Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mouth breather and nasal mask
RE: Mouth breather and nasal mask
Last night I used 3M Transpore Clear Tape(I couldn't find white) and indeed it was pretty good. The problem is the residue that remains as you already said. Do you still use tape in your mouth or have you used to it? Unfortunately I had 7 AHI in the morning  Huh 

What is a better choice finally a Full Face mask or a way to keep your mouth shut during sleep with whatever method you choose?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that my main problem is my mouth pop up in order to let air GET OUT not to breath in. Does this mean I should alter my pressure settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a similar issue with air escaping around my lips - you can only tighten a chin strap so much. I have a neck pillow on order - hopefully this will help. Has anyone discovered any other ideas?

Cheers & Thanks
Howioe
Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.

Denis Waitley

Post Reply Post Reply
I find that has a mouth breather all me a full face mask works.

I have also heard many mixed reviews on chin straps

I would keep trying full face mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to lip flutter mouth leak (with nasal pillows) all the time. much as I'd rather not wear the thing, a soft cervical collar stopped almost all of it, even up to 25cm pressure. it also reduced obstructives, especially cluster events, and ahi. don't see why it wouldn't do the same with other masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
You want the maximum surface area contact with the tape's adhesive surface.  I rip off enough tape that it will extend approximately 1.5 cm beyond the corners of my mouth.  I also keep my lips loosely closed and bulge out my cheeks to replicate what the tape should be adhering to during its peak demands on 'purchase' when my jaw is slack and I'm attempting to mouth breathe.  I do this and THEN apply the tape.  I apply more of the tape to the bottom lip than to the top lip with the top edge resting approx. 3.4 mm above the lip line.

Then I relax my cheeks and lips and press the tape everywhere firmly against my skin.

I use the 3M NexCare water-resistant tape that is 2.5 cm wide.  When I apply it as I describe above, ensuring that it extends well past the corners of the lips, and not a lot of it just below my nose, and take four seconds to press it firmly into place across its surface, I get no leakage, even if the adhesive gets exposed to a lot of saliva.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use nasal pillows and tape mouth works well for me-
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 102 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 990 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 810 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.