Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on
RE: Machine turning self off and back on
(04-15-2014, 12:32 PM)snowboardjoe Wrote: I also feel this is a power brick problem. It's likely the brick is providing just enough power to keep things working, but occasionally flakes out causing the machine to shutdown. After it shuts down it realizes it has enough power again and fires back up. Rinse and repeat several times. Most machines are configured to restart automatically in case of a power blip so the patient doesn't have to bother restarting the system in situations were power is not as reliable.

I'm assuming you're using your humidifier. If you can tolerate it, disable you're heated humidifier for the night and see if it stays on throughout the night. If it does, then that likely confirms the problem. It's possible there is just a bad connection somewhere along the line too. If you test the system, do it with the heated humidifier on full blast to put the biggest power demand on the system and jiggle the wire and connection along the entire length.

I would think your provider would be able to get you a replacement power supply since that's inexpensive.
Hi snowboardjoe,
I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but I wanted to take this opportunity to say
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 06:00 PM)archangle Wrote: One of my PRS1 machines had a squirrelly power jack on the back. If wiggled it would shut off.

It's also possible it's the external power brick. About all you can do about that is check the connections, wiggle the cords, and be sure it's got good airflow around it and it isn't overheating. Or replace the power brick.

Unfortunately, your problem doesn't sound like one of these.

Sometimes you can find a replacement or backup machine on Craigslist.

I put another power cord/brick on it and it did the same thing. Thanks for responding though as we have eliminated that as the problem.
(04-15-2014, 10:07 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 12:32 PM)snowboardjoe Wrote: I also feel this is a power brick problem. It's likely the brick is providing just enough power to keep things working, but occasionally flakes out causing the machine to shutdown. After it shuts down it realizes it has enough power again and fires back up. Rinse and repeat several times. Most machines are configured to restart automatically in case of a power blip so the patient doesn't have to bother restarting the system in situations were power is not as reliable.

I'm assuming you're using your humidifier. If you can tolerate it, disable you're heated humidifier for the night and see if it stays on throughout the night. If it does, then that likely confirms the problem. It's possible there is just a bad connection somewhere along the line too. If you test the system, do it with the heated humidifier on full blast to put the biggest power demand on the system and jiggle the wire and connection along the entire length.

I would think your provider would be able to get you a replacement power supply since that's inexpensive.
Hi snowboardjoe,
I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but I wanted to take this opportunity to say
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Replaced power cord/brick and it did the same thing. Thanks though as we have eliminated that as the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds as though the Auto-Start/Stop is activating causing the problem. Even though you show it as off, the firmware might think it's still on. It's most likely a board or firmware issue.

What are your leaks like during the times when it's running?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine and it does the same thing - reboots for no apparent reason. I've tried all the obvious tricks - check the auto off settings, disconnect the humidifier, etc. I've even stripped off a little section of the power supply cord to make sure it is supplying a solid 12V - it is. I am wondering if this is an known defect with these machines ... or maybe the sensors need a good cleaning or replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 08:35 PM)claudemundy Wrote: I have the same machine and it does the same thing - reboots for no apparent reason. I've tried all the obvious tricks - check the auto off settings, disconnect the humidifier, etc. I've even stripped off a little section of the power supply cord to make sure it is supplying a solid 12V - it is. I am wondering if this is an known defect with these machines ... or maybe the sensors need a good cleaning or replacement?
Hi claudemundy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
This has me inclined to try an UPS instead of a standard outlet strip on my S9 Autoset because the machine seems to be resetting during the night, usually aound 2:30 or 3 in the morning and I don't realize that I'm just breathing free air through the ventilation ports in the FFM till whenever the next time it is I wake up, which could be morning. My charts are showing an average usage of 6 hours 30 minutes each night, which is giving me an indication that although power must still be going to the unit enough to record to the SD card and the charts, something else could be causing the unit to revert to Standby mode as if the therapy had been paused. I just notice, upon awakening, that airflow from the machine had stopped and when I hit the button to resume therapy the airflow starts as it should. I also notice in the chart from last night that everything in the detailed graphs cut off at 3:07 AM and my last obstructive, which was a 13, was at 3:05 AM I'll try that UPS tonight and I'll let you all know if my S9 does the same thing after I've implimented the UPS.
Post Reply Post Reply
The UPS won't cure a defective machine. Your symptoms point to a bad controller board and will require a factory repair or outright replacement of the entire unit. Nothing short of that is going to help. Sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
We'll see what happens in these next few nights as to whether my S9 exhibits that behaviour again although I am happy to say that my unit didn't stop therapy at any time during last night's therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the stopping machine in the night folks. Assuming that you have tried different known as good power bricks and cords, turned off the auto off options on the machines in question, is it possible you are turning the machine off yourself in the night and not realizing it???

Might have missed it but didnt see where anyone actually saw the things turn on and off. Just going on the software readings.

If you turn it off without realizing it in the night could be Auto on is finally kicking it back on or you are turning it back on at some point in the night with knowing it as well.

Machines should be throwing error codes if doing that on its own with a good power supply.

Just a thought.Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for drill......... Have you checked the various power cord ends to make sure they are all firmly doing what they are supposed to do?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 539 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.