Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Ask your doctor to write a new script for an Auto Cpap.
Explain that you will have this machine for 5+ years, and your needs may change.  Plus you want to be proactive and be able to track your data.

He shouldn't care either way.  It's the DME's who profit.  Insurance will pay the same whether a Cpap or Auto Cpap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2017, 08:11 AM)SMWinnie Wrote: Sure wish I had read through this before getting my CPAP provisioned. Any suggestions as to magic words to use to exchange the brick for an AutoSet?

I am about a week in and getting an AHI of about 2 (on my side) or 6 (on my back). Per observation from wife, those events are happening with no snoring. Diagnosis was OSA and I was a very heavy snorer.

What OpalRose said, but be sure to emphasize to your doctor that your treatment with 6 AHI is unsatisfactory and leaves you tired.  You could "guess" at how to fix it, but with an auto machine, you would know, or not have any problem at all.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anybody have any experience with NHS?
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a number of U.K. members using the National Health Service. You wouldn't believe how many people in the U.S. think that would be a good idea. I see nothing but delays, bureaucracy, inaccesibility and lack of choices.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you choose your own machine with the nhs or you're stuck with what they give you?
Post Reply Post Reply
What is a DME?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 10:17 PM)zack37 Wrote: What is a DME?

Durable Medical Equipment provider.  (the company that supplies you with your CPAP machine).

That and a host of other common sleep-related acronyms can be found on this Wiki article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

A more complete definition can be found here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ment_(DME)

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I see now. Durable Medical equipment supplier. got it. sorry.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The information about different PAP devices and what to look for was invaluable to me when I was prescribed one by my doctor. The first DME company to which the doctor faxed my prescription information and test results had a terrible reputation for overbilling patients and other nefarious schemes, so I asked the doctor to send it to one that I thought would be better.

When I arrived at the DME place, I met with the respiratory therapist who took the device out of the box and went over the operation and cleaning instructions. She did hem and haw about the SD card saying that I would not need it right away. When I bothered to check when I arrived home, the device did not have one.

Now I'm wondering if I have been sold a used/refurbished machine. How could I find that out?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can check the hours by going into my options and going down to about. It should have the usage hours there.
You can also get to it in the clinical settings. Request a clinical guide from CPAP Setup Manuals  link at the top of Apnea Board Forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 98 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,430 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 86 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,447 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.