Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Checks and Calibration
CPAP Machine Checks and Calibration
During a recent visit to my Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon, he posed the question "When was the last time your CPAP was checked or calibrated?" Can any member suggest what and how to calibrate/check a machine other than returning it to the manufacturer at great cost. It would be necessary to hire a standin machine.
Thinking-aboutThinking-aboutThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machine Checks and Calibration
Your DME should do that annually. Mine does in by 10 am out by 2 pm.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a simple thing of hooking it up to a manometer. Some DMEs will charge an outrageous amount of money for hooking the hose up to a plastic device to see how far up the ball goes.

Check out online suppliers. Most of them have manometers at decent prices. You can check yours periodically then take it in should it ever drift. Which I doubt it will.

Some of the older machines drifted quite often and had to be checked every 6-12 months.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a digital manometer. it displays in inches of water; so I multiply by 2.54 to get cm-H2O.
I can only check EPAP as the digital display doesn't settle on the fast moving IPAP.

A simple U-tube with water in it and a centimeter ruler can be used.

My DME has never offered to check my machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, you can build your own at very little cost.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 09:57 PM)graeme Wrote: Can any member suggest what and how to calibrate/check a machine other than returning it to the manufacturer at great cost. It would be necessary to hire a standin machine.
Thinking-aboutThinking-aboutThanks
No need sending the machine to the manufacturer, anyone of local suppliers can checked it out for you on the spot for free
Here is a place in Liverpool, there are others too
Liverpool Sleep Apnea Equipment
323 Hume Hwy, Liverpool NSW 2170
Phone: (02) 9602 2134

If looking for a backup machine that won't break the bank, suppliers #2 and #10 ship to Australia
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a fully data capable CPAP machine, as long as you check your results, and you're not having any problems, I don't see much reason to do a periodical check. Even if the pressure reading is "wrong," do you care? If you want 12 cm pressure, are getting 10, but you have a good AHI number and good results, do you care?

You can build your own manometer pretty easily and they're not too expensive to just buy one. Supplier#1 sells a gauge type manometer with a T adapter for $80 or so.

It takes some finesse to do this right with a roll your own water column manometer.

In particular, if you don't use a "T" adapter for a manometer, you are measuring the static pressure the CPAP puts out, not the pressure in actual use. It's entirely possible a CPAP machine would provide the right pressure connected to a manometer if there's no airflow, but give the wrong pressure if it's in actual use with airflow for respiration and intentional leak.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 12:24 AM)archangle Wrote: If you have a fully data capable CPAP machine, as long as you check your results, and you're not having any problems, I don't see much reason to do a periodical check. Even if the pressure reading is "wrong," do you care? If you want 12 cm pressure, are getting 10, but you have a good AHI number and good results, do you care?

I tend to agree with the above. As long as my therapy is on track according to the results shown by Sleepyhead and ResScan, I believe I can assume the device is functioning within normal tolerances.

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe they have evolved over the past decade plus. Back in the days of the CPAP dumb brick that weighed 20 pounds and just blew air, calibration checks were needed. Today's microprocessor controlled, multisensor machine likely would give and error code in the event it had a problem. Like today's cars, the OBD-II will set a code even if the gas cap is defective or left off.

Most every piece of equipment in a doctors office, even his sphygmomanometer, gets a calibration check and sticker. So the GI doc may not know that today's machines are self diagnostic.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME will put my machine on a manometer for nothing since I got it from them. But they will also check my wifes which didnt come from them for nothing. They checked mine when I picked it up then again at sixty days and will now anytime I would want them too though I havent done so.

I have no idea because I havent checked or called if a DME can calibrate a PRS1 Machine or just let you know your a bit off and in which direction.

Honestly though I agree with the idea that as long as your therapy is doing fine the machine being off a cm on its reading isnt going to matter. Unless maybe you need 20cm and the machine can only push 18 or some such odd thing like that.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,287 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.