Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine 'kick' to breathe??
Machine 'kick' to breathe??
Reaching the 'forgetful' years....   I seem to recall hearing about a CPAP machine which would give several quick puffs in rapid sequence if it detected an apnea longer than a preset period. This was supposed to give the user a 'kick' to take a breath without waking him/her. Has anybody heard of this? Guess I could be imagining it....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine 'kick' to breathe??
That is the premis of a backup rate. On a timed basis, longer than your normal breathing interval, Pressure Support will be introduced in an attempt to maintain breathing volume.
The best at this is the ASV with a same breath evaluation and variable PS. The ASV is targeted at users with central/mixed/comples apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Respironics 560 gave little spurts of pressure when nothing much was happening. I jokinglysaid it when it got bored of going along in a mostly straight line--regular surges trying to find something to fix. It didn't bother me--I know some people had problems with that feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those pulses are phillips way of seeing if you need more pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour-

So the pulses are not a 'reminder' to breathe in the case of a central apnea but rather part of the sensing algorithm of the machine?

beast
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2020, 10:57 AM)beast Wrote: Bonjour-

So the pulses are not a 'reminder' to breathe in the case of a central apnea but rather part of the sensing algorithm of the machine?

beast

I thought it was sort of like "Red October" One Ping, One Ping only. To sense if there are any possible obstructions to aid in determining the proper response to incoming data.
Post Reply Post Reply
A nuc sub would never use active sonar while on patrol. Their ace was in being 'undetectable" and a single ping means here I am, right exactly here, if you want to, shoot me now, because you now know exactly where I am.
Post Reply Post Reply
ping...BOOM! What sub?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Launching was an even bigger give away. We figured if we needed to actually launch we likely would not be returning, the other question was what would be returning to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2020, 03:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: A nuc sub would never use active sonar while on patrol.  Their ace was in being 'undetectable" and a single ping means here I am, right exactly here, if you want to, shoot me now, because you now know exactly where I am.

"Chicken of the Sea, We Hide with Pride". Sure had dramatic effects in the movie though. I was trying to convey the thought that rather than inflate an airway, the pulse of air was to detect obstructions just as TDR "Time Domaine Reflectometry" is utilized to detect faults in cabling.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,289 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 295 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,979 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,243 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,078 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 318 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 1,022 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.