Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP & Lasik Eye Surgery
CPAP & Lasik Eye Surgery
I am scheduled to get Lasik eye surgery on the 28th of September. I am currently using resmed p10 pillows which seem to do a well enough job keeping the air in side my skull. I would like to pick any brains out there about their experiences with Lasik eye surgery and using a cpap machine. Did you find raising/lowering the humidity level helped with comfort? How do your eyes feel after a night with it? Anything I should be concerned about? I am a little worried about dry eyes.
Bug-eyed
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP & Lasik Eye Surgery
(09-19-2017, 10:04 PM)Wolfram Wrote: I am scheduled to get Lasik eye surgery on the 28th of September. I am currently using resmed p10 pillows which seem to do a well enough job keeping the air in side my skull. I would like to pick any brains out there about their experiences with Lasik eye surgery and using a cpap machine. Did you find raising/lowering the humidity level helped with comfort? How do your eyes feel after a night with it? Anything I should be concerned about? I am a little worried about dry eyes.
Bug-eyed
Thanks!

I haven't had any experience with that at all, but could you maybe cover your eyes with those eye pillows people use for travel?
Post Reply Post Reply
The first week or so after Laski, IIRC, you sleep with some goggles that the doctor/clinic supplies as you don't want to be rubbing the eyes at all until the corneal flap is pretty much healed.

Other than the goggles and having another strap around your head, I can't see any interference except for where the upper part of a nasal mask would set and since you are on nasal pillows, that shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking googles go on first,then the CPAP headgear.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I had SBK Lasik almost 10 years ago, and it was an absolute miracle.  I was blind as a bat.  I have what they call "blended vision", one eye for distance and one eye for near vision with the median point being about arms length.

Those who've had a bad Lasik outcome have my sympathy, but the outcome is proportional with the expertise of the doctor.  There are an awful lot of doctors offering Lasik, and those who offer it at a discounted price seem more attractive.  The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is true.  These are your eyes; you only have one chance to get it right so don't scrimp.

Another post is correct in that they give you goggles, or eye shields to wear for a period after the surgery.  In my case, they were more like safety glasses, I think there was even a piece of foam cushion on the bottom of the lens to protect your cheek and may keep your CPAP from blowing air in your eyes.  Another hint for you, buy swim goggles to take a shower in order to keep water out of your eyes.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since this has drifted into the pros and cons of Lasix surgery, I'm moving those posts to Off Topic.

You can find them here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...s-and-Cons
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping this within the bounds of the event (more or less) and not the pros and cons here are my 2 cents worth.

I had cataract surgery last month (one eye) and told my doctor that I was on CPAP with a FFM. He said no problem with it in regard to the surgery or healing. 

I had to wear a single eye patch for a week at night so I wouldn't rub the eye. Nothing different during the day. The one thing I found with my FFM was it helped hold the eye patch in pace and I only needed one piece of tape. The only drawback was the bask restricted where I could put the tape, which wasn't a real big deal. 

My doctor was quite pleased with the healing and progress and I just finished with my drops last night. If you doctor does give you drops, make sure you follow the dosing and if you have question, talk to the doc. I had to do drops three times a day and I went over when I was going to do them - essentially shortly after I got up in the morning, mid to late afternoon, and just before I went to sleep. Told it was a good plan. You may want to talk with the doc about getting your drops compounded instead of using traditional prescriptions. I was on a 3 drop combo for three weeks and the doc gave me the option to get it compounded so I would only need to do one drop each time. Granted, I had to pay out of pocket, but it was far cheaper than the 3 copays for the drops.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I had PRK eye surgery (similar to LASIK) last June. I never experienced any dry eyes from my mask. The doctor which performed it wasn't the last bit worried about CPAP. All in all it was a great experience.

BTW I was not given any sort of goggles or other sleep eye protection.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cant make general statements, i had lasik perormed by the best doctors in the state and still have dry eye
Post Reply Post Reply
General statements never cover 100%, just not possible in the real world. Most is the best you get.
FIL had his eyes done, one after the other a week or two apart, used CPAP before during and after without a problem. This was within the last 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2017, 08:13 PM)Kryogen Wrote: Cant make general statements, i had lasik perormed by the best doctors in the state and still have dry eye

Kryogen or anyone else,
Did you have a dry eye issue before or while using Cpap? Or did the dry eye problem start after the lasik?

I ask because I have always suffered with dry eyes and Cpap use has aggravated it, although I use eye drops and oinments that help.

I'm looking to have cataract surgery within the next year and wondering how some here have fared with the dry eye issue after surgery compared to before.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 0 18 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,952 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 707 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.