Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
The Ontario Assistive Devices Program will only pay $1020 for an APAP machine under certain conditions -

Respiratory Equipment Policy and Administration Manual - Section 335.01: The individual must have polysomnographically documented OSAS where there is a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more; and the change must occur between REM vs. NREM sleep or supine vs. sleeping on their side.

On the other hand, ADP will pay $860 toward any CPAP machine. From ResMed, that means either a Resmed AirSense 10 CPAP or Elite model. The Elite model does supply full efficacy data; the CPAP model gives only limited compliance data. You want the Elite or Autoset model. (The AirStart models are not currently listed.) From Respironics, the Dreamstation CPAP again gives only limited compliance data. The Dreamstation CPAP Pro gives full efficacy data, and the Dreamstation Auto APAP does, as well.

There are additional requirements for obtaining ADP funding for xPAP equipment. The above manual can be found at   http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...tions.aspx

I suspect most insurance companies will require you to take advantage of the ADP program; OTOH, if you are going it alone, there is no reason why you should be restricted, as long as your doctor will write an APAP prescription.

I haven't run any of this past my DME, but if you can't get at least the Elite or CPAP Pro, you should go elsewhere. There is (of course) a list of ADP approved suppliers. Google 'assitive devices program' and poke around to find it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone. First I'm glad I found this place. I suffered a stroke 3 years ago and have hadn't messed up sleep ever since. Just recently had my sleep study and today I had my appointment where I got my results. I never achieved R.E.M. Sleep during my study and I had both obstructive and central apneas. The sleep doc said there is no treatment for central apneas but the machine would help with the obstructive apneas. I'm completely new to all of this. Today they had me pick which company to get my equipment from, I just picked the one closest to me and it's actually owned by my healthcare provider network.. which I do trust. Anyway she mentioned they would give me a ResMed (I think, does that sound right?) machine. She said they would call me within the next week to set up a time to come in and get my mask fitted and pick up my machine. Does this mean I'll have no choice? Is it possible at all that someplace require you to get a certain machine? After reading here (and I thank you all for all this info) it seems I should be able to pick my own. When they call me should I just tell them then I'd like to pick my own? Any help in guiding me through this would be great. My stroke brain is just freaking out and I want to just go with whatever they say because I don't want to deal with it.... but from advice here that doesn't seem like what I should do. Thanks guys in advance for all your help and guidance!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board Jstuts5797!

If they are offering you an Airsense 10 cpap, it may be what we call a "brick".

It's not a good idea to use an equipment supplier that is owned by your healthcare provider.
Their bottom line is profit, and will more than likely give you a machine that is not data capable.  You should ask for the Airsense 10 AutoSet.

Hey, you trust them, so hope I'm wrong,  Smile but I would call them before you accept the machine.

In the meantime, here is a link with alot of good information.  Look for the section explaining
machine choices.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PThanks for the warm welcome, and the link. I do trust them because they have given me top notch care over the years and pretty much saved my life gen when I didn't have insurance. The doc today said they will call me to set up a time to come in, when they call me I will then tell them  what I am wanting. I read at that part of that link about DAW (dispense a sister written) if they have prescribed me a certain machine would that mean that I have no choice in a machine at that point? Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your doctor and tell him what machine you want and confirm that the prescription is written to reflect that.

You definitely have a choice, but if you wait until they call you to pick up your machine, that will prolong things, as they will only give you what the script says.

You have the most power "before" you accept a machine, not after.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hellow Jstuts5797

That is good advice from Opalrose.

Keep us informed about how you make out.

We are all in the same boat and care for each other.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much everyone! Per advice here I just sent a secure message via my patient portal to my sleep doc saying I want the airsense 10 autoset. I'll post in here the results. I really do thank you all for this advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Supersleeper for the information.  I got stuck with a brick..... Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP my first time around.  My insurance agreed to upgrade to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset APAP machine, since I am having too many events with the CPAP.  I am looking forward to viewing my sleep data through the night. ThanksThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats Piconerd! I'm sure you will enjoy having the much more capable machine and data. It's not often we hear of such a happy ending.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure wish I had read through this before getting my CPAP provisioned. Any suggestions as to magic words to use to exchange the brick for an AutoSet?

I am about a week in and getting an AHI of about 2 (on my side) or 6 (on my back). Per observation from wife, those events are happening with no snoring. Diagnosis was OSA and I was a very heavy snorer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 97 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,429 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 86 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.