Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mask Help for Noob
Gross 
Mask Help for Noob
Hello, I am wondering if I am the only one who has had under the nose sores from the dreamware full face. This happened only a week after I got my machine. I am new to CPAP therapy and am trying to find the right mask. I ordered and recieved the F20 airfit and ordered the airtouch mask. My question is are there any benefits to using a Respironics mask with my dreamstation as I know it has the impedance rating. If there is a benefit what mask do you think is "better" the amara full-face gel or the comfortgel blue. What mask is newer of the two? I'm sorry for all of the questions, my AHI was severe 84, and am trying to get the best therapy possible. Right now my average AHI with treatment is around 5. One last kind off subject question, am i the only one who finds the humidifier on the dreamstation to be way too small and have to be filled again for a full 8 hours.

Thanks a lot!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Help for Noob
I would suggest you download OSCAR free from the link at the top of the site. It gives a lot of data people can see and help you with. We can even get a good idea which mask works the best for you. You also need a memory card in the machine (probably already has one in it) and a card reader on your computer again - likely you have it already.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Note: I'm going to set up OSCAR tonight to see more detail between my AHI with the different masks but I believe the F20 is giving me lower AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as masks, it is a problem we all share. What is a great mask for one person is terrible for another. With that being said, air leak is the most important part in picking a mask. The more area the mask is in contact with the face the more chance of leaks. So the full face mask is the hardest to control leaks while a pillow mask causes the least amount of leak ( if you are not a mouth breather)

All masks work equally well with all Cpap machines, it is which you can tolerate best with the least amount of leaks. 

On machines the dreamstation is inferior to ResMed in almost every way IMO.  After 5 years of failed dreamstation ownership I bought out of my own pocket a ResMed 10s and my events went from an average of 25 a night to many nights at 0 events and NEVER more than 3 in the 2 months I have owned it
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I’m kinda regretting getting the dreamstation but I don’t think [Commercial Link Removed] Supplier #1
will refund or replace. Having to fill the water in the night is anoying.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Standard sized PAP machines may be paired with any PAP mask you want. I say it this way as travel PAPs have compatible mask lists. I think once you get educated on PAP therapy by hanging around here, you'll have more reasons to dislike your Respironics than the small humidifier tub size. Comparing similar Respironics PAP to ResMed is Chevy vs Mercedes. For most users, the ResMed delivers much better therapy, with things like EPR being more than comfort only and faster adjustments for events. Choose whatever mask you find that works best. Pillows and Nasal are easier to tame leaks as they have less real estate under the seal. Less surface means less to leak. There's standard full face if you can't control mouth leaks and a subset of hybrid as in lower part full face and top like a nasal or pillow at the nose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I own both the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto and the DreamStation Auto, with the DS being my primary and the ResMed being my travel machine.

I agree about the humidifier on the DreamStation. Here are some ideas:

- You can fill it above the fill line - that can help.

- If you can increase the humidity in your bedroom, that'll decrease how much your CPAP humidifier uses up its water.

- You can adjust the humidity setting on your CPAP. Decrease the humidity level to use less water. But if your mouth or nasal passage feel too dry throughout the night, you know you've decreased it too much. I find I can lower the humidity if I increase the heat.

- Instead of refilling your empty humidifier tank in the middle of the night, you could keep a spare tank pre-filled on your nightstand ready to replace the used-up one.

I live in an arid climate. And I need humidity in my CPAP in order for my mouth & nasal passage to feel comfortable throughout the night. By making the humidity & temp changes in my DS' settings, I'm no longer waking up to an empty humidifier tub.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good ideas lol I forgot I bought an extra tank with my order. I'm trying to see if I have can get my DME to exchange my unit as it has been under a month and my data is showing I would be much better treated with a Bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you renting your unit? If so, you can just hand it back to them and say you no longer want to rent it.

I've done that.

But how to get a machine you want... that may involve more effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 10:35 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Are you renting your unit?  If so, you can just hand it back to them and say you no longer want to rent it.  

I've done that.

But how to get a machine you want... that may involve more effort.

The issue is after I had my car accident I could no longer wait on my local DME who will not be named. They had me wating for weeks and kept giving me incorrect infromation and were very rude.  I ended up buyting it outright from supplyer one and got it the very next day. I have to say the service was great from them. I will try to call there 800 number and see what I can do. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 234 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 892 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 462 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,149 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,470 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.