Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
RE: Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
My AHI was "only" 5, but because I have Type 2 Diabetes and Premature Ventricular Contractions, as well as severe drowsiness, I was prescribed a CPAP and my insurance does cover it (Aetna).

My doctor wanted to burn my soft palate to cure it, but my insurance most decidedly did NOT cover that (and I wasn't too thrilled with his "it might work" attitude).

I wasn't really expecting a big change on cpap, but I got a BIG change on CPAP. It's been 3 months now and my resting heart rate (after about 2 weeks) went from 85-90 to 60-65. My blood pressure (though it wasn't "high" before) went from 120/75 to 105/58. I am not as tired as I once was and I feel like I can think again.

My Respiratory Disturbance Index was 15 on one of my tests and 36 on another. It's down to 0 now and I think it's made all the difference in the world. Basically, the RDI shows that I was waking up 15-36 times per hour but it didn't rise to the level of being classified as a hyponea or an apnea.

My pulse ox has gone from Average O2 of 94/low of 82 to Average of 97/low of 93. So, the cpap has done wonders for me!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear your success story.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 06:20 AM)kdmorris410 Wrote: My AHI was "only" 5, but because I have Type 2 Diabetes and Premature Ventricular Contractions, as well as severe drowsiness, I was prescribed a CPAP and my insurance does cover it (Aetna).

My doctor wanted to burn my soft palate to cure it, but my insurance most decidedly did NOT cover that (and I wasn't too thrilled with his "it might work" attitude).

I wasn't really expecting a big change on cpap, but I got a BIG change on CPAP. It's been 3 months now and my resting heart rate (after about 2 weeks) went from 85-90 to 60-65. My blood pressure (though it wasn't "high" before) went from 120/75 to 105/58. I am not as tired as I once was and I feel like I can think again.

My Respiratory Disturbance Index was 15 on one of my tests and 36 on another. It's down to 0 now and I think it's made all the difference in the world. Basically, the RDI shows that I was waking up 15-36 times per hour but it didn't rise to the level of being classified as a hyponea or an apnea.

My pulse ox has gone from Average O2 of 94/low of 82 to Average of 97/low of 93. So, the cpap has done wonders for me!!

Hi there and thanks for your thoughts.

I hope to get treated with CPAP, everyone on the forum agrees it may be a very good option for me. Yes you would be whacked having less oxygen for sure! I have no energy at all and am sleepy most of the time. As I've told all on the forum that i am going to quit smoking asap. Smoking is the cause of a lot of problems i would say and my oxygen won't come back up if i don't quit, so there is no choice anymore but to throw them to the wind and be done with it once and for all.

Hopefully i will be on the mend soon if my doc recommends CPAP and i quit the cigarettes. Do you know what pressure is usually given to patients with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 02:21 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote:
(05-11-2015, 06:20 AM)kdmorris410 Wrote: My AHI was "only" 5, but because I have Type 2 Diabetes and Premature Ventricular Contractions, as well as severe drowsiness, I was prescribed a CPAP and my insurance does cover it (Aetna).

Hi there and thanks for your thoughts.

I hope to get treated with CPAP, everyone on the forum agrees it may be a very good option for me. Yes you would be whacked having less oxygen for sure! I have no energy at all and am sleepy most of the time. As I've told all on the forum that i am going to quit smoking asap. Smoking is the cause of a lot of problems i would say and my oxygen won't come back up if i don't quit, so there is no choice anymore but to throw them to the wind and be done with it once and for all.

Hopefully i will be on the mend soon if my doc recommends CPAP and i quit the cigarettes. Do you know what pressure is usually given to patients with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

I was given an auto pap - so it adjusts the pressure. When I started, it was set to 4-20 but it's at 9.6-20 now.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the record, Sleep Apnea and Sleep Apnea Syndrome are the same thing. The "Syndrome" is just tossed in there to cover all the different forms of SA. The lab report may have said syndrome just to keep from playing doctor and making a diagnosis. Who the heck knows?

Let's discuss why a CPAP would probably help you.

numbers in parenthesis are the numbers per hour
Obstructive. 4 (1.2) - this means for the entire test, you had 4 OSA events or 1.2 events per hour
Total A. 4 (1.2) - since you didn't have any central events (a good thing!) your total AI is the same as above
Hypopnoea. 22 (6.4) - 22 times your airway narrowed but didn't close all the way, still resulting in decreased O2 intake
A+H. 26 (7.6) - This is called the AHI. Total apnea events plus total hypopnea events divided by the time.

