Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on
RE: Machine turning self off and back on
I replied in the other thread. The most common reason for this failure is when the flow sensor in the upper-right corner of the main board fails to detect breathing. This was fixed in later generation Respironics machines (Series 60) by adding a screw to the main-board to maintain contact of the sensor with the breathing circuit. The 550 can be repaired by adding a #8 X 1/2 sheet metal screw with a plastic washer to the empty mounting hole about 1-inch down from the upper right corner of the main-board to hold it down. The 60 series has a screw in this location.

[Image: Jfu8x.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider, could you please clarify which hole you're referring to (i.e. mark it on the photo) ?. I think I know which one you mean, but don't want to make a wrong assumption.

I appreciate the information and realize I probably just jostled the rubber gasket back into place during my assembly/disassembly getting at the motor/blower. Some of the plastic screw bosses on the lower side of my blower assembly were cracked, but I'm pretty sure that was self inflicted. I bought the CPAP used from Craigslist and while the unit didn't have many hours on it, it accumulated the smells of wet dog and cigarette smoke. Needless to say, I did a complete teardown (as carefully as I could) cleaning every surface with vinegar & water -- probably over-torqued the screws when I reassembled it a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing this information!

DRC
Post Reply Post Reply
See the Service manual available from the forum. The screw location is shown in the attachment below. For odor, try Ozium. Spray cotton ball, place it near the inlet and let the machine run 20 minutes. It won't ever be there again. Also note there are 2 silicone seals in the humidifier dry box where the blower exhausts into the humidifier, and one silicone seal on the humidifier lid. These need replaced if you have smoke or other stubborn odor problems. They are available from Supplier #1.

[Image: screw_zpsfqjtani3.jpg]

This is what is on the back-side of that screw:

[Image: th011.jpg]

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2016, 05:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: See the Service manual available from the forum.

Just for reference, members can read about how to get to the service manuals in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Only-FILES

Which reminds me, I think I've got some more to upload to that page. Thinking-about

EDIT:
Page updated with a bunch of new service manuals... see here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid178176
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you (belatedly) for the great information! Unfortunately in my case, I'm not sure it is the only problem. I did put a screw into the place you're showing and after disassembly/reassembly things seem to work OK for awhile, but sooner or later the cut-out problem shows up again. I do travel with my CPAP and that probably aggravates the situation.

Maybe in my previous attempts to fix the problem I caused some other issue -- will have a look at the service manual. I really love the auto unit and would like to keep using it. In the meantime I'm back to my old Bipap S/T machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give you a gigantic thank you for the info! First time my machine has run through the night in quite a long time. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2016, 08:31 AM)Toofattosleep Wrote: I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give you a gigantic thank you for the info! First time my machine has run through the night in quite a long time. Thanks again!

It's great to hear new members are finding these results, and they continue to be useful. We rarely hear about this. Thanks back at-cha.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 70 4,425 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 492 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 901 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 374 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 282 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 524 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 227 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.