Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP- Life or Death or just Quality of Life
CPAP- Life or Death or just Quality of Life
Studies have shown that CPAP therapy improves quality of life but surprisingly does not improve outcomes with people that have heart disease.
Link
http://www.georgeinstitute.org.cn/media-...ithout-any

Is this something that posters on this board agree with? or is it total nonsense?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP- Life or Death or just Quality of Life
I would take the article with a grain of salt.  .  .  Unless I'm the exception to the norm.  I had uncontrolled high blood pressure (210/120 @ 45 pulse) and was sent for a sleep study because the cardiologist was out of ideas, tests, and medications.  Now my BP is 120/80 @ 65 pulse with less medication than prior to CPAP treatment.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may never know if CPAP will ONLY improve my health because if it doesn't, then I would be dead and I wouldn't know it. 

I too started to develop very high blood pressure (I had mild hypertension) and I had to go WAY up on my meds to ATTEMPT to get my pressure down.  After about a month (or less), my BP dropped like a rock and now I'm cutting way back on meds, so from that perspective I'm very happy. 

I don't take one study to be gospel, it has to be able to be reproduced by others and the other thing, the only way to do a good study is to wait YEARS to see how many people die from high blood pressure, stroke, heart failure, compared to those with similar symptoms are on CPAP.   It would take a good long time to look at a double blind study and if they need me to be in the study, then I want to be part of the treatment group.
Post Reply Post Reply
Studies like these are very sceptical without knowing their control and how they did the study.
Of course people live longer, they are less likely to be involved in a car accident.
That bit of sarcasm over, I reckon I would ot be here now if it were not for CPAP.
I had high blood pressure and I was struggling to do anything for long, my body just wanted to shut down.
It is ok for these people that get funding to do these studies, for what purpose I don;t know, but I bet i he suffered he would have it have a very different outcome.
How can they say it has no effect on the outcome, I was so knackered I could have lay down to die at any time.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a link to the actual Article in the New England Journal of Medicine. It includes links to a 80 page Appendix inside the article.

It has more detail on how they did the study. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJ...cleResults
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for looking that up, WallaWalla. I think we looked at this article last year when it came out, but I'm not sure.
The important point here is that the mean duration of treatment was about 3½ per night - which doesn't even count as compliant by our standards. So no wonder there wasn't much difference between users and control groups. I'd like to see a breakdown of 'primary end point' against users' hours of use per night. My prediction would be that the higher the hours of use, the lower the morbidity. Just a guess...
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like the test was seeing if CPAP could cure people who already had heart problems. It had nothing to due with preventing heart problems. To qualify for the study you had to have heart problems. I would call that stacking the deck. The real question should have been how many people did CPAP prevent from developing heart problems in the first place. I also agree it was a very low standard at 3.3 hours per night on CPAP.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Previous discussion http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...cpap-users
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for digging that out, Chill; I didn't look far enough back.

It's a good discussion of the limits of this study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2017, 05:43 PM)chill Wrote: Previous discussion http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...cpap-users

I'm gobsmacked that that 'study' even got past the first phase in design.    Blind Freddy could see such a low compliance base would be pointless and should have been challenged at the get-go.
Common sense, where were you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 123 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 783 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 446 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 295 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,257 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 901 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,417 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.