Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: Unsure
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Local Provider vs. Online CPAP
I'm just starting my therapy -- in a 30 day trial in Canada/Maritime region. My local provider/clinic has set me up with a Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. I'm coming to the end of my trial period and just received the assessment from the insurance company. They cap the expense at $2000 -- at 90% and a $250. But my provider has estimated the cost of the machine and accessories at 2560$ CDN. So I would have to pay close to $1000 out of pocket. When I look online at Canadian retailers -- I can get this same device for $1100. I understand the value of having local service and support from a provider/clinic -- but the difference in price seems a bit out of whack.

Should I pay the price to the local provider -- or go with an online retailer?
07-06-2016 07:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
kwhenrykerr Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto, AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Philips, AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 12-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: 2L added oxygen with CMS50F to check usage

RE: Local Provider vs. Online CPAP
Check out the suppliers at the top of the form. Reading and exploring this form will help a lot.Sleep-well

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
07-06-2016 07:17 AM
BigDaddySnooze Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10

Other Comments:

Thanks. Most of those suppliers are US based -- I'm in Canada. Regardless -- I've done the research online....I know I can get it a lot cheaper even with Canadian online suppliers -- $1000 less out of pocket if I go this route. I'm just debating the value of using a local provider vs. just going online. The difference in price seems unreasonably high.
07-06-2016 07:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Where I have gotten real help from my local DME is with mask fitting. When I first started using CPAP last winter, and when I switched to nasal pillows recently, they were really helpful. With my CPAP machine, though? I called once when I had first started therapy, and the respiratory therapist said "You should probably increase your C-Flex setting." (expiratory pressure relief) That's the sum total of the help I've gotten from them with CPAP issues, and it wasn't from lack of asking. I gave up and started relying on this forum.
07-06-2016 08:04 AM
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

(07-06-2016 07:10 AM)BigDaddySnooze Wrote:  I understand the value of having local service and support from a provider/clinic -- but the difference in price seems a bit out of whack.

Hello BigDaddySnoose

Welcome to the forum.

I had the same frustration here in the US with the DME (providers)

I have only been on therapy for 7 months but I have found that every thing I can get from the Local DME's is twice the price and takes three times as long to get, when compared to the online sources.

I also have not found the Local DME helpful. They typically do not want to help you mange your own therapy.

I buy my supplies online from places that allow me to return them if they don't meet my needs and then submit the receipt to my insurance or reimbursements.

Can you submit receipts for reimbursement?
07-06-2016 08:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Double check your insurance. Mine (Sunlife) was $2000 for the machine plus $2000 for supplies (hose, mask, filters, etc. etc). I ended up paying nothing, but I have 100% coverage with no deductible.

Unlike the US DMEs, I had excellent service here in Canada. How has your local provider been for you? I get appointments quickly and they have everything in stock. They also handle warranty problems by either replacing the machine or giving you a free loaner while repairs are being done. I found my RT to be very helpful in getting me started successfully, though this board has taken me much further after the good start.

When getting started, I'd lean towards doing it locally. With a backup machine and a better understanding of your therapy, I might be tempted to look on-line. But as long as my insurance is covering it all, I think I will continue to use my local company for the convenience and for a RT that knows what she is talking about. Buying on-line, you are guessing at mask fit and can't try and compare several options like you can locally.
07-06-2016 10:11 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

BigDaddySnooze,

Some of the suppliers on the Supplier List ship outside the U.S. The worst thing that can happen is them telling "No", they don't ship to Canada.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
07-06-2016 01:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi BigDaddySnooze,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
07-06-2016 03:08 PM
BigDaddySnooze Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10

Other Comments:

Thanks all for the feedback. I have a call with the local DME -- I will raise the issue then. They have been good and easy to work with --- and I always like to buy local, and certainly don't mind paying a bit more to get good service. But I feel they have misrepresented their costs by making it seem like the money is in buying the CPAP device itself. If they would represent it as both services and a cost for the device, then maybe I wouldn't feel so bitter about finding out the device they want to sell me @2500$ can be bought online for less than half the price. I also wonder if it would be treated differently by the insurance company if service was separate.
07-06-2016 04:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
srlevine1 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense Autoset (S10)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Activa LT
Humidifier: Internal to S10
CPAP Pressure: 12-15.6
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(07-06-2016 07:10 AM)BigDaddySnooze Wrote:  I'm just starting my therapy -- in a 30 day trial in Canada/Maritime region. My local provider/clinic has set me up with a Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. I'm coming to the end of my trial period and just received the assessment from the insurance company. They cap the expense at $2000 -- at 90% and a $250. But my provider has estimated the cost of the machine and accessories at 2560$ CDN. So I would have to pay close to $1000 out of pocket. When I look online at Canadian retailers -- I can get this same device for $1100. I understand the value of having local service and support from a provider/clinic -- but the difference in price seems a bit out of whack.

Should I pay the price to the local provider -- or go with an online retailer?

Something to remember: it is the manufacturer's warranty and they can supply a list of local companies to provide this service if something does wrong (which rarely happens).

Therefore, using an internet provider or separating your purchase of a machine from a local DME who tracks compliance and initially sets the machine is not a risky move.

In all cases, your doctor can usually set the machine in their office and you avoid a trip to the DME.

As long as you use one of the large manufacturers like ResMed or Phillips, it is not a risk. Make sure your internet provider has a good reputation and that you are getting a "new machine." If you can, pay through a method that offers you product protection and dispute resolution like a credit card or PayPal.

Before doing anything else, check the total number of hours the machine has been used. If you need problems with accessing the number or settings, this forum is superb in providing assistance.

Good luck.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
07-06-2016 05:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 367 12-01-2016 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  DME or Online? EnigmaGrey 6 387 10-09-2016 10:31 AM
Last Post: TonyJ
  Online suppliers clipper 9 444 07-23-2016 12:02 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  New to all this. Apria vs. Online? jgoole 18 1,464 07-15-2016 10:40 AM
Last Post: nzbnate
  Purchasing APAP machine online cate1898 8 730 06-14-2016 04:45 AM
Last Post: Mutineer
  Newbie question - should I buy my FIRST machine online or from a local distributor? kowlooner 11 1,122 04-26-2016 10:53 PM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Problems Getting Into Provider Settings [DreamStation] Hopefullady 5 1,277 12-16-2015 09:31 AM
Last Post: Hopefullady