Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Notwithstanding any problems that can arise from a person buying a machine that won't help them, as long as you buy something from Amazon that's sold and shipped from Amazon and listed as new, if there's any evidence that the machine has been used (including wear or machine time) they'll pay to ship the item back and refund or replace the item. 

If you can't tell, my wife worked customer service for Amazon for a while...
Post Reply Post Reply
I've received results from my first sleep test, and have to go back for the second cpap pressure study.

I'm wondering, the article referenced here, about what machines to get/not get was written some time ago (based on the first posts date). Are the suggestions up to date for 11/2017 or are there some changes /additions I should know about?
Post Reply Post Reply
The article references the AirSense 10 (ResMed) series and the Dreamstation (Respironics) series, which are the top two "latest & greatest" machine series.  The article was last updated in spring of 2017.   Not a lot has been released since then, unless it's a brand of machine that has a small market share.

Archangle is the one who maintains that article, so if you or anyone else find a machine that is left out of the article, post it here and I can refer him to your post and see if the article should be updated with new information.

I think generally, the article was written with the intension of including models that are relatively popular - there's always going to be machines that aren't used much (or older models) that the article won't address.  Also, it covers basic CPAP or auto-CPAP machines, not the more expensive bi-levels, ASVs or other specialized machines.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the prompt reply . I asked the provider, and they said they plan to give me the Airsense S10. From what I can tell this is an acceptable model.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2017, 04:14 PM)jdavis01 Wrote: Thanks for the prompt reply .  I asked the provider, and they said they plan to give me the Airsense S10.     From what I can tell this is an acceptable model.

Tell them you want the AirSense 10 AutoSet . It's a apap you can always run it as a cpap if need be. It also provides full data reporting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like all the Airsense models have reporting capability.

Not sure I'd be able to get the Apap model (insurance coverage) if the tests don't indicate the need.
Post Reply Post Reply
jdavis01, The cost to the insurance company is the same for APAP and CPAP. The DME wants you to have a CPAP because they make more money off of them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2017, 06:27 PM)jdavis01 Wrote: Looks like all the Airsense models have reporting capability.

Not sure I'd be able to get the Apap model  (insurance coverage)  if the tests don't indicate the need.

That's what the DME wants you to believe. The employees who work for the DME, and perhaps even the doctor, will have been told that it's true, that it's a policy followed by the DME, and that it's a necessary policy to comply with insurance regulations.

It may be a policy, but it's NOT required by the insurance companies. They just use that as an excuse!

Arm yourself with information. Call your insurance company, or visit their web site, and get a list of DME's and home health providers who are in their network. Be prepared to shop around for the best deal. If necessary, get your doctor to write a prescription for the machine you want. Strictly speaking that prescription is not necessary but some DME's may require it anyway as a matter of policy, especially the large bureaucracies that lack flexibility.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2017, 06:27 PM)jdavis01 Wrote: Looks like all the Airsense models have reporting capability.

Not sure I'd be able to get the Apap model  (insurance coverage)  if the tests don't indicate the need.

The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and Elite CPAP report full efficacy data.  The CPAP model only provides compliance data.  Don't accept the CPAP model.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
Alberta/BC Canada experience
Many Sleep Apnea Clinics (DME providers) in Alberta and British Columbia (provinces in Canada) offer free 3 week trials of CPAP devices.  Afterwards, you feel obligated to pay them what they ask for, because you assume that they are reasonable and are providing a fair market price.  They are NOT.

I don't have a problem with paying for an assessment and CPAP trial.  I do, however, have a problem with being manipulated into paying $1,600 more than online providers in Ontario . . . for the identical CPAP machine.

Before and during my 3 week trial I did a lot of research.  I purchased from an Ontario (province in Canada) online provider.  If you are technically inclined and computer/internet savvy, then you will not be disappointed.  If you're in Canada, you're better off shopping in Canada, because you have more recourse and fewer unanticipated costs.

As a result of my recent experiences, I posted on YouTube; search for "CPAP Price Scam".

An informed and aware consumer is always better off.

This Forum helps us stay informed, but only if we share.   Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 2 83 03-26-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.