Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
RE: Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
(05-12-2015, 08:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Basically you had 18 O2 events where your blood O2 dropped below threshold or dropped too fast.

The lowest it dropped was to 88% and it stayed there for what I assume was 4 min 45 sec total. I'm not sure what all those other numbers are.

The average person's sleep O2 should stay above 92-93% (that's the lowest "safe"). Some articles say that 90% or higher is okay. 88% isn't OMG low but it is getting there. That means that your body was functioning on only 88% of the oxygen it needed to recuperate during sleep. Low O2 can cause all sorts of issues which is the main problem with sleep apnea. Not sure about the blurry vision but being tired will cause blurry vision for sure. OSA is linked to a long list of illnesses and conditions including hypertension and diabetes.

And I did not mean to imply your doctor was an idiot. We're just used to a lot of sleep docs being idiots when it comes to patients wanting to be proactive in their own care. So I was preparing you ahead of time for that scenario. Girding your loins, so to speak! LOL

Hi there,

Getting my CPAP tomorrow! Doc said my airways collapse during sleep and that i am exhausted. He said it will be on automatic setting for two weeks,then i go back and he will decide the pressure needed. He said i will need to persevere and that it should help me a lot with my sleepiness during the day and foggy memory.

Will this be difficult to use and how will I feel the first time i use it? As in will i feel funny or something. What to expect basically? You were right about my events happening every 7- 8 mins, he told me that today. Will I get pressure from it while it's on automatic?

Just thought you could give me an idea if you could. Much appreciated.

Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try the machine in the office? What kind of mask did you decide in the office? A full face mask -- a nose only mask -- nasal pillows, which point the air into the nostrils and don't enclose the rest of the nose? I like the nasal pillows best, and have since day one. But everybody is different. With those, it feels like the air is blowing into my nose, and keeping my airways open. Feels quite nice! But I don't remember what it first felt like. Other replies?

Oh - I do remember: there are several sizes of the nasal pillows. They always start me on "small". And then after a few breaths I feel like I'm not getting enough air into me, and beginning to suffocate. Yes, the pillows fit my nostrils, but the HOLES in them aren't big enough to pass enough air. When I deduced that, I tried the next size up, even though the fitting person disagreed. It opened the base of my nostrils a bit (but that's what those glue-to-the-outside of the nose strips do too) -- and it let more air in. Perfect! So, don't be afraid to disagree with the DME or the Dr about the fit of the mask or the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first put a mask on I was amazed at how much I *didn't* feel the air coming in. I did struggle to exhale some against the pressure, and now have my EPR set to 3 and would go higher if I could (Expiratory Pressure Relief) Most folk seem to have EPR at 2 tho. I sometimes wonder if it's on when I am waking... although that is silly since breathing through the mask when the pressure is not high enough is difficult and uncomfortable. I have heard others say similar.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:58 PM)DariaVader Wrote: When I first put a mask on I was amazed at how much I *didn't* feel the air coming in. I did struggle to exhale some against the pressure, and now have my EPR set to 3 and would go higher if I could (Expiratory Pressure Relief) Most folk seem to have EPR at 2 tho. I sometimes wonder if it's on when I am waking... although that is silly since breathing through the mask when the pressure is not high enough is difficult and uncomfortable. I have heard others say similar.

Ditto to all above. I don't feel the air coming in, and I also like my EPR (exhale relief, in lay terms) set at 3. So if you find it hard to push your breath back out, ask for (or set for yourself) a higher EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:46 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: Did you try the machine in the office? What kind of mask did you decide in the office? A full face mask -- a nose only mask -- nasal pillows, which point the air into the nostrils and don't enclose the rest of the nose? I like the nasal pillows best, and have since day one. But everybody is different. With those, it feels like the air is blowing into my nose, and keeping my airways open. Feels quite nice! But I don't remember what it first felt like. Other replies?

Oh - I do remember: there are several sizes of the nasal pillows. They always start me on "small". And then after a few breaths I feel like I'm not getting enough air into me, and beginning to suffocate. Yes, the pillows fit my nostrils, but the HOLES in them aren't big enough to pass enough air. When I deduced that, I tried the next size up, even though the fitting person disagreed. It opened the base of my nostrils a bit (but that's what those glue-to-the-outside of the nose strips do too) -- and it let more air in. Perfect! So, don't be afraid to disagree with the DME or the Dr about the fit of the mask or the nasal pillows.

