Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
Why is BIPAP good for UARS? Does that include mild apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
BiLevels have a greater range for the amount of Pressure Support (EPR) that can be applied. CPAPs are limited to 1,2, or 3 cmw difference. Also it can be applied in smaller increments, 0.2 vs 1.0, for fine tuning.

Bilevels are good for all obstructive apnea, I including mild.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been told by my clinic to try a German made device. I wonder if this will make a difference to energy levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kevinjones 54!  -  Welcome
This is the first time I have ever heard of this.  I would ask them to elaborate on what the differences are.  If they do, please post it here. . .
Inquiring minds want to know!  Smile

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is called Lowenstein?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was referring to why it makes a difference.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Lowenstein (aka Weinmann) Prisma Smart. They're much more common over here in 220v land and gaining recognition overall because in empirical testing they were only of the only manufacturers on the market whose machines actually responded well to bench testing simulated events. As in actually hooking the hoses up to a fake "patient" that mechanically simulated various scenarios. Their design of having the motor run at constant speed and adjusting pressure mechanically using other means also allows for a faster reaction, although personally I still find it never quite lines up with my actual breathing cycle.

The downside is Oscar can't read their data and they lock down their proprietary software. Even though it's available here I was never able to get it working myself. They DO offer an online site that lets you get an extremely simplified readout, giving you a basic timeline of obstructive vs central events and some general statistics, but it's nothing close to what the techs can read with the real software or Oscar could give you.

I've got other minor gripes but they're off topic. Blazingly bright automatic display that can't be dimmed or disabled, humidifier has tons of nooks and corners that are obnoxiously hard to clean, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jay Belmont - OSCAR may be in your future. Recent developments from several OSCAR contributors has provided more support to the Prisma models. Since this is still under construction, I can not provide a release date. I thought I would give you something to hope for. Big Grin

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I got the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, didn't got an opportunity to choice it tho, maybe is different by country I suppose, but here seems like they choice all and don't let us decide on anything.

Still for what I been reading seems like is a good machine, so hopefully I can get to find the config that work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got lucky and got a resmed 11 from the hospital affiliated dme. Having read here I was ready to argue but glad I didn't have to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 167 8 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 5 295 04-14-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: pamm777
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 150 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 297 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 145 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 3 172 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Arik
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.