Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on
Machine turning self off and back on
I have a three year old Respironics RemStar Pro C-Flex+ System One. Lately it will shut off by itself (which wakes you up) then turn itself back on. It is still putting out air and working but it will shut off and back three or four times a night. It is very annoying and has just started doing this.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the solution. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me. Roy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine turning self off and back on
Sorry, I don,t use your machine, just throwing few troubleshoot ideas

Any beeps alert or message on the screen
Are you using Auto off/Auto on feature, pets in the bedroom, power surges, have you tried different power outlet

Try the obvious, unplug & plug the machine,
check the power cord for wear & tear signs and properly plugged-in in wall power outlet and in the machine

Post Reply Post Reply
My first System One BiPAP had this problem. I called the DME and reported it and told them that I didn't trust the machine to stay on throughout the night even though Auto OFF was turned OFF.

The machine was only a few months old and they replaced it under warranty.

It's worth calling your DME and seeing the machine can be replaced under warranty if the machine is still relatively new.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rstroudmsdwc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-11-2014, 11:42 PM)rstroudmsdwc Wrote: I have a three year old Respironics RemStar Pro C-Flex+ System One. Lately it will shut off by itself (which wakes you up) then turn itself back on. It is still putting out air and working but it will shut off and back three or four times a night. It is very annoying and has just started doing this.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the solution. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me. Roy

Thanks. I will check the auto off and make sure it is set to not turn itself off and see if it still does it. I will also try a different power outlet.

Thanks. Roy
(04-12-2014, 08:04 AM)robysue Wrote: My first System One BiPAP had this problem. I called the DME and reported it and told them that I didn't trust the machine to stay on throughout the night even though Auto OFF was turned OFF.

The machine was only a few months old and they replaced it under warranty.

It's worth calling your DME and seeing the machine can be replaced under warranty if the machine is still relatively new.

Thanks, I will call them but I doubt that they will do anything as it is 3 years old. Thanks though. Roy
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 01:44 AM)zonk Wrote: Sorry, I don,t use your machine, just throwing few troubleshoot ideas

Any beeps alert or message on the screen
Are you using Auto off/Auto on feature, pets in the bedroom, power surges, have you tried different power outlet

Try the obvious, unplug & plug the machine,
check the power cord for wear & tear signs and properly plugged-in in wall power outlet and in the machine

I unplugged, used different outlet, made sure the auto off was turned off, and it shut off three times last night. Fourth time, it shut off, and started this continuous beeping and wouldn't stop until I unplugged the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2014, 03:57 PM)rstroudmsdwc Wrote: I unplugged, used different outlet, made sure the auto off was turned off, and it shut off three times last night. Fourth time, it shut off, and started this continuous beeping and wouldn't stop until I unplugged the machine.

That's not good news. Defective... now, to repair or replace?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
One of my PRS1 machines had a squirrelly power jack on the back. If wiggled it would shut off.

It's also possible it's the external power brick. About all you can do about that is check the connections, wiggle the cords, and be sure it's got good airflow around it and it isn't overheating. Or replace the power brick.

Unfortunately, your problem doesn't sound like one of these.

Sometimes you can find a replacement or backup machine on Craigslist.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also feel this is a power brick problem. It's likely the brick is providing just enough power to keep things working, but occasionally flakes out causing the machine to shutdown. After it shuts down it realizes it has enough power again and fires back up. Rinse and repeat several times. Most machines are configured to restart automatically in case of a power blip so the patient doesn't have to bother restarting the system in situations were power is not as reliable.

I'm assuming you're using your humidifier. If you can tolerate it, disable you're heated humidifier for the night and see if it stays on throughout the night. If it does, then that likely confirms the problem. It's possible there is just a bad connection somewhere along the line too. If you test the system, do it with the heated humidifier on full blast to put the biggest power demand on the system and jiggle the wire and connection along the entire length.

I would think your provider would be able to get you a replacement power supply since that's inexpensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 12:32 PM)snowboardjoe Wrote: I also feel this is a power brick problem. It's likely the brick is providing just enough power to keep things working, but occasionally flakes out causing the machine to shutdown. After it shuts down it realizes it has enough power again and fires back up. Rinse and repeat several times. Most machines are configured to restart automatically in case of a power blip so the patient doesn't have to bother restarting the system in situations were power is not as reliable.

I'm assuming you're using your humidifier. If you can tolerate it, disable you're heated humidifier for the night and see if it stays on throughout the night. If it does, then that likely confirms the problem. It's possible there is just a bad connection somewhere along the line too. If you test the system, do it with the heated humidifier on full blast to put the biggest power demand on the system and jiggle the wire and connection along the entire length.

I would think your provider would be able to get you a replacement power supply since that's inexpensive.

Thank you. That gives me some things to check. I appreciate that. Roy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 70 4,432 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 493 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 902 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 374 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 282 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 524 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 227 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.