Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Bipap-CPAP Machine Choices -
I currently have a BiPAP machine with code e48. Respironics BiPAP auto. It’s old and I need suggestions on what to purchase. My pressure setting was/is 23. I don’t have insurance so I would be self paying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Someone in Boardman Ohio is selling a current model Resmed Vauto on Craigslist. It showed up when I looked today. There are good machines available through Craigslist, Offerup and other markets if you know what to look for. The current models are
Philips Respironics Dreamstaton BiPAP Auto (System One machines are older but still acceptable).
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (Older Resmed S9 VPAP Auto is fine).

If you want to buy new, open box or used or with a warranty, check Supplier #2 and Supplier #33 in our supplier list.

To get your machine setup, we should figure out what your actual pressure settings are. An Auto BiPAP usually has at least an EPAP pressure and IPAP pressure. It may be to a range and use pressure support (the difference between inhale and exhale pressure). If you get a current machine, we can help you get it dialed in using the data that is written to the SD card in either of those machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. I will look into these suppliers. I Definitely want to purchase a current machine, and knowing someone can help me set it up eases my mind. Thank you sleep rider
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2019, 09:04 PM)Mblackburn17 Wrote: Thank you so much. I will look into these suppliers. I Definitely want to purchase a current machine, and knowing someone can help me set it up eases my mind. Thank you sleep rider

What’s the difference between cpap and bipap? I was told it has to do with the amount of pressure I needed ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2019, 09:27 PM)Mblackburn17 Wrote: What’s the difference between cpap and bipap? I was told it has to do with the amount of pressure I needed ?

A CPAP won't deliver a pressure greater than 20, so that is part of the difference.

A BiPAP will also allow you to set a lower exhale pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello SuperSleeper,

I just found your website today and I'm glad I did. I'm just about to request a new CPAP machine from the DME supplier, and I discovered from the "Machine choices" article that my ResMed S9 Escape, which I have been using for 5 years, is not recommended. It is no longer doing the job. I look forward to using a new machine that will provide data to show how it is working.

My CPAP is covered by Medicare. It looks like I should try to get a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, or maybe a Dreamstation Auto.

Question: Do you think the Airsense 10 Autoset is appreciably better than the S9 Autoset? (In case they want to give me an S9) Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Larry, just sent the manual to you...

Personally, if I had a choice, I'd try to get a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset.  The DreamStation Autos are good also, but would be my second choice.  It's sort of like Oldsmobile vs. Cadillac - both good, but I'd prefer the Cadillac.   Bigwink   There are a ton of threads on Apnea Board comparing the two if you use the search options.

I'd do what you can to get the AirSense 10 if it's not too much trouble.  I do think it would be worth extra effort to obtain one.  If you like, ask your sleep doctor to write a specific script for the AirSense 10 Autoset, and put "do not substitute" on the script also, so any DME would have to fill it as-written.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2019, 07:55 PM)caminolarry Wrote: Question: Do you think the Airsense 10 Autoset is appreciably better than the S9 Autoset? (In case they want to give me an S9) Any advice will be appreciated.

Do not accept the older outdated S9. Very doubtful they'd try to sell you one, anyway.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
The algorithm s are different for different brands. stick with ResMed and AutoSet is best anyway IMHO
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 5 122 Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 329 Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 201 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 178 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 319 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 159 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 3 178 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Arik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.