Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mixed apnea
RE: Mixed apnea
I believe your centrals are ideopathic. The manipulations we typically apply with PS are unlikely to help.

What is your Trigger Setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, 
Trigger=High
So if no change will help, should I buy ASV or iVAPS?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes these apnea are clearly not hyperventilation induced and therefore not treatment emergent (if doctor thinks they are). There are no signs of obstruction being present either, your respiratory drive just kicks out for some reason and doesn't restart until something (high CO2 or low O2) triggers significant recovery breathing. 

This appears to be a case of idiopathic or medication/medical condition induced central apnea. One of the first questions should be if you are on any medication that can cause central apnea/respiratory depression (opioids are the most common culprit) and if so if there are alternatives to try.

This machine won't be capable of treating this apnea and Resmed ASV is the best option. I wouldn't settle with another brand. 

It is worth asking your doctor to look into potential causes of your central apnea (especially if you are younger in age).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, my O2 ring vibration alarm wakes me and triggers recovery...
I take sometimes Omeprazole for reflux, but it does not seem to help my apnea.
1. Gideon, do you agree with ASV conclusion?
Since Resmed ASV is out of stock everywhere I checked, I would consider other options until I can get Resmed ASV.
2. What should be the initial settings, in my case for:
   2.1 BiPAP ASV
   2.2 BIPAP ST
   2.3 BIPAP IVAPS
Post Reply Post Reply
Top of the page there is a supplier list, Resmed ASV are in stock at some of the suppliers.

You don't want ST or IVAPS, large reason being that neither have easybreathe waveform making them uncomfortable. Those are machines meant for people with severe COPD, neuromuscular disorders etc that require significant ventilatory assistance. You just need a machine that will work to kick start your spontaneous breathing and stabilize it which is what ASV does.

Here is Resmed titration protocol where you will see ASV as the choice for central apnea and initial settings.

https://document.resmed.com/documents/pr...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
On the absence of non apnea pulmonary issues and no neuromuscular issues ASV is the machine of choice. I haven't seen a clear response that you have no complicating conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
1. What do you think should be the parameters settings for the ASV?
Resmed ASV is not sold in my country so it might take several weeks to ship it from US and get customs release.
2. If I rent bipap st what should be the parameters settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon, you are right I still don't have definitive diagnosis.
When I am awake I don't need ventilation support and my O2 level is normal. Do you think that this rules out iVAPS?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  hi there, another mixed apnea here cexer 8 477 03-11-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: cexer
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Central Mixed Apnea - Diagnosis/Treatment with 36% Ejection Fraction Mavan 10 1,047 06-02-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,396 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Vauto, PLM, FL & Mixed Apnea sheepless 164 11,748 06-25-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Justanotherguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.