Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine trouble
Machine trouble
Oh-jeez
I connected my CPAP to a battery charger and I think that I fried the circuits. It is now totally dead when plugged in.
I have been thinking of replacing the circuit board, it opens easily enough, but I don't know if the new board will work.

The board itself says
1000 5554
0911 01
E000 154164

Any ideas on where to find one? BTW I checked and there were no fuses I could have blown.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine trouble
The machine will work off of a 12 volt battery, however a battery charger actually provides higher voltage and will attempt to feed higher current (amps) than your machine requires. What battery charger did you use? I'd ask why, but that would just be mean. Smile

What model is your machine? Look for the 3-digit number on the bottom i.e. 560P
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was some generic charger, trying to recharge the battery at the same time as operate the CPAP in a hotel.

The number on the bottom is 550P.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I would not want to be mean either, but your cpap does not run off of a battery. So why did you try to charge it up?

If you're thinking the black thing in between the power outlet and the machine is a battery, no, it's actually what we lovingly refer to as a power "brick." It is very possible that you killed the power brick and not your machine.

I would take it to visit any DME supplier, yours or anyone else's, and ask them if they would test it out on a different power brick. You might be good to go by just buying a new power supply. (I mean brick.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I was running it off a deep-charge battery, which would give me about 2 nights use if it was completely charged. I tried charging it off of the car while camping, but it took a long time with the car in Park.

The power transformer was not connected when this happened, only the battery connector (to the charger) and the battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, do you see something like 10 amps on the charger? If this is a high amp charger, I think it would have put a high current through the battery, needed for faster charging of large capacity deep cycle batteries, but your machine would also have had this high amperage. The maximum safe current for that machine is about 6 amps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stay tuned, I have asked an authorized repair manager if there is an internal fuse to that would be repairable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Try another known good adapter first.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think that the charger ran more than 2 amps, I intended a slow, overnight, charge for camping the next night.
Thanks, I think I can find a site with a working power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NotImorg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck getting your CPAP machine working.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 203 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,863 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 696 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.