Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Leaking Air
Leaking Air
Good evening all
I have just joined and was trying to wade through the hundred of threads to see if any applied to me. I was diagnosed a year ago with apnea and have tried several masks but can not tolerate the noise from leaks. The noise used to wake me up more than the actual apnea! I stopped using it altogether but My GP is telling me I need to be on it. Can someone please point me towards the latest on the market? Im hopefull there are more advanced ones now. Ive tried full face and nose only masks.
Thank you,
Carol
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking Air
Nose only...does that mean OVER the nose....only....or do you mean the 'pillows' that stick up into the nose a bit?  

How are you fitting the straps?

Have you seen, or heard of, foam strips that can help seal the mask at the periphery?  Some have resorted to that when every mask seems to be a poor fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell us specifically which masks you have already tried. Are you a mouth-breather? That does make a difference. 

The more this forum knows, the better it can help you. Also, it'll probably help as well if we know which machine you are using.
Post Reply Post Reply
This could help you decide 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYJNpPxAr0&feature=share
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard the ResMed P10 pillows can be very quiet.

Fisher and Paykel make great masks but they're likely not nearly quiet enough.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
By leaking air, do you mean the mask is leaking when it shouldn't? Normally there should be no leaks, except for the small constant airflow through the exhaust holes. Or do you mean those holes are too noisy? In that case there are definitely masks on the market that don't have this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should receive many replies to your issue as this seems to be the major problem for many --- and ongoing!

I can't use the nasal mask -- won't stay in place (mask or the headgear).

I use the full-face mask (F20 and the Vitera - two different brands) -- both very good but if you don't have a good headgear, or one that fits appropriately, you'll have issues.  May NOT be the MASK -- the ones with soft silicone or foam work better for me because they 'mold' to the areas around my face (and not everyone's face is the same, of course).

My DME adjusted my headgear several times (then several times more) -- and if I'm lying on my back, not moving, it's fine.  Turn over a time or two and the headgear moves and I have air leaks.  So I tighten my headgear -- sometimes to the point it's like glued to my face (and it doesn't have to be; just takes a lot of adjustments and trial and error)!

So all that said, if you have a good mask and you like the fit .... work with the headgear -- there are all kinds of 'tips' but you may still have to tighten the top area or the bottom, around the chin.  It's ALL in the headgear -- or that's my take on it.

It's been frustrating for me too and the last time I went into the local DME office, I apologized and was told "the most complaints are the fit" and many CPAP wearers return frequently -- it's hard to make it work for everyone.

One last thing: you'll get the fit just right and after a period of time, the headgear stretches somewhat -- throws you off totally.  So, they don't last forever either.  Once you are fit with the proper size (and yes, there's a difference in small and medium) -- have an extra.  After a while when you get leaks, change it out.  Then wash the one you were using -- let it dry and it may snug up a little bit.  

I was about to give up but really like the CPAP and the humidity -- helps me breathe so much easier and I'm not as tired every morning.  The last few weeks have been so good -- but when I start getting leaks on a nightly basis, I know I need to change out the headgear.

NO -- another 'last thing' - well, two ---- if you are a mouth breather and have issues, TAPE your mouth -- it works (prevents that DRY mouth) and if the mask rubs the top of your nasal area and you have a red nose every morning, put a band-aid on your nose -- it works too (I tried the gel pads but they wouldn't stay in place and a box of band-aids are cheap -- the padded ones are better for me; being female, better than layers of concealer).

Good luck ..... ONE fit is NOT the same for every person; the adjustments are still up to me while wearing it every night.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
With all due respect to SarcasticDave94, my experience is that the F%P Brevida minimal noise is not enough to keep me from falling asleep -- and I do not fall asleep easily! After awhile, the noise of breathing in and out becomes "white noise" which I don't notice. Just one guy's opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's OK, we can disagree, but I think we're on the same page. I was answering in a way to reflect what the OP was asking about. I forgot to specify that in the last post. Sorry was in a hurry to get back to the coffee.

For myself, then my Vitera noise is fine. For those that are sensitive to noise, it may not. But comfort and leak control are 11 out of 10 if adjusted correct.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 641 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 408 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 593 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,539 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 544 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,480 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 509 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.