Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine trouble
RE: Machine trouble
Thanks, Trish
Post Reply Post Reply
I spoke with Ian who runs Accurate Biomed services. He was not optimistic about the prospects for your machine.

Quote:First off, there is no internal fuse so the unit took a shot.

The board is probably fried. The power supply is also probably fried. If that happened to be the extent of the damage, the repair would be in the 300 dollar range. The problem is if the entire circuit (past the board) was damaged it could get pretty pricey.

I wish I had better news. If you need to discuss further, please let me know and we can see what options might be available.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assumed that this might be the case. A local durable goods store told me that my out-of-pocket would be $1800 to replace the machine. A few hundred dollars seems a cheap way out. I took it apart and there are no apparent burned parts, but the board looks easy to replace. Now I just need to find a place to buy one.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to checkout supplier number 2 second wind cpap. They have used machines available for $359 just like yours as well as a variety of others.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2015, 02:10 PM)NotImorg Wrote: I assumed that this might be the case. A local durable goods store told me that my out-of-pocket would be $1800 to replace the machine. A few hundred dollars seems a cheap way out. I took it apart and there are no apparent burned parts, but the board looks easy to replace. Now I just need to find a place to buy one.

Let me know where you're located and I will try to get some ideas for you. Feel free to reply by PM if you'd rather not post that.

An out of pocket of $1800 is more than the replacement cost of that machine through Supplier #1. A brand new 60 Series Auto with heated hose would be about half that amount. Ridiculous! You will need a copy of a prescription for a CPAP of any kind in order to buy through that channel. Remember you are looking for the new 60 Series Pro or Auto. (DS460, DS560) with heated tube humidifier. The older DS450/550 would be considerably less money.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, the repair source I referenced earlier (Supplier #27) also sell reconditioned units. If you choose to pursue repair or a reconditioned unit, that would be a good honest, low-cost source.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help. I am still debating just replacing the circuit board vs a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Always disconnect the machine when recharging the battery.
I've found the best lead-acid charger/tender for 12V flooded or AGM batteries is the Deltran Battery Tender which can push 5 Amps. It never exceeds 12.7 Volts which is the gassing Voltage for 6 lead-acid cells in series.

Many older chargers are nothing more that a transformer and rectifier providing as much as 17 Volts in spikes of the form:
V=|17sin(120πt)|

Trash the PAP unit and replace.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am gathering how dangerous the power supply is. The question still remains: Can I buy a circuit board and just replace it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 01:25 PM)NotImorg Wrote: The question still remains: Can I buy a circuit board and just replace it?

I don't know.

But I would bet that you are not going to be able to just call up Respironics and order a mainboard. Couple of problems there from their standpoint. If the board is replaced, chances are, it will think it is a new machine. With -0- hours on the blower, which depending on how long you've had it may vastly understate the age and usage history of the unit. Numero two-o is that I am betting that Respironics wants no part in having un-documented technicians rooting around inside a case so they may have some lingering liahillbilly if something beyond their control doesn't go quite right or something tanks three months down the road. I know for a fact that the other CPAP guys, Resmed, will not even sell replacement parts to trained, commercial repair folks.

As a compulsive tinkerer, I know, I know...

Don't know where you are, but I have found Craigslist in my location to have some jewels from time to time. I've found the following - a 12 hour DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto, a 0.6 hour Respironics 560, and a 60 hour HDM Z1 local and never more than half what a new machine would cost. Sometimes WAY less (I think when I found the Intellipap it was like $125.

Then again, that may be a good way if you are hellbent to just replace the board - if your machine has low blower hours and you can get the same model with high blower hours used, for cheap. Would seem that the blower is what is really subject to wear over time... I don't know for sure.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 204 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,865 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 696 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 878 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.