Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
(03-19-2020, 12:51 PM)Benign Wrote: Will only new machines have zero blower hours?
Can the DME reset a used machine to show zero hours?

These questions are hard to answer because the manufacturers keep the answers a secret.

Quote:The Philips Respironics DreamStation setup mode has a Device / Reset Data option.  Can that or some other hidden configuration option reset the blower hours to zero? 

No, I don't think so. Resetting the machine erases data collected by presumably the former patient, but it doesn't reset the number of blower hours.

DME's have access to proprietary cables and software that allow them to do things like set the time and update the firmware. But they are not available to patients, and they may not even be available to all DME's.

One of the things we wonder about is if it's possible to take a low-priced CPAP machine that records only limited data and turn it into a high-priced BiPAP. If so, that would explain why they keep the cables and software needed to do firmware updates difficult to obtain.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Minor question - I understand the difference between the Resmed "Autoset" and "Autoset for her" machines, but I am wondering if any of the autoset machines can be set to either his or her modes, or if there is an actual difference aside from cosmetics like what color it is? Thinking-about 

My GF's Resmed Autoset 10 machine, which is a few years old, has a brown wood grain case and is marked as an autoset, which is different from the black (his) or white (hers) cases that I've seen in the videos.  It does have a setting in the menus for the 'Autoset for her' mode.  

I am curious as to whether all the Autoset machines will have this option?

I am wondering in case I should ever be looking at getting a used machine as a backup, as it would increase the options if any autoset machine would work in both modes... (Does it make any sense to do this for CPAPS?  I know it is VERY much worth while for my power chairs....)

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The autoset for her can be set in the "for her" mode or in the regular mode. The autoset can only operate in the regular mode.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are Autoset standard and Autoset For Her macines, and the only difference is the for her algorithm. I'm still not sure who benefits from that and find all Autosets generally work better than anything else. I look at the For Her option as mostly a comfort option. If you like it use it. If you can get it at no additioal cost, why not? I don't think it's a game-changer in therapy. I have never heard of or seen any Autoset in a wood-grain finish. That's a first for me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
The wood grain was one of several skins offered by a 3rd party.  The last time I heard mention of these skins was about a year ago. A quick search came back with, "RESPLABS CPAPWRAPS". There is a wood grain example on amazon that is listed as, "No Longer Available".

Edit: I found the link, http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-your-cpap
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a machine that is perhaps "best" or most inclusive at giving Oscar data.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset seems to produce the most useful data and is the better option for therapy as well.

Please read the OSCAR Supported Machines Wiki for more details http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...d_machines
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I ran into a shady place the first time I got a CPAP.  Prescription said S9 Autoset DAW.  Guy gave me one of the junkier ones with hardly no data.  When I discovered it and called, he said that my insurance wouldn't pay for it.  My sleep dr called and had him on speakerphone, and he told her sorry, it was his mistake, and he would get a new machine ready for me.  When I arrived, I was told the same story..my insurance wouldn't pay for a better machine, which was ridiculous because I had great insurance.  I returned the machine and went through a new medical supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my first cpap 8/13/2020 after an at home sleep study showed 12ahi. Dr’s office called and asked which DME to send the script to. I had no experience or clue and knew there was a DME directly across the street from the sleep study lab so used them. Upon pickup I was nervous about the mask, cleaning, filter schedules and had not found this or any other site or met with Doc to review sleep study yet so yep I took what I was presented with - Phillips Dreamstation Auto which when I got it home was not even programmed to give me my ahi every morning. NOTHING was said about the Phillips software and blue link to my phone app which also was not turned on! When I called about this I was told:

1) as the machine was technically a rental only the DME could access data and
2) it was implied that it was a violation of law for me to change settings.
I pushed and the Bluetooth was finally enabled (2 nights later) by modem remote and I instantly saw my ahi while dropping to 1.0 the first night was after a week already back to 6 per night.

Finally saw the doc after 10 days and described feeling of suffocation during ramp time and showed him my phone data - he ordered the 5-20 setting to a set 8 and told me to go online and find the YouTube videos to access the clinical screens, turn off ramp and adjust it myself after calling his office with data updates for future tweaks. It took another three days for his 8 to take effect - found out later it went as a new script to DME and they ONLY Reset min pressure to 8 and did not turn off ramp. Discovered the tamp was still on at 4am On the last day of my two week “trial” when a bathroom trip caused me to restart. Called DME to leave voicemail that I wanted clinical access ( still afraid a bit of YouTube videos) by 10 am or they would get machine returned - Got the after hours oxygen guy who again repeated implied it was against the law for a patient to access the clinical settings. Sent emails to RRT and store manager repeating info by 10 am or they were getting a machine I was otherwise happy with back. Finally responded at 1010 as I was on my way to return the unit but it went to my voicemail as I live in a very rural area and had no service. I have that recording as again it implied it was illegal for the patient to control or access the Settings. On the way I called new DME who advised showing me all the features including how to adjust settings was part of their setup, contacted my insurance to make sure I could switch machines and DME as I was still within 2 week trial - only to find the ins co could care less until ten months after they began paying at which point it is Considered purchased not rented and had my doc send the script, as updated to new DME so machine could be obtained.

Wish I would have been here BEFORE Any Of this but glad I’m here now. In the two week lead time to the new machine I have continued to use a Rested s9 machine inherited From my oldest brother upon his passing. So I know my ahi is now averaging 1.5 over the past 9 nights and I will get the new Dreamstation APAP this coming Thirsday. Now I see the Resmed Autosense 10 is the experts preference but I liked the screen on the Phillips and after finally watching the YouTube videos still find the dreamstation menu much more intuitive for me. I look forward to starting my thread with my data after I get the new machine. I wanted to share my DME nightmare- why supply a machine capable of so much and NOT turn on its features? An app is a minimum in this day and age! Glad my doc snorted at their threats of illegality and really glad I was not bullied into staying with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am switching out my 4.5yrs Dreamstation for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset that was on Black Friday Sale with Supplier #14. Waited a very long time for this....

Quick question, can the same SD card be used and sleep data kept intact from 2016? Or do I need to reformat for the Resmed and start over?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 4 84 Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Hauty
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 199 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 5 302 04-14-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: pamm777
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 156 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 3 175 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Arik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.