Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Thanks for the tips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
Dont-know  Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see among the criteria for machine selection the availability of affordable battery options.  

Smile For years I had a unit that could run from 12VDC via the usual electronics barrel plug, which meant I could use anything from a car battery to gel cells to those wonderful lithium ion (LiPO) batteries that pack a lot of runtime into a compact lightweight easily rechargeable long-life package.  It was easy to run the CPAP from the battery fed from a charger; if the power went off in the night, I never knew it.

Thinking-about It didn't even occur to me that anyone would make such a health-critical device that wouldn't be easy to run from a battery in a pinch.  But the ResMed S9 makes it really hard and you have to plan and purchase well ahead.  It requires 24VDC so forget plugging it into the 12V accessory socket in your car.
  Oh-jeez But that's not the worst of it: what I find really egregious is that the S9 won't work with anything other than a ResMed brand power supply (they do a digital handshake that is impractical to imitate.)  If it weren't for this, you could run the S9 from a pair of generic 12V batteries with a $10 connector.  ResMed makes you spend $129 to do the same thing, and if you buy their LiPO batteries, you'll spend upwards of $2000 just to run for one night. 

Annoyed-and-disappointed  I'm not in a position to research all the brands and models and make a table of ps options and keep it up to date, or I would do it.  But the next time I'm in the market for a new machine, you can bet that among the units that are a good match for my needs, I'll be looking at the battery options.  

PS  like I am totally a fan of ApneaBoard and thank those who keep it going.  I recently sent another contribution and hope others will as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2017, 11:45 PM)cookedj Wrote: The more I read on this board, the more I learn.  After much troubles, the VA issued me a good Cpap (ResMed S9) but I have had a time getting the supplies.  Went to my PCP requesting supplies for the machine I have, and they are going to set me up with a brand new machine and supplies.  I told them I just needed supplies, but I guess we'll see what happens when they come out.  Thanks for all the good info!

I got my machine from the VA also in Orlando and it was a Resmed Air Sense 10 Auto Set.

Ive been using it for a month, im having some issues with leaking but have nothing to compare my data too.

Good luck to you

Semper Fi

Jarhead
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-15-2018, 07:30 PM)MadMonty Wrote: Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see among the criteria for machine selection the availability of affordable battery options.  

The Philips Respironics machines, including the current DreamStation and its predecessor the PRS1, run natively on 12 volts DC. It is not recommended, though, that you connect it directly to a battery without the proper surge protection and fuse. The cable that connects to a cigarette lighter socket costs about $20. An additional cable that costs about $25 is needed if you want to connect directly to battery terminals.

The ResMed DC adapter will allow you to run the 24-volt ResMed machines on a 12-volt battery. It costs about $70 US.
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Excited! Getting new (to me) cpap machine today after 20 years! MikeBear 46 1,390 01-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Corvette817
  Where is Your American Resmed Machine Made? Doza 17 480 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Medicare and CPAP machine purchase wjl408 6 234 01-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Missing BiPaP machine used by someone else per ResMed "MyAir" account moemoenui 9 317 01-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  What if Machine Assigned Wrong? Snorzz 14 346 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
Question Setting Target Va on iVAPS machine zzzZorro 11 228 01-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Last Post: zzzZorro
  Any risk to RedMed machine if I remove filter after a month and reinsert backwards? Shin Ryoku 8 264 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Last Post: ajack