Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Looking for Thoughts on Smartstart
Looking for Thoughts on Smartstart
Brand new CPAP user here!

When machine was set up the DME used ramp feature instead of SmartStart feature. 

Would appreciate knowing others thoughts on using this feature--good/bad/or indifferent. I have to assume there is more to it than not using the on/off button.

Thanks all
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for Thoughts on Smartstart
SmartStart doesn't do anything the button cannot do. It's simply an auto start/stop based on breathing into the mask; or removing the mask.
Smartstart does not exclude use of ramp.

There are occasional negative aspects to smartstart. A large leak may give the machine the impression the mask has been removed; and the blower may shutdown. Some people use it. I prefer the positive action of the button.

Where is comes in handy is when the button is out of reach.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use ramp because I no longer need it. It was nice for my 1st week or 2, but I no longer need it.

I'm not sure what the features are called, but my machine has a couple different features. I have enabled the one where it starts automatically when it senses a breath. I don't actually use the feature; but I figure if for some reason it's not turned on, but I have the mask on, maybe it'll figure out I do want it to be on. BUT I have disabled the fewture that auto shuts it off - I figure I don't need it to shut off on me, I can just push a button when I'm awake.

There is also the feature that makes it start at your 90% pressure (or something like that). I don't use that feature because I have my min pressure pretty close to that, and it's a nice min pressure to start with.

But experiment, and see what you like. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started I really liked the Smartstart. Now I don't use it. I did not like the way there was a lag on turning off, and I was concerned that if/when I got a big mouth leak it would shut off the machine. Once I got the unit placed in an 0easy to reach spot, the button on top works just fine for me. From day 2 I turned off the ramp, I had no issue with my pressure and within 3 or 4 breaths I breath totally normally, except when I sleep I don't stop breathing any more
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 09:12 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm not sure what the features are called, but my machine has a couple different features. I have enabled the one where it starts automatically when it senses a breath.  I don't actually use the feature; but I figure if for some reason it's not turned on, but I have the mask on, maybe it'll figure out I do want it to be on. BUT I have disabled the feature that auto shuts it off - I figure I don't need it to shut off on me, I can just push a button when I'm awake.

It should be noted that PR DreamStations have a separate auto-start and auto-stop. ResMed SmartStart combines both.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
"It should be noted that PR DreamStations have a separate auto-start and auto-stop. ResMed SmartStart combines both."

Oddly enough, I find the auto-start quite convenient, but I always use the top button to stop it in the morning. I noticed that SleepyHead would always mark the auto-stop as a large leak, and change the scaling of the leak graph to accomodate those few seconds.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
The only time I found the SmartStart to be beneficial was when I had a sick dog.  This feature allowed me to quickly remove my mask, turning off the CPAP without having to find the off button, and get outside before disaster struck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still use the ramp altho I increased the start pressure to 5cmH2O and decreased the time from 20 min to 10 min

I use the autostart and like that feature.
I always hit the off button before removing the mask.
I just don't like the whooshing sound when the mask is removed, plus don't want to disturb my GF sleep.
Hitting the off button is better than the alarm snooze button. it gets me out of bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:59 AM)pholynyk Wrote: "It should be noted that PR DreamStations have a separate auto-start and auto-stop. ResMed SmartStart combines both."

Oddly enough, I find the auto-start quite convenient, but I always use the top button to stop it in the morning. I noticed that SleepyHead would always mark the auto-stop as a large leak, and change the scaling of the leak graph to accomodate those few seconds.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Wink

I'm this way too....climb into bed, grab the mask, get comfy, put it on and just breathe....no more moving about and the machine will start. In the morning, I'm rolling out of bed anyway, so I just hit the button. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp and autostart are two different things and can both work at the same time. I turned off the ramp after about 2-3 weeks of starting cpap. I was very tolerant of my lower start pressure.

The autostart is handy as the button often wears out. Another advantage is that if your cat steps on the button and shuts the unit off, autostart starts it back up (it's puzzling for awhile when you look at your Sleepyhead data). Auto-off doesn't seem to work for my masks. However, if you unhook your mask from the hose, it will shut off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,755 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,509 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,569 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 834 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 402 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 733 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.