In other words, every hour, you have 7.6 events. That comes out to one every 7.9 minutes. You either are experiencing narrowed airway or a collapsed airway. Every 7.9 minutes. That's like every 8 minutes, someone is shaking you awake by choking you.

Total Arousal 76 (22.2) - This means you woke up 76 times during the test.
Spontaneous A. 51 (14.9) - Not sure what this is or if it is included in the number above. Either way, you are being pulled out of sleep a lot. That's not good.

Will a CPAP help that? Not sure. Depends on why you were being pulled awake. Snoring maybe. You can snore and not be in a hypopnea event. It says later most of your HI happened while on your back so you could rig it up so you stay off your back but I don't think that will "cure" you enough.

So back to our math and time. 22.2 times an hour is 2.7 minutes you are waking up. Add in that you are twitching (that's the LMs) 13.2 times an hour. Yeah, not sleeping well, are you?

Have you talked to the doctor? Asked his/her opinion? Gone down the sleep report and had it explained to you?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was labeled as "mild to moderate" so I'm guessing I was probably at AHI of 5 --- I have no idea what my numbers actually were, 8 years ago. They *might* tell me, if I ask, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, we settled on a constant pressure of 8, and it has been very good for 4 years. (We started at only 5, 8 years ago. That was okay for a bit, but then proved not to be enough.)

Just to give you another data point. 8 is my data point. Smile Dunno why they chose a constant pressure rather than an auto, but it works well so I haven't asked.

bgDeb
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 07:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For the record, Sleep Apnea and Sleep Apnea Syndrome are the same thing. The "Syndrome" is just tossed in there to cover all the different forms of SA. The lab report may have said syndrome just to keep from playing doctor and making a diagnosis. Who the heck knows?

Let's discuss why a CPAP would probably help you.

numbers in parenthesis are the numbers per hour
Obstructive. 4 (1.2) - this means for the entire test, you had 4 OSA events or 1.2 events per hour
Total A. 4 (1.2) - since you didn't have any central events (a good thing!) your total AI is the same as above
Hypopnoea. 22 (6.4) - 22 times your airway narrowed but didn't close all the way, still resulting in decreased O2 intake
A+H. 26 (7.6) - This is called the AHI. Total apnea events plus total hypopnea events divided by the time.

In other words, every hour, you have 7.6 events. That comes out to one every 7.9 minutes. You either are experiencing narrowed airway or a collapsed airway. Every 7.9 minutes. That's like every 8 minutes, someone is shaking you awake by choking you.

Total Arousal 76 (22.2) - This means you woke up 76 times during the test.
Spontaneous A. 51 (14.9) - Not sure what this is or if it is included in the number above. Either way, you are being pulled out of sleep a lot. That's not good.

Will a CPAP help that? Not sure. Depends on why you were being pulled awake. Snoring maybe. You can snore and not be in a hypopnea event. It says later most of your HI happened while on your back so you could rig it up so you stay off your back but I don't think that will "cure" you enough.

So back to our math and time. 22.2 times an hour is 2.7 minutes you are waking up. Add in that you are twitching (that's the LMs) 13.2 times an hour. Yeah, not sleeping well, are you?

Have you talked to the doctor? Asked his/her opinion? Gone down the sleep report and had it explained to you?

Hi there and thank you for your thoughts.

I am seeing my Respiratory Consultant tomorrow, I'm sure he will discuss the results with me then. The diagnosis on my results is Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. Do you think i will need treatment of some sort? There is obviously something not right. My oxygen levels are low and i feel quite groggy. Hopefully he will recommend what he thinks is best regarding my results. In your opinion and from looking at my results is it sleep apnea that is the cause or could there be something else going on in the mix?They wrote also on the report that no significant PLMs were recorded. It says PLMS with Arousal index 1 (0.3) and LMs with Arousal index 2 (0.6)

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I also twitched a lot in my sleep but despite that, only four were connected to events and I had an AHI of 68. But with the use of CPAP, my PLMS has basically been reduced to just some leg twitching when my snoring is the loudest.

