that first wake up.  As a last resort you could always speak to a doctor who could possibly prescribe something to help with the middle of the night anxiety.  

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gr8Catter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you were using software, you could post some data for others to look at , to see if there are any settings you could change to dial your therapy in to help you. Hang in there for more suggestions.
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just found the SleepyHead Software, and downloaded all the data. I have no idea what I am looking at though!

A better night last night - slept from 12 till 6 ish with the mask on - about the average amount of sleep for me. I woke up but was determined not to take the mask off, so just tried to convince myself not to - and it worked!

Mind you - I did have an interrupted sleep where I had to get out of bed at 2.

If anybody is willing to have a look at my 'data' and tell me what it means, or give me a guide to what to look for, most appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, keep it up. In no time it will be second nature, and you won't want to take the mask off.

You'll need a couple more posts to send a screenshot. Follow the tutorials in my signature line, especially the one that shows how to organize your graphs. Then we can take a look and see if your therapy needs tweaking.

In the meantime, a link to the Beginners Guide to SleepyHead.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 268 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 279 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 346 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 709 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
Question Mother's ResMed Astral 150 not keeping oxygen level high enough/what should I ask? Helena 4 578 12-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 597 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 654 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.