Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Leaking and narrow nose
Leaking and narrow nose
Been on CPAP for 6 months.  On my third mask, started with a Quattro, then simplus and now a F20.  I have central sleep apnea.  My problem is leaking around my nose bridge.  I have a liner on, but I have a narrow nose.  I have to wear a FFM.  Any suggestions?  Does any one use Laniosh ?  How do you use it.  My AHI range from 3-5 mainly.  right now I am between insurance, so I have no resp company.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking and narrow nose
G'day Zimm4r. Welcome to Apnea Board.

I have a similar problem. I found that a partial liner helps a lot. Take a strip of fabric ( eg flannelette) and fold it so you have three layers about 20mm wide and 80mm long. Drape this over the bridge of your nose, then place the mask so that the fabric is between the mask and your skin. You might need more or less layers and different dimensions to suit your facs, but a little experimentation will set it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanoish cream is for use in the nasal openings. Most of us who use a nasal pillow mask
use this to keep nasal passages from getting irritated.

Since you are using a full face mask, you probably don't need it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that.  Do you think it matters if flannette or I use tshirt material?  My whole cpap experience has been a large experiment.  Thankfully there is forums like this to help us out
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
zimm4er,

The F20 mask generally seals well on the nasal bridge IF you make sure to push it up on your face so that it rests against your brow. It does not seem to like riding even a little lower on your nose. A lot of people put it on by placing just the seal at the top of the mask on their nose midway up or so. Then slide it up the nose until your brow stops it. Then put the rest of the mask against your face. Pull the headgear over your head and fasten the lower straps.

Another thing for your consideration with the F20. At your pressure, with a full face mask, your headgear will need to be strapped on fairly tightly. Your mask will not "float on your face" actually it will but not the way it would feel if you just laid the mask on your face while lying on your back. I can feel the mask float a little when I switch from inhale to exhale quickly and strongly. Your mask straps should be adjusted just tight enough to make the leaks stop and no more. You should work your tightening in small increments to insure that you do not go by the "just tight enough" point.

I have noticed that your pressure is fairly high. It is in the same area as mine. I mouth leak and have not been able to solve it with a chin strap. The only full face masks that I have found that work well for me are the F20 and the Mirage Quattro. My problem is not so much a thin nose but a deep set nasal bridge and prominent cheekbones. I was using the Mirage Quattro which works well for me when the F20 came out. It took me a while with the F20 but I finally got it working almost as well as the MQ. I get slightly better leakage rates with the MQ.

I find the F20 a little more convenient. The narrower straps on the headgear were making my neck sore so I purchased a pair of strap sleeves from Padacheek (I think they are supplier number 31 on our supplier list). That helped a lot and they can be used to minimize strap marks.

Let us know how you do.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,990 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 174 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 346 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.