Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Release Cycles
CPAP Machine Release Cycles
Does anyone have a list or follow the release cycles for CPAP machines? I am thinking about getting new machine, and would wait a little while if we are due to receive a new release from a manufacturer. I am particularly interested in the potential release of a new machine from ResMed, but in general this is a thought provoking topic.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machine Release Cycles
Hi DevChuck,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
We know that Phillips-Respironics recently released the new DreamStation. That resulted in deep discounts on the previous generation machine.
With ResMed, it's hard to say. The 10 series has been out for a couple of years. It's popular with some minor bugs. Some tanks leak; and some machines were noisy.

One has to keep in mind that the manufacturers do not see the end user as their customer; to them, their customers are the dispensing equipment suppliers. Those dispensers do not like to be stuck with an inventory of last generation machines. IMHO: ResMed is secretive about new products.

In my near half century career in National Security, I worked for private industry only 13 months. I felt that company kept their R&D and trade secrets to a higher standard than the US DoD.

If anyone knows of a new product release from ResMed, they probably will not disclose it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
What? Mongo, you haven't seen the AirCents S-12 Autoset Bi-Serv photos leaked last week? I hear it has a lazy Susan base so it can turn.

Plain skipping the AirCents 11. I hear they thought "if M$ can fool the public by releasing version 9 and calling it version 10, we can too!"

Seriously, if you assume a four year product refresh cycle, you're maybe half way thorugh on ResMed and a quarter way through on the Respironics. Devillbiss released their next version product a few months back.

But at this point, I don't think you are seeing big leaps in product advancements with the latest wave of "upgrades" like you did say 5-10 years back when you had big advances in data collection and reporting as well as working out good Al Gore Rhythms for the auto machines. Those were big advancements and most of what you see now are only incremental or cosmetic. And not always changes for the better. Heck, last week or so, I have used an S-8 Autoset II !!! It is a dedicated travel machine from two machine generations ago and I got it because none of the more current machines can match it for travel features (except for maybe the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto but that's now a generation back).

If you need a machine, don't worry about what is coming from manufactureers in six months or six years. Buy now. Heck, I recently bought and I bought the last gen machine because I think it is better than current offerings (WRT certain features I value).

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 01:07 PM)DevChuck Wrote: Does anyone have a list or follow the release cycles for CPAP machines? I am thinking about getting new machine, and would wait a little while if we are due to receive a new release from a manufacturer. I am particularly interested in the potential release of a new machine from ResMed, but in general this is a thought provoking topic.

The last major advance in the technology was the S9. So, you could get either an S9 auto or an Airsense Auto which use the same algorithm. The Airsense tracks RERAs which the S9 does not. The Airsense Auto For Her has an additional algorithm which may or may not be helpful to you. The Airsense was released last year while the S9 has been out for about 6 years. Just make sure the model you get works with Sleepyhead.

Resmed just came out with another series at the end of September but they are just bricks and not worth your money unless, I suppose, you are looking for a machine to take on vacation with a warranty and don't care about data.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are trying to avoid the Osborne effect, among other things. Osborne was a computer company that announced a new computer way to early, their customers decided to wait for the new model and Osborne went out of business because they did not have enough sales to support the effort of bringing the new computer to market. OOPS.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 627 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,739 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.