My bet is due to the low O2 levels, the broken sleep patterns, and the high hypopneas, he will recommend CPAP use. They may want to do a second sleep study with a CPAP to titrate you. I'm surprised they didn't already. Or they may give you a loaner autoPAP to take home for a week or so to see what it says. That is the best option.

Make a list of your questions and take it to the doc office. Don't leave without having your questions answered unless the doc is a jerk and belittling you for daring to ask. In that case, bring your list here and we'll help with what we can. And we'll help you push for the best machine you can get out of the jerk so you don't have to see him again.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 10:45 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I also twitched a lot in my sleep but despite that, only four were connected to events and I had an AHI of 68. But with the use of CPAP, my PLMS has basically been reduced to just some leg twitching when my snoring is the loudest.

My bet is due to the low O2 levels, the broken sleep patterns, and the high hypopneas, he will recommend CPAP use. They may want to do a second sleep study with a CPAP to titrate you. I'm surprised they didn't already. Or they may give you a loaner autoPAP to take home for a week or so to see what it says. That is the best option.

Make a list of your questions and take it to the doc office. Don't leave without having your questions answered unless the doc is a jerk and belittling you for daring to ask. In that case, bring your list here and we'll help with what we can. And we'll help you push for the best machine you can get out of the jerk so you don't have to see him again.

Hi again and thanks for great advice. I'm sorry but i must have misled you about my Respiratory Consultant. The results are just back and i am seeing him tomorrow. I like him a lot because he is the one who has been treating me now for 5 years. He sees me 3 times a year and i always have pulmonary function tests done at his request before i see him. He recently carried out a bronchoscopy and that was clear thank god!, He also referred me to have endoscopic sinus in 2011. I'm sure he will offer CPAP or Titration study. I may have misled you about him or there was a mistake on my part with what i wrote but i find he is excellent. Could you kindly do the math on my 02 Saturation?

My 02 Saturation number of desaturations is 18 (5.3) Minimal sp02 [%] 88 ( Time ) 04:45:00
Baseline 02 Saturation 92
Average sp02 [%] 93
Number of desaturations < 90% 2 (Time) 0.3%
Sp02 time <90% number index 0.1% (Time) 00:00:12
Biggest Desaturation [%] number index 6 (Time) 06:04:57
Average Desaturation [%] number index 3.7 (Time) 17.8 s
Longest Desaturation [s] number index 35.8 (Time) 05:59:35
Average Min. Saturation [%] 91
Deepest Desaturation [%] 88 (Time) 04:45:02
Sum all desaturation number index 00:5:21 (Time) 2.6%
Average Circulatory delay [s] number index 16.1

What does all this mean? Is this why i am feeling the way i am, foggy memory,clumsy, off balance, drowsy and blurry vision, i have been running to neurologists and ophthalmologist for the past 8 months, and all that has shown up was intermittent convergence spasm causing a squint. Told to get reading glasses with the maximum possible + that is comfortable for me. I wrote to my orthoptist and asked her if low oxygen levels could cause my blurry vision? She has not replied so far. The more i think about it the more i feel it's the low level of oxygen that's been causing a lot of my symptoms, I could be wrong but something is not right somewhere, and I'm really glad i had the sleep study done, it has shown a few things that might hold the key to all my different symptoms.

Sorry for bragging on but i can't wait to see the Doc tomorrow.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong

Post Reply Post Reply
Basically you had 18 O2 events where your blood O2 dropped below threshold or dropped too fast.

The lowest it dropped was to 88% and it stayed there for what I assume was 4 min 45 sec total. I'm not sure what all those other numbers are.

The average person's sleep O2 should stay above 92-93% (that's the lowest "safe"). Some articles say that 90% or higher is okay. 88% isn't OMG low but it is getting there. That means that your body was functioning on only 88% of the oxygen it needed to recuperate during sleep. Low O2 can cause all sorts of issues which is the main problem with sleep apnea. Not sure about the blurry vision but being tired will cause blurry vision for sure. OSA is linked to a long list of illnesses and conditions including hypertension and diabetes.

And I did not mean to imply your doctor was an idiot. We're just used to a lot of sleep docs being idiots when it comes to patients wanting to be proactive in their own care. So I was preparing you ahead of time for that scenario. Girding your loins, so to speak! LOL
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 289 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 126 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 561 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.