Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
(03-21-2018, 07:12 PM)astraith Wrote: What is "Central or Mixed Apnea"? Is there a way to tell if I have that or not? I didn't know there were different types (if there is information about this on the forum ... just link it, I just couldn't find it)

Astraith, post a #Sleepyhead chart, and we can go over it. The terms we use like obstructive, central or mixed apnea are defined in the Wiki Definitions. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions  And lots more information in the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead .  Mixed apnea is often called complex apnrea and is someone that has both central and obstructive apnea.  Central and complex apnea often require an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV) for treatment rather than CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Cook, I'll have my VA "consult" appointment in two days. I believe that will result in a machine and peripherals. Sounds like they took good care of you with regard to the machine. I'm worried about your difficulty in getting the necessary supplies. Is that an inherent problem when using the VA? I ask only because I also have good private insurance and could go that route if I need to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only speak to the VA at Viera/Lake Nona and theyhave been wonderful in getting a machine and supplies.

Good Luck.

Jarhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tape, works well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure exactly what you're referring to there??
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I am lucky.  For at least 4 years I have seen the sleep clinic brochures in the mail.. I have seen their sign on the Medical Clinic.. I have walked past the receptionist inside the building.  And I have ignored my wife's complaints and concern about by noisy and violent sleep.  But in July I had a referral from my GP and with discount coupon in hand walked inside for my first meeting.  They were welcoming and calming telling me the sequence of steps we were going to take together.  At each step it was clear that I was in charge and they were there to help.  After my sleep study and meeting with their doctor the next step was trying a machine.  They told me to plan on spending around 1.5 hours in one of their rooms.  Each machine was presented with a brief description of the features.  Different masks and nasal pillows were introduced and then I was given a private room with a bed and allowed to take each for a test run.  This was at the end of the day and I was told I could stay late or come back another day.  NO PRESSURE!  I could rent any equipment for 30 days and the rental fee was 100% discounted upon purchase.  I could show up if I had questions or problems and they actually called 2 days in to see how it was going.   The machine was set up so I had some adjustment room to the min and max settings.  2 weeks in I purchased my machine.  I confessed to having the software so the tech recommended not paying the cell monitoring fee and to just send in my data on a regular basis for them to review!  This clinic is the easiest most professional office I have ever delt with.  If their prices were higher to cover overhead I would still stick with them but their prices are better than anything I have found on the internet.  Find a reliable concerned educted supplier and give them your trust.  Don't deal with people you don't trust or respect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting thread. I'm only about 70 days (nights) into all this CPAP stuff so far. 

It looks as if I was lucky. When I went to my DME provider, I was given the ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10. The respiratory therapist told me it was the same machine he uses. 

He walked me thru all the functions and how to operate it. He told me to call him if I had any further questions and/or concerns / issues. 

Never had to call, and it's been smooth sailing from the very start.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 05:35 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I was given the ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10.

By comparison to the poor way many of us have been treated by some of our providers, you are lucky. That's a great machine. Built to last.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2018, 10:57 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The ResMed DC adapter will allow you to run the 24-volt ResMed machines on a 12-volt battery. It costs about $70 US.

A cheaper alternative would be to connect two 12-volt batteries in series.

It also would be more efficient because the 12-to-24 volt converter consumes power.
Post Reply Post Reply
At first glance it looks like a cheaper alternative, but actually it doesn't work because the Resmed Air10 and S9 require a secret Masonic handshake on a third pin of the power connector, which you can find out about here on AB by doing a search for "secret masonic handshake" among other things. It has been discussed in the (many) threads about running the machines from batteries, either at home with a UPS setup or while camping.

There is a third-party equivalent of the Resmed DC-to-DC converter, but unfortunately it's about the same price, around US$70. It's made by Battery Power Solutions (BPS) and is somewhat more versatile than the Resmed part. Amazon search string: "battery power solutions 24v power converter for air 10/s9 series". Both that and the Resmed item can take either 12V or 24V as input and put out 24V with the secret signal. The BPS can also be used with non-Resmed devices that want 24VDC, ignoring the secret signal by using a different cable from the converter box.

It's only a minor one-time expense. It's worth putting up with that connector conspiracy to get the benefits of the Resmed machine, compared to any other.

The conversion inefficiency is a consideration. Whatever batteries are used should be over-spec'd to take that into account. There's a Resmed battery guide at: https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 4 65 Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Hauty
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 197 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 5 301 04-14-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: pamm777
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 315 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 154 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 3 174 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Arik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.