Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Long time CPAP user, not sleeping through the night for some reason
Gross 
Long time CPAP user, not sleeping through the night for some reason
Hi Im new to the forum. Ive been on CPAP therapy for 6 years now. I moved to a Philips/ Respironics AutoPap almost 2 years ago but I didnt rally know if it was helping or not so I put it back to CPAP mode with my usual pressure at 12. I never sleep straight through the night and it has become very frustrating. So, the other day I put my machine back on Auto mode with the pressure setting from 4-20. Still waking up. Oh and this happens even when I take prescription meds for sleep that I get from the VA.
Help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long time CPAP user, not sleeping through the night for some reason
welcome to the forum - not sure about prescription meds and why you,re not sleeping thru the night ... there,re other reasons than cpap
look at the machine data, 90% pressure - AHI - large leak
the 90% pressure would give an idea what was the pressure at and below for 90% of the time using the machine
for example if it say 12 than 4 is too low for minimum pressure
you can download and use SleepyHead software which can tell more details graph ... what was the pressure breath by breath during the night
do you have a followup with your sleep doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board, SFC. Unless you are aware of a possible reason for your awakenings during the night, such as noise from a leaking mask, having unknowingly removed the mask during the night--something noticeable like that, I'd think it is due to something other than your xPAP equipment that's waking you up. This thought is reinforced by your reporting that even with sleep meds, you're still waking up. If you decided to dabble in the available software mentioned by zonk, that might shed some light on whether the problem is due to your equipment, but it sounds like the problem may be from elsewhere. So, I agree with zonk's suggestion that this should probably be taken up with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sfcmedic1 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I echo what everyone has said so far but hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Middle of the night insomnia is pretty hard to deal with. I'm sure you would have tried all the sleep hygiene measures,and sleeping pills don't work, so the next thing is visiting a sleep professional. I don't mean a sleep disorder doc, but a psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker or licensed therapist who deals in sleep. They can teach you, among other methods, biofeedback. If I knew what other methods they teach, I would be selling sleep. If you have an idea of what is waking you- chronic pain, stress or worry that's making it hard for you to get back to sleep you can deal with that. One method that works for me both going to sleep and stubborn awakenings is to put my old-fashioned to use with a cd that always puts me to sleep. There are several good books out there about sleep and maybe you could find some ideas in one of them. That said, sfcmedic1 you've got your work cut out for you. Insomnia is a tough nut to crack. Please keep us posted on the steps you take to resolve this- it will help us help the next person, because there is always someone else with insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2012, 07:16 PM)sfcmedic1 Wrote: Hi Im new to the forum. Ive been on CPAP therapy for 6 years now. I moved to a Philips/ Respironics AutoPap almost 2 years ago but I didnt rally know if it was helping or not so I put it back to CPAP mode with my usual pressure at 12. I never sleep straight through the night and it has become very frustrating. So, the other day I put my machine back on Auto mode with the pressure setting from 4-20. Still waking up. Oh and this happens even when I take prescription meds for sleep that I get from the VA.
Help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks

Hi,

Did this happen with previous machines?

The reason I am asking is I know of someone who was in a similar situation but once this person moved to a Resmed machine, was able to get off all sleep meds. Apparently, some people are quite sensitive to the pressure pulses the Philips Respironics machine sends out.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

Hi,

The reason I am asking is I know of someone who was in a similar situation but once this person moved to a Resmed machine, was able to get off all sleep meds. Apparently, some people are quite sensitive to the pressure pulses the Philips Respironics machine sends out.

49er
[/quote]

I've heard this a few times now about people having trouble going to a different style/method CPAP machine. Is there a recommended "break in" period to get weaned off your old unit if it works differently then the new one?

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it took me about a week or 10 days to get used to the Resmed S9 after being on a RemStar brick for a few months.
There is a big difference in the way the two machines handle pressure scheduling!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You sound like me except I am female and no doubt much older. For me I think it hass to do with what I eat before bed. I know any citric acid foods such as marinara sauce or oranges or citrus can keep me awake or wake me up after an hr or so. I also can not go to bed at 9 or before 10:30PM or I wake in an hour or two. I have the Remstar A flex. It was totally silent when I first got it, it now can have some noise that sounds like rain outside but it is air. Not leaking however. I hope a sleep therapist can help, as most are of no help. I do try raw almond butter a TBS sometimes, I also hear Pomegranate juice but that is acidic for me. Almond butter.... not sure. Naps mess me upo for sure but I take them when I need to anyway. I also take a 10mg Melatonin and that helps get me to sleep but not stay asleep. Toutine and good sleep hygeine is important. Being on internet before sleep stimulates the brain so that si not good. Dim lights help. It is still a mystery to me why it happens to me sometimes. good luck I forgot to mention I also own another c-pap Resmed auto also and it is a bit noisy with how the air works but I have had good naps with that too in a darkened room. I would have the Resmed but I had to fight to get the auto titrating as it is. My supplier does not offer any Remed at all but the pillows and headgear stuff. They want to supply cheapest models if they can do so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi,

49er
[/quote]

I've heard this a few times now about people having trouble going to a different style/method CPAP machine. Is there a recommended "break in" period to get weaned off your old unit if it works differently then the new one?
[/quote]

What is a Remstar brick? You get hit in the head with a brick or what? I have not noticed a difference in what you said. If I sleep and stay asleep 7hrs I am happy. My problem is my Schnauzer alarm clock. Dogs barking by 7:22AM when alarm is set for 8AM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 59 942 1 hour ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,428 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 4 137 6 hours ago
Last Post: dharma2255
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 173 Today, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 157 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 121 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.