Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
@Starfishtmk,

Unfortunately you refused the right machine. If your Central Apnea/CA events were high enough that your doctor recommends ASV, which in most cases is very hard to get them to do this, it signifies your need for an ASV is very very obvious.

The ASV has the backup rate required to treat CA. I suggest calling the DME back and telling them you've changed your mind and want the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dave and Gideon. I called the DME provider today and will go back next week to pick up the ASV  machine. I very much appreciate your explanations. It puzzles me why the medical community seems to be so at odds with their information. Thanks for your help. Have a nice holiday. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2021, 10:35 AM)Starfishtmk Wrote: When I got there, the technician said in her training, she was taught that Complex sleep apnea required a machine with a “back up rate”. She said the blowing air alone would not force me to breathe when I stop. I have been waiting 10 months with NO MACHINE to get correct one for my new diagnosis. So I refused the Resmed ASV, hoping to research to find what I really need. My doc office was really angry that technician told me that. Doc office said I do not need a backup rate.

You might point it out to the tech and your doc that the AirCurve 10 ASV has BOTH a calculated backup rate AND a default backup rate of 15 BPM (pg 4-5 of the clinical guide)

Quote:ASV  mode

In ASV  mode,  the  expiratory  positive  airway  pressure  (EPAP)  is  fixed  and  can be  manually  adjusted to eliminate obstructive  events.  The Pressure  Support  (PS)  varies  between the Min  PS  and  the Max PS  to  answer  to the patient's  need.  Mandatory  breaths  are delivered at  the patient’s  recent spontaneous  breath rate,  ie,  the timed backup rate is automatically  calculated to  match the patient’s needs  and  is  applied appropriately  in  the  case  of  an  event.

Quote:Backup  rate
The AirCurve 10 ASV device  uses  breath  phase  mapping to provide  a  timed backup  rate that  is  synchronized  with the patient’s  own breathing.  When  the patient  deviates  from  the ventilatory  target,  the  ASV device  aims  to  stabilize  the patient  by  adjusting  Pressure Support.  If  necessary,  it  will  adjust  the timed  backup rate  from  one  that  matches  the patient’s  own recent rate  towards  the built-in default  15  BPM  backup  rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Sounds pretty sophisticated. I guess the tech I was dealing with needs a little more schooling in this machine. I can’t imagine where you found this information, Grumpy (I’ll bet you’re not really grumpy) but I am so glad you shared it with me!❤️
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2021, 08:30 PM)Starfishtmk Wrote: I can’t imagine where you found this information.

It's in the clinical guide for the AirCurve 10 ASV.

It has info you'd want to read.

Request it via the instructions below:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Good luck on this journey,  for some people the ASV takes a while to acclimate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a substitute machine Luna 3B.  Because of supply chain issues!  Anyone else experiencing this?  Not many instructions so I hope I’m using it correctly
Post Reply Post Reply
You can order a Clinicians Manual for the Luna 3B here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Go to Section Three , Other Manuals.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are seeing more of the Chinese BMC (Luna) and Resvent machines being issued recently. We can only encourage you to resist accepting these machines which will not provide good therapy data and feedback for optimizing therapy. The Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset remains the best possible machine to be dispensed today.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a CPAP machine for some 15 years and am on only my second machine.  My first was a F&P which lasted forever.  This was replaced with a Airsense 10 CPAP just under five years ago.  Our government pays for one machine every five years (new rule as of September 2017) with a co-pay of $500 but we are limited to one of two "authorized" DMEs.

My Airsense 10 CPAP died a few weeks ago and I am awaiting a (hopefully) replacement and thankfully have a friends barely used 12 year old (non-recalled) Resperonics.  My pressure is 6 (after retest) so pretty minor.

Been talking with the DME and the government won't pay for any APAPs, but due to all the shortages, the DME is providing them and setting a constant pressure.  

After reading the forum I have asked the DME a lot of questions, and they have been great in providing answers.  Looks like an Airsense 11 APAP will be the new machine in the next few months once the DME gets to my position on the wait list.

I have been using Oscar for a while, and look forward to seeing a little more information like AHI and Total Time in Apnea which I check on MyAir but I have been wanting to stop sending my data to the government sleep centre.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.