Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Hello again everyone, is CPAP offered to patients with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome? Does it depend on any one particular result. I have posted my results earlier and one of the members kindly said that CPAP may be an option. Also is there a difference between obstructive sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome?

I am worried about driving because of my drowsiness and because of the drowsiness i have become very clumsy. I have stopped driving and hopefully my consultant can advise me about driving.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong : )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Post your numbers!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry here they are,

(TST) 03:25:00
Sleep Efficiency [%] 42.7
Sleep latency stage 1 00:13:59
Sleep latency stage 2 01:24:29
Deep sleep latency. 03: 25: 59
Wake index 28 (8.2)

Obstructive. 4 (1.2)
Total A. 4 (1.2)
Hypopnoea. 22 (6.4)
A+H. 26 (7.6)

Number of Desaturations 18 (5.3)
Minimal sp02 [%] 88 Time: 04:45:00
Baseline 02 Saturation. 92
Average sp02 [%] 93
Number desaturations < 90% 2
Sum of all desaturation 2.6%

Total LMs index 45 (13.2)
PLMs with Arousal index 1 (0.3)
LMs with Arousal index 2 (0.6)

Snore Index 659 (192.9)
Snore episodic [%TST] 17.3

Total Arousal 76 (22.2)
Spontaneous A. 51 (14.9)

Severely poor sleep
Fragmented sleep architecture
Most respiratory events were Hypopnoeas on supine position

Diagnosis Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome.
Post Reply Post Reply
that looks like an AHI of 7.6. between 5 and 10 if you are symptomatic, or have comorbid conditions (high bp, obesity, diabetes, afib...) Insurance will generally pay fir cpap treatment. If insurance is not in the picture, you just need a doc to give you an rx. It does sound like a cpap might help, it also sounds like there may be other factors causing severely poor sleep, but if those other factors are near apnea arousals then cpap might be the key.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 02:50 PM)DariaVader Wrote: that looks like an AHI of 7.6. between 5 and 10 if you are symptomatic, or have comorbid conditions (high bp, obesity, diabetes, afib...) Insurance will generally pay fir cpap treatment. If insurance is not in the picture, you just need a doc to give you an rx. It does sound like a cpap might help, it also sounds like there may be other factors causing severely poor sleep, but if those other factors are near apnea arousals then cpap might be the key.

Thanks for your reply and funny Dielaughing reference to hypochondria!
I don't think however that's a factor. Sleep Apnea Syndrome is a serious condition if left untreated and can cause severe daytime sleepiness and not being fully alert. I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, so i doubt there's something else causing my lack of sleep. I have been extensively investigated and nothing has shown that could cause the symptoms i was having. Sleep Apnea is the likely cause i imagine, so at least hypochondria is not my diagnosis thankfully. Sleep Apnea is my diagnosis. Hopefully i should be treated.

Best Wishes
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 02:50 PM)DariaVader Wrote: that looks like an AHI of 7.6. between 5 and 10 if you are symptomatic, or have comorbid conditions (high bp, obesity, diabetes, afib...) Insurance will generally pay fir cpap treatment. If insurance is not in the picture, you just need a doc to give you an rx. It does sound like a cpap might help, it also sounds like there may be other factors causing severely poor sleep, but if those other factors are near apnea arousals then cpap might be the key.

Sorry Sad DariaVader,

I just saw your signature now, so forgive me if i took it personal. This is what lack of sleep does to someoneDont-know

Best Wishes
Post Reply Post Reply
My original diagnosis, six years ago, was "mild obstructive sleep apnea"
During the first sleep lab in Sept 2009, I had a total of 44 events
AHI was 8.6
AHI considerably higher during REM
Min oxygen saturation was 88%
but mostly over 90%

Based on that I had another titration sleep lab night, both the obstructive apneas and hypopneas were virtually eliminated
and I was issued a RemStarM heated humidifier machine, set at a constant pressure of 10. I've used that machine every night since then, and only this past month changed to the current machine as listed in my profile.

So yes, mild sleep apnea can be treated with CPAP. I live alone, drive alone, and have not fallen asleep at the wheel in the 5+ years since my diagnosis.

Fortunately, now my equipment is much more sophisticated at reporting what is happening while I sleep, and there are lots more options for air delivery via masks.
As I've aged and moved 3 times since the original diagnosis, and had several intense life stress events, I now have severe SA, but also have better doctors and better therapy.

Hope you can get what you need to have a better and longer life. I'm grateful, because my brother [also SA] and I both are now convinced our mother had SA and was never diagnosed, and died much too young after a couple of decades of never having a good night's sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed originally with "mild" OSA.
My experience leads me to believe there "aint no sich animal."
I have accomplished more with 8 days cpap than I had in the last year and no longer yawn or nap in the middle of the day.

So I hope you can acquire a machine ASAP. Personally I wasn't willing to wait for the insurance gears to turn. My PCP wrote my Rx and has been most supportive and helpful. My only regret was I didn't do it sooner. I wish you well.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Any AHI above 5 is considered a clinical level of sleep apnoea and your insurance will cover it. Below it, not likely - however, feel lucky that you have a mild case, which means that your titrated pressure will not be very high and the chance that you will be able to adapt to sleeping with the device is very high. Good luck in your quest for a good night's sleep. It is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 03:33 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote: Sorry Sad DariaVader,

I just saw your signature now, so forgive me if i took it personal. This is what lack of sleep does to someoneDont-know

Best Wishes

lol.... yeah it's a stupid siggy but it hits my funny bone...
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.