Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mask rubbing under my nose.....
Mask rubbing under my nose.....
Hello, I am new to the CPAP world, started wearing my mask about a week ago. I seem to have some issues with my nasal mask rubbing just under my nose, causing a blister/sore spot just under my nose between my nostrils. Is this common, or is my mask too small? Any remedies? Should I lower the mask, and have the bottom of it rest lower on my upper lip? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask rubbing under my nose.....
Sounds like the straps might be too tight; or you may be correct about the size of the mask.

Did you try a couple of different sized masks before you got the one you are using? If the straps are comfortable, I'd go back to your supplier (DME/clinic/doc) and ask to try a different size or a different type of mask.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum CPAPdude,

I can not say much about your mask, since I do not know what make and model it is. Generally, for a nasal mask the bottom cushion should rest between your nose and your upper lip. Applying lanolin to the area before putting the mask on may help. It is not uncommon to have some irritation from the mask although sizing might make a difference. Was your mask fitted by a respiratory therapist? Do you clean your mask cushions regularly and do you wash the skin on your face before putting the mask on to remove the skin oils? This is recommended.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a week in, I'd recommend seeing the place where you got it and make sure it is fitted correctly.

But yes, nasal masks sit under the nose, basically on the top lip. Any higher and air isn't able to get into your nose.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I think I will contact my supplier and get their feedback. This early in, there shouldn't be a charge to replace the mask, correct? I do recognize more energy, alertness and drive in myself since starting the machine. I got more done last Saturday than I have in the past month. By the way, one thing I have noticed about myself since using my machine, is more of a happier feeling throughout the day, especially at work. Things don't seem to irritate me as much anymore, if at all. Anyone else feel like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 01:22 PM)CPAPdude0209 Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I think I will contact my supplier and get their feedback. This early in, there shouldn't be a charge to replace the mask, correct? I do recognize more energy, alertness and drive in myself since starting the machine. I got more done last Saturday than I have in the past month. By the way, one thing I have noticed about myself since using my machine, is more of a happier feeling throughout the day, especially at work. Things don't seem to irritate me as much anymore, if at all. Anyone else feel like this?

All normal reactions, Mr. Dude. Good job working your therapy.

A sore under the nosie can be a big deal. So hopefully you nipped it in the bud? If not, you pretty much have to get it healed up and that can be tricky with a nasal or pillows mask. That's when I went to my full face mask. Then once healed back to the pillows never to return again.

But talk to your DME and see what they suggest.

Again, you're off to a great start, so good on you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Most companies offer some type of "30 day mask return" offer.

Your pressure of 7 is fairly low so you shouldn't need your mask super tight (if properly sized mask) but some people are more sensitive than others.

Possible fixes:

correct sized mask
proper placement of mask
different brand of nasal mask
different type of mask (pillows or full face mask)
remzzzs (or other liner between you and mask)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CPAPdude0209,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might get some HPA Lanolin crream and use that to help clear up the soars on your nose. The mask should rest more on your upper lip. Since you are so early into this, you might talk to your DME, (Durable Medical Equipment,) company and see what they have to say about your mask problem.
It's great to hear that you are doing much better since you've started CPAP. Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck and keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 12:42 PM)CPAPdude0209 Wrote: Is this common, or is my mask too small? Any remedies?
Put equipment in your user profile so we can see it at a glance
Try one size up, different mask, mask liner may helps
Nasal pillows might works better for you

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 160 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 114 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 295 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,283 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 715 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 508 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.