Hi there and thanks for your thoughts, Tomorrow i will be going to the hospital to have it all explained to me and as i know nothing about the machine the respiratory guy's there are going to go through everything.

I will hopefully get what i feel comfortable with, hopefully we will all agree. Thanks for giving good advice, things i wouldn't think of myself. This is a fantastic forum, where newly diagnosed sufferers can get tips from sufferers who have gone through the process, so I'm really glad i found this forum, We are all in the same boat so to speak! Smile

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong

Post Reply Post Reply
PS With the nasal pillows, they send a few sizes home with you. It's usually a whole "kit". I didn't try the next size up until I tried to sleep with the first size. It took 20 minutes or so to realize that I wanted more air than I was getting. After you have decided your proper size, your re-orders (they wear out) will probably be for only the one size.

Masks are done slightly differently. No experience there. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:58 PM)DariaVader Wrote: When I first put a mask on I was amazed at how much I *didn't* feel the air coming in. I did struggle to exhale some against the pressure, and now have my EPR set to 3 and would go higher if I could (Expiratory Pressure Relief) Most folk seem to have EPR at 2 tho. I sometimes wonder if it's on when I am waking... although that is silly since breathing through the mask when the pressure is not high enough is difficult and uncomfortable. I have heard others say similar.

Hi there and thanks for your thoughts,

I should be fine with it, All beginnings are difficult! they say. Is EPR the pressure? Doc said i will be on CPAP long term, Do sleep apnea sufferers always need CPAP, or can they come off it eventually? Doc also said not to drive until it's under control, i think when had one look at me that was enough! I look like someone who hasn't slept in a long time, and i do feel quiet groggy a lot of the time so better to be safe than sorry!

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 05:53 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: PS With the nasal pillows, they send a few sizes home with you. It's usually a whole "kit". I didn't try the next size up until I tried to sleep with the first size. It took 20 minutes or so to realize that I wanted more air than I was getting. After you have decided your proper size, your re-orders (they wear out) will probably be for only the one size.

Masks are done slightly differently. No experience there. Smile

Thanks, the nasal pillows sound good, i will ask them tomorrow. I think the Doc said mask. Hopefully all will work out. Thanks for your reply Smile

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 05:58 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote: Hi there and thanks for your thoughts,

I should be fine with it, All beginnings are difficult! they say. Is EPR the pressure? Doc said i will be on CPAP long term, Do sleep apnea sufferers always need CPAP, or can they come off it eventually? Doc also said not to drive until it's under control, i think when had one look at me that was enough! I look like someone who hasn't slept in a long time, and i do feel quiet groggy a lot of the time so better to be safe than sorry!

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong

EPR is the pressure relief when exhaling. If my pressure is 10 and my EPR is 2, then the pressure will drop to 8 when I breathe out. Some people appreciate pressure relief and others find the drop in pressure disconcerting - or even stop breathing for a bit in response to it which the machine will record as a CA apnea. Everybody is different. You will know within a night or 2 what some of your preferences and needs are for your therapy. CPAP is usually lifetime.... unless you are able to find a way to fix the cause you will always need it, but dont worry, you will love it after it makes you feel better Big Grin There are not many causes that can be completely alleviated through any means, unfortunately.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 06:10 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 05:58 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote: Hi there and thanks for your thoughts,

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong

EPR is the pressure relief when exhaling. If my pressure is 10 and my EPR is 2, then the pressure will drop to 8 when I breathe out. Some people appreciate pressure relief and others find the drop in pressure disconcerting - or even stop breathing for a bit in response to it which the machine will record as a CA apnea. Everybody is different. You will know within a night or 2 what some of your preferences and needs are for your therapy. CPAP is usually lifetime.... unless you are able to find a way to fix the cause you will always need it, but dont worry, you will love it after it makes you feel better Big Grin There are not many causes that can be completely alleviated through any means, unfortunately.

Thanks for explaining all that to me. Indeed it is very true what you say about not many causes. We'll accept and move on. I'm looking forward to feeling better, for a long time i didn't know what was wrong, i think when you know the cause, it makes it easier than not knowing, and you get so frustrated with yourself and others telling you it's all in your head. I thought i was going crazy for awhile because i knew there was something but it took awhile to find out.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 555